←  General Chat/Off Topic

FBB

»

Is software that asks to change your homep...

Poll: Is software that asks to change your homepage still a nuisance? (9 member(s) have cast votes)

Please vote

1. Yes (3 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. No (5 votes [55.56%])

Percentage of vote: 55.56%

3. Don't mind either way (1 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote

marko's Photo marko 25 Nov 2008
We all know that if software changes your homepage it rarely make's it on to FreewareBB, but what about software that request's your permission to alter your home page? Is this still a nuisance to you or would simply say 'no' and forget about it?

google's Photo google 26 Nov 2008
Generally it doesn't bother me either way but I think for people who are less suspicious than me then it would matter as they may not see the options and just click all the way through the install only to find their home page and default search have been changed, so I voted YES

Guest_compgeek_* 26 Nov 2008
would say you couldn't really class this as a nuisance, I mean if it's asking you for permission that's like the install itself saying "you want to install me?" so definately no for me

Guest_flash_* 26 Nov 2008
nah, if it's asking then we can't really say we weren't warned

stargazrroger's Photo stargazrroger 03 Dec 2008
The way I see it is if it did not ask and then changed it, then it would be a nuisance . Other wise its not, if you wanted to change it back you can. Bottom line NO

Guest_scamp_* 05 Dec 2008
Would definatley say no as if the author respects your privacy enough to ask your permission then thats OK with me, not that I probably would say yes mind you, but I appreciate them asking :lol:

James (Jim) Hillier's Photo James (Jim) Hillier 19 May 2009
Sorry, I may be a tad late with this but I've only just registered.

To me it all comes down to whether the option is 'opt in' or 'opt out'. I think that is true of all 'extras'. If the option is enabled by default then, IMO, that is an attempt to take advantage of those who don't pay proper attention. On the other hand, if the option is disabled by default so that the user has to select it in order for it to install/make the changes...then I can see no real harm.

cheers...JIM

marko's Photo marko 19 May 2009
Hi Jim, it's never too late to reply in my book :P Good point about what is default I have to admit, it's often the case that many people don't even look at what is being asked of them when installing software and when it comes to toolbars I'm really not a fan as they can often lead to problems from unscrupulous vendors (unless of course it's our own toolbar which is probably the best toolbar in the world - LOL!) but I do think we could 'nanny' users a bit too much and at the end of the day wouldn't like the thought of not listing a fantastic bit of freeware simply because it includes a toolbar.

Obviously, if the toolbar contained spyware or any other form of annoyance then it's a no brainer for us, it simply wouldn't get listed, but if it's a simple safe toolbar then sometimes this can be the only source of sponsorship or income for a lone developer and could in fact be just the right kind of toolbar someone was looking for.

I think it comes down to sense at the end of the day, sense from the developer that people don't want popup toolbars and word from the users to let us all know they have installed a toolbar which is not good - between us all we can further the aims of the good guys and push the bad guys to the bottom of the queue!

mick's Photo mick 20 May 2009
I think changing the Home page or adding a toolbar without express permission stinks!! (i.e. default, where , if you dont untick it, it will get changed!)

Reason: Because quite a lot of users dont understand the question!!! Simple. (same reason why Vista is annoying... average users dont understand the barraige questions, expert users find it very annoying)

Us nerds that use forums :P (usually) fully understand what is happening and remember to remove/ restore is so easy (for US!) but not for your average user. Like most things, everything EASY once you KNOW how to do it!

marko's Photo marko 20 May 2009
It definately does Mick, without a doubt, but it's a catch 22 for us in most circumstances where we have to consider each toolbar install on it's own merits - if it's not harmful or aggresive and the software it's attached to is good then we have a dilemma on our hands whether to list it or not. If we do then many people may not appreciate it because of the toolbar is on by default, but if we don't then many will simply consider us not to list those applications and utilities which are most wanted or needed.

I really do think this comes down to each individual user and while I understand first hand that most people will simply click through an installation without first stopping to check what it is they are clicking I guess the most we can do in those circumstances is make sure when they do that they are not installing something that can harm their PC, and that's why we at FreewareBB do go to great lengths to check things beforehand so that the users don't have to worry about these things.

In the very near future we also hope to start promoting safe computing for users with a series of tutorials and threads on every aspect of installing, cleaning and maintaining a healthy computer as what research we have done so far would still indicate that many are completely unaware of the most basic of threats such as those websites which contribute or in some cases actively promote adware, spyware and even viruses!. For example, in our efforts to promote FreewareBB and research our SEO strategy, keywords such as "freeware" or "freeware software" brings back frightening results from WOT and SiteAdvisor, with some of those sites on the first page listed negatively because they link to other sites which are known to distribute spyware and other annoyances which only proves that for the majority of users it isn't about safety but more to do with convenience, not that I'm saying they don't care about the safety of their PC at all, but more a case of they are completely unaware of the threat to their PC.

Hope that all makes sense :P
Cheers
Marko