FreewareBB

> FEATURE: Process Lasso Fighting Back!
marko
Dec 21 2008, 02:49 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

You may remember last week we listed Process Lasso as removed from FreewareBB due to the authors site showing as RED in McAfee SiteAdvisor, well unfortunately this is just one of a growing number of sites who are being unfairly tagged by McAfee. After we removed Process Lasso we were contacted by a great friend of the site (hi Regina) who pointed us to the user comments on SiteAdvisor, and I?m glad she did. We since contacted Jeremy Collake, the man behind Process Lasso and here?s what Jeremy had to say ?

I guess you know the basic premise of Make-Service, it is a simple utility to run a normal application as a system service. It has been around for years. A couple months ago, some malware author included it with their malware, presumably using it to help them launch a normal process as a service. This resulted in a large number of false alarms, many that got fixed only to reoccur again. I gave up and removed Make-Service from my site.
MakeService was actually part of Process Lasso until these false alarms popped up, so for a few weeks I had Process Lasso identifid as malware. I was forced to remove MakeService from the free version of Process Lasso, moving it only to the Pro build -- where I could deal with a few false alarms.
This isn't the first time I've dealt with false alarms. The number of false alarms on PECompact'd executables increased substantially the last couple years, and I've been in a constant battle to keep that software alive. Needless to say, nobody wants to compress their executable if it will result in false alarms.

However, the issue with MakeService is different in that it is not related at all to executable compression. In a way, this gives the anti-virus/anti-malware companies even less of an excuse. What really has bothered me most is the complacency many of these companies show. They don't seem to care about false alarms. The resolution process is rarely quick and easy. To them, false alarms probably do nothing but help generate revenue. They really don't care about the damage they do to the reputation of small software developers -- I think that's an established fact.

Visit Jeremy?s website here: http://www.bitsum.com/

We couldn?t agree more with Jeremy and have re-established Process Lasso on FreewareBB and we would ask that everyone support Jeremy in his quest to have McAfee remove this tag and contact them:[email protected].
Both Jeremy and freewarebb have since attempted to contact McAfee although they have clearly chosen NOT to respond and as such we now withdraw any previous support intimated or written towards McAfee as their service cannot be relied upon.

2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version
Time is now: 8th February 2009 - 07:59 PM
Skin by IPB Customize