Freeware - Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register ) · RSS FEEDS    Bookmark and Share

IPB

a-squared Anti-Malware 4.5 (1 yr lic.) for FREE!!
James (Jim) Hill...
Nov 10 2009, 09:24 PM
Post #1

Platinum Poster!

Group: Super Mod
Member No.: 1,067

This offer has now EXPIRED

Emsisoft are releasing their top rated a-squared Anti-Malware program with a free one year license (normally $40.00us).

This offer is valid for 24 hours only commencing at 11:11 (CET) on Wednesday 11th November, 2009.

Just follow this link to obtain your license: http://www.emsisoft.com/en/order/24h/

Please note: A new user account is required to get the free license.

marko
Nov 10 2009, 10:41 PM
Post #2

Platinum Poster!

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

Think I may just give this one a whirl myself Jim, I'm an Avast freak at heart but with a year free it's always worth a shot!
Cheers
Marko

James (Jim) Hill...
Nov 11 2009, 01:06 AM
Post #3

Platinum Poster!

Group: Super Mod
Member No.: 1,067

Hey Marko - Great minds do think alike...I am a mad Avast fan too!!

Just a minor word of warning re A-Squared. It is a very good product but does have a reputation for being a tad over zealous and throwing up a few false positives. Best to double check anything it identifies as being malware....just in case.

On an slightly different note. I visited my friendly neighborhood computer repair shop a few weeks back and was chatting to the owner (we are mates). He was singing the praises of Microsoft's new anti-malware product, MSE.

You can imagine how many infected machines are brought into his shop for repair. He has been using Kaspersky, Trend Micro, MBAM, etc. for scan and remove and he reckons MSE beats them all hands down. He was telling me that MSE is identifying and removing malware which none of the others can even find.

Now, I am a sceptic at heart so do not generally accept second hand information as being gospel. However, I have known this bloke for over 10 years, he is a very good technician who has been dealing with these sorts of problems, on a day to day basis, for many years.....you just gotta take some notice.

Food for thought?

BTW: I have my nice new copy of Windows 7 Home Premium but haven't installed it yet. I have been sorta hoping one of my contacts may come up with a free copy for me and I could save this one as a spare. Anyway, that now seems unlikely so I shall be installing W7 soon. I'm going to install MSE for security and see how it goes. I'll post something back when I have more definitive information.

Cheers mate......JIM

marko
Nov 12 2009, 06:19 AM
Post #4

Platinum Poster!

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

Believe it or not Jim, I've actually found Avast can throw a few wobbler's also. Just recently I downloaded a driverpack for integration to an XP install disc and Avast reported a Trojan in it, but trusting the vendor 100% I figured it must be a false positive. I contacted the developer and they were shocked, but at the end of the day it did turn out to be a false positive but caused a stir!.

Regarding MS Security Essentials, it does look promising and if it is found to do the job as well as your man says it can only be a good thing - after all if they make the operating system who better to protect it?!.

Here's the links for anyone wishing to download it right now and give it a whirl ....

MSE for Windows XP
MSE for Windows Vista

Look forward to your follow up on this one Jim (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Cheers
Marko

Fast Reply
Please press the 'Add Reply' button only once - members with a post count of 10 or less along with guests will have their replies moderated. An administrator will view and approve your submission before it becomes visible on the site.

Enable email notification of replies |  Enable Smilies |  Enable Signature

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd January 2010 - 10:47 AM