Freeware Software: Searching Freeware - Freeware Software

Page 1 of 1

Searching Freeware CDL Truck Log

#1 User is offline Matthew

• New Poster!
  • Pip
    • Group: Members

Posted 27 August 2008 - 12:59 PM

I am looking for a freeware to keep a digital log of my drive time. All CDL drivers must keep a log of hours of service. We have to turn in our log sheets and get to keep a copy of them. Daily logs can stack up after awhile so I would like to enter them into the computer. I know there is a paid versions on the web but is there any freeware?
    This would be for record keeping and to pay for record keeping just does seem right.
    Any Ideas?
    Thank You.

#2 User is offline marko

• Platinum Poster!
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Root Admin

Posted 27 August 2008 - 01:12 PM

Hi Matthew, and welcome to our forum. Your question is definately a good one! as I can't even think off the top of my head any such freeware, but I will certainly investigate this for you and I'm sure I'll be able to come up with something. Just as a thought, have you tried any of the items in our Scheduling,Calendars & Organisers section? You might actually be able to use something in there which will fit your needs rather than a specific piece of freeware to do the job. Nevertheless, leave this one with me and I'll see if I can rustle something up for you :D
      Cheers
      Marko

#3 User is offline marko

• Platinum Poster!
      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
        • Group: Root Admin

Posted 27 August 2008 - 02:05 PM

OK, I'm not as confident as I was anymore!!! A quick scan of our resources and a bit of research on the whole CDL matter tells me there is little (if any) freeware available. Furthermore, few of the paid versions will happily satisfy and DOT requirement although one product has been quoted often and that is the software here: http://www.driversdailylog.com

I think what's happened here is that the few decent programs which may have at some point been freeware have required major overhauling because of all the legal requirements now in place (primarily enforced by DOT) and as such the authors could no longer justify giving the software away as their time and efforts have been considerably stretched!.

I'm guessing that you probably have came across this software yourself on your quest to search the net but it really is looking glum on the freeware scene for such software. I will keep my eyes open just in case we happen to stumble upon anything like this, but unless a freeware author takes it upon themselves to start such a project I doubt the one's who are producing the current software will loose what revenue they must be making and revert their software to freeware.

Sorry, and please let us know if you manage to find anything.
        Marko

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

This post will need approval from a moderator before this post is shown.

1 User(s) are reading this topic
        0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Alexa