Freeware Software - Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
 Windows 7 or Windows XP?
V
marko
post Feb 16 2010, 05:37 PM
Post #1

Platinum Poster!

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

OK, I've finally managed to get myself onto Windows 7, well not entirely, but I at least managed to trial Windows 7 for a few months. Now I'm not going into any of the technical details of Windows 7 purely because for the majority of us it doesn't really matter, but what does matter is how Windows 7 differs to XP in our everyday use.

I use a computer daily, for both work and pleasure and have done so for more years than I care to remember, and over those years there is one thing that rips my knitting more than anything, and that's waiting for the computer to do something, and initially I have to say Windows 7 impressed me on that one. On the face of it, it definately appeared that Windows 7 would install, load and open items a tad faster than XP. When it came down to using the various applications on the computer, I didn't notice any significant improvement, if any!.

Windows 7 gives off a rather pleasing feel and it's almost 'nice' to use, not that XP isn't nice, but I've came to know XP as a workhorse, feed it now and again with the odd tweak and clean here and there and it will continue to work hard. Windows 7 on the other hand seems to churn along without any need for attention, it's not particularly bothered if you don't take care of it, it will do it itself!. One thing that did really annoy me about Windows 7 though is the similarities to Vista, the Control Panel, the Networking functions and the annoying prompts asking "are you sure you want to do this"!.

That said, I beared with it all and almost got over these and other issues that I found, not with the operating system but with my own attitude towards the OS.

Taking everything into account, how I use the PC, it's applications, the internet, networking, and everything else which could be considered insignificant like tabs across the bottom of the taskbar when other windows are open, Windows 7 makes subtle but important changes which for me are still a step backwards.

Windows 7 for example, attempts to clean up the taskbar (potentially good idea) when you open up multiple windows, so let's say you have 3 Internet Explorer windows open and 3 computer explorer windows open. Looking at the taskbar, you wouldn't know you had 6 windows open, instead each window is hidden behind it's icon and hovering over the icon itself will automatically pop up a preview of the multiple windows. Nice to an extent, but for me I personally want all the info spread out in front of me so I click once and it's there. Similarly, the run command in XP conveniently stores the ran commands in a format that only requires a simple mouse click to access them all, meaning no need to input them again and although Windows 7 does a similar job of listing them it always seems to take forever and a day to show up!.

There are other minor changes in Windows 7 which although, as I say, are minor, are nevertheless changes to what I liked in XP. It's not really any longer a case of not being able to let go of XP for me, but not able to welcome a new operating system with the same excitement (ok, that's a bit sad but just humour me will you?!).

All in all, I can't really knock Windows 7 that much, if you want a tidier and more streamlined OS with minimal interaction with the system, then I would say Windows 7 could be for you, but a word of warning, like Vista it can be memory and CPU intensive, with my experience taking almost 35% of my memory on idle (and I have 2Gb installed!) and a CPU useage of around 5%-10% whereas XP sits comfortably using barely no CPU at all and a fraction of the memory used for W7.

As XP is phased out of support, I'm less concerned than I was about having to switch over to the new OS but alas it will come one day, but until then I'm STILL sticking with my XP, warts 'n' all! (IMG:https://freewarebb.com/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
James (Jim) Hill...
post Feb 16 2010, 08:28 PM
Post #2

Platinum Poster!

Group: Super Mod
Member No.: 1,067

Hey Marko - Great article....terrific read (IMG:https://freewarebb.com/style_emoticons/default/good.gif)

I suspect there will be many more similar reactions to your own, especially from long term XP users.

The "long term" bit is key. XP has been around a very long time and familiarisation has helped establish a real comfort zone.

I look at it sorta like losing an old friend and gaining a new one; the old friend had some good points and some bad points but in time we tend to overlook those annoying traits and value our friend for all the positive aspects. Now the new friend comes along and this new friend is a little different to our old friend, does things differently and reacts in a different way. At first we are unsure of our new friend and wish we had our old friend back, someone we knew well, were used to and trusted. But, given time, we come to recognise that our new friend has many good points too and, as we get to know them better and better, the bad points gradually fade into insignificance. We still recognise the differences, the respective good points and bad traits but now we trust our new friend just as we did our old one.

I wonder what sort of reactions we could expect if the positions were reversed, i.e. Windows 7 had been around for 9 years and XP was the new kid on the block. I suspect there would be a very similar percentage expressing an identical response.

It's simply...human nature!!

Cheers mate....JIM

+Quote Post
grumplstink
post Feb 19 2010, 01:20 PM
Post #3

New Poster!

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,947

(IMG:https://freewarebb.com/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Yes I agree with you Marko, although I run windows 7 because of the virus problems I was getting running XP. Even with good hard cash anti virus software, I had to reinstall XP several times due to crashes. Windows 7 Ultimate, seems to be less vulnerable to virus etc. attacks and I can run 95 percent of my old XP programs. I also find it's "nice" to use. (IMG:https://freewarebb.com/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
marko
post Feb 19 2010, 01:30 PM
Post #4

Platinum Poster!

Good to hear you're better on Windows 7 grumplstink, although I can't possibly imagine ever buying another antivirus program again, or any software for that matter as freeware always meets my needs - if you ever need any advice on the best freeware app to suit your requirements, simply let us know in the Request Forum and we'll do our best to make a suggestion (IMG:https://freewarebb.com/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Cheers
Marko

+Quote Post
bolgwrad
post Feb 21 2010, 09:21 AM
Post #5

Advanced Poster!

Group: Advanced Member
Member No.: 540

I've tried Vista, W7, even Hackintosh, and stick with XP mainly because after however many years it's like a reasonably solid old car whose every niggle and idiosyncrasy you're familiar with - even the almost inevitable yearly reinstall isn't so much of a drag any more. I have Vista on a netbook and put W7 on an old Compaq TC1100 (!) where it actually works really well - but I still wouldn't put either on my main PC because apart from ther tablet functions they're not quantifiably better than XP, and Explorer itself is definitely worse; what I'd really like to be able to do is burn this XP installation onto a PROM chip!

+Quote Post
marko
post Feb 21 2010, 12:51 PM
Post #6

Platinum Poster!

I think there will be many people who will not let go of XP for those and other reasons, I for one will be clinging onto it for dear life when MS finally phase it out altogether, and I'm sure we'll see many voice their opinions when crunch time comes and we're told XP is no longer supported, alas I fear it won't make any difference and we will have to get ourselves over to Windows 7 but until then I'm sticking with ye ole XP!

+Quote Post
James (Jim) Hill...
post Feb 22 2010, 02:28 AM
Post #7

Platinum Poster!

Hey you guys - Do you still have the black and white CRT television sitting in the lounge room? How's the old VCR going? Can you still find a shop to process the negatives from your camera into photos? How's the old Vauxhall Victor traveling these days? Have you seen one of those new fangled multi-function printer/scanner thingees yet? Does your telephone dial still go round and round when you dial a number?

LOOOOOOOOOL (IMG:https://freewarebb.com/style_emoticons/default/sarcastic.gif)

Sorry guys...couldn't help myself!!

Cheers....JIM (IMG:https://freewarebb.com/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
marko
post Feb 22 2010, 08:43 AM
Post #8

Platinum Poster!

(IMG:https://freewarebb.com/style_emoticons/default/happy.gif) Valid points me thinks Jim .... Vauxhall Victor, wow, that was a car (IMG:https://freewarebb.com/style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

+Quote Post
bolgwrad
post Feb 24 2010, 12:38 AM
Post #9

Advanced Poster!

Hey Jim - how's that new Toyota working out for you? Though I must admit, it took a while to find the SD slot in my old Hasselblad. And as for multi-function printers: puh-lease!

+Quote Post
James (Jim) Hill...
post Feb 24 2010, 01:33 AM
Post #10

Platinum Poster!

QUOTE (bolgwrad @ Feb 24 2010, 08:38 AM) *
Hey Jim - how's that new Toyota working out for you? Though I must admit, it took a while to find the SD slot in my old Hasselblad. And as for multi-function printers: puh-lease!

LOL

How on earth did you know I had a new Toyota?? (IMG:https://freewarebb.com/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
bolgwrad
post Feb 24 2010, 07:55 PM
Post #11

Advanced Poster!

Have to confess...my Merc is 25 this year.

+Quote Post
marko
post Feb 24 2010, 10:28 PM
Post #12

Platinum Poster!

That's nearly older than my 2 kids ages combined!! Bet it still moves though (IMG:https://freewarebb.com/style_emoticons/default/yes.gif)

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

Fast Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Insert Image
Emoticons
Wrap in quote tags
Wrap in code tags

Enable email notification of replies |  Enable Smilies |  Enable Signature