Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Important Notice Regarding Certain Files On FreewareBB
FreewareBB > Community Forums > Site Feedback & Suggestions
marko
Unfortunately, due to a company called streamlinenet.co.uk, certain files on FreewareBB will be unavailable for a short time. These files were hosted on a seperate server on our sister domain, freewarebb.co.uk, using an account from this company which aparently offered unlimited bandwidth and unlimited disk space.

However, recently we noticed issues regarding this host and the inability to download files from them and after contacting them they claimed it was because we didn't have an index page on the server. Huh?! OK, let's try that one again ... contacting them again I explained we merely used the account to host files and although we do HAVE an index page it wasn't as important to us as the downloads themselves.

So, never mind the fact their server was no longer "serving" our files, the next reply we get is this ...

Thank you for your query

"Our package is used for the downloading of files, not for hosting a website"

This is against our terms of service and strictly not allowed. The web hosting and contents on the server must be used for we hosting and not file sharing.

It has been nessesary to notify a manager of this abuse and therefore you may be contacted by them soon.

Pleas close this enquiry as resolved as we are not able to provide support with the use of your account.

Kind Regards,
StreamlineNet
Streamline.Net - The home of good value web hosting

Now I don't know about you, but there are 2 words here that offend me immediately, one of which is "file sharing" and the other is "abuse".

I would not consider hosting files and linking to them from ONE website file sharing, but instead file hosting and as for "abusing" their system well, they will have to explain that one themselves. However, they will no doubt use this and the fact we're probably driving a whole load of traffic their way which is the reality of the issue if we're honest as most "unlimited" host's don't take well to having more than 1mb of bandwidth used each month. In hindsight, it was very naive of us to use a host such as this in the first place.

However, we are currently formulating a plan with the fantastic host of FreewareBB, Michael from MDD Hosting and will hopefully soon have a solution to knock the socks off future downloads hosting by us. It's called a Content Delivery Network and means the file's we host will be located at various locations across the world and as such you would be downloading them from your closest point resulting in much faster downloads!.

For the moment, please bear with us while we work our way through the files on the site and change their download location to the new location once it is set up, and if you do run across a file which is still pointing to the old download location feel free to reply here and we'll have it changed asap!.

Regards
Marko

streamlinenet, streamline, ukhost, webhost streamline
w_williamson
Isn't this just a joke, seriously, 2 bit host with a 2 bit attitude!
ablaze
Most 'unlimited' host's aren't worth dealing with marko, but I guess that's obvious now mate - sorry you're having this hassle, you really don't deserve it, I'm sure you'll be sorted in no time though
Best Wishes
marko
Thanks for the support guys, it's appreciated as the days become longer, the fight becomes harder and the bills get bigger!
James (Jim) Hillier
Sorry to hear this Marko.....sounds as though you have engineered a terrific and much better alternative though, maybe a blessing in disguise.

cheers....JIM
marko
Thanks Jim, and yes this will increase download speeds for those files we host ourselves 100%. It will only apply specifically to those files we host, but at last count this is nearly 1000 downloads on our own server and we do this when we can't physically link to the authors own download for some reason or when the author ask's if we can host it but this is definately the future of hosting and maybe at some point in the future we can even consider migrating the entire site across to this method which would provide blazing speeds throughout the entire site!.
Cheers
Marko
TheRaven
I'm not sure if anyone noticed the fact that they are obviously full of SH!--yaughT. In one response they're assuming this and that indirectly about "file sharing" and complain about abuse and in another they concede that they aren't there to host a web site but, need an index page.

I was unaware that you could have a web site without an index page and you are to have an index page but, you did not according to them. You aren't allowed to have an index page because they don't allow you to host a site. Even a single web page is a "WEB SITE." Confused yet?

When the inquisition gets this tangled you know it is going to be nothing more than a monumental waste of time and energy.

I'm thinking that they're resource limited and trying to look for a backdoor out without making it look as though they are limited resources to counter scaring off new clientel. It could also be their way of trying to drum up some high end business via a dedicated commercial account of which they will force you into acting like other idiot freeware boards that throw bandwidth based monthly fees at users. These companies are run by idiots that couldn't flank a monkey on the evolutionary scale if the chimp was sleeping.

CNet -- Downloads.com, SourceForge, and numerous other facilities provide naggless download services rendering the obsolete and idiotic pay to download free stuff vendors useless -- like I am sure they are in real life after they clock out.

I would just start looking for some free hosting services from the Linux community and many Linux Groups are still not terroristic, mundane, used up garbage. As long as you're willing to support some download links to some free Linux software you're family to them as that is all that they require. Check out Linux.org for any possible leads to such a hosting service as many prioritize freeware vendor support boards and groups like this one as top. You guys are worth something to the community quite to the contrary of some.

All the garbage rambling is in reference to the fact that I can't stand the anti-Microsoft jargon that you hear from some of the Linux groups. I know some of them are making money at Linux and Linux based application systems and don't, not for a single minute, believe otherwise. It is a simple case that some programmers just suck and are jealous of any competition and merely use M$ as their scape goat because they're trying to cash in on the fact that we might get jealous of Bill Gates cause he's a Billionaire. I plan on being one myself (a billionaire) -- free is good but, it still costs money. You just have to watch out for predators.

"What are we doing tonight Brain" Pinky
"The same thing we do every night at six o'clock p.m. Pinky -- try to take over the world!" The Brain
"Snarf" Pinky

Oh yeah!
marko
Thanks Raven
I'm still seeing downloads from freewarebb.co.uk no problem marko, have they done a uturn?
w_williamson
I don't think they have done a uturn, but I know it's been awful quite from them since we replied - one would assume that if you're in breach of their terms they would suspend your account although for me their quote that we're not allowed to "file share" requires clarification as we're not actually "file sharing" but instead "file hosting". There are no illegal files hosted on their server, and they probably now know this which is why they have decided to keep quite, we only deal in freeware.

Irrespective of what they decide to do, I don't think marko is prepared to give them a second chance as he rarely suffers fools gladly, as far as I'm aware he's still trying to arrange a solid solution with the current host of freewarebb to have these files hosted on a CDN (Content Delivery Network) which I personally have already tried myself and can assure everyone this is definately the way forward for the site as the downloads we host are probably faster than I've seen on any other site!

I'm sure marko will chip in at some point a little later once he has more news
ablaze
Any further forward with this issue Marko?
marko
Sorry, meant to update this a few days ago!, Yes, we've got a CDN established now and you may have already noticed we've started updating those downloads which we host - although you won't actually be able to tell by physically looking at the download if we host it or not, you will definately notice the download itself as it will come flying down to you!. At some point in the future, I would like to think it possible to host many more downloads on our own servers to give our users the fantastic speeds of the CDN although cost's for this technology can be extremely high and we're just not in a position to accomodate useage on a grand scale

You never know though, watch this space as anything can, and usually does happen, but for now I hope everyone enjoy's our downloads hosted on the CDN!.

As for streamlinenet, they still haven't responded to me and I'm not expecting them to either, chances are they have already seen this thread and know the damage they have already caused, as far as I'm concerned they can shove their 2bit hosting as far as they can get it!.
Cheers
Marko
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board 2001-2009 Invision Power Services, Inc.
CommunitySEO 1.2.3 2009 IPB SEO Module