Welcome to FreewareBB

You are browsing our site as a guest ...why not become a full member, it's fast, free and allows you to participate in our forums and add or comment on downloads and much much more! - we NEVER share your details with anyone else, that's a promise! ... REGISTER FREE TODAY

");

Microsoft Internet Explorer 8 - Stop Showing the New Tab Page

7 replies to this topic

#1 NewsBot

Platinum Poster!

• Members
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:01 PM

Stop showing the new tab page when you open new tabs from Internet Explorer 8.

When opening new tabs from Internet Explorer 8, by default the browser opens a "new tab page" or about:Tabs. From here Microsoft asks "what do you want to do next" and offers options such as re-opening closed tabs, using inPrivate browsing, and using an Accelerator.

While some people may like this tab welcome screen, others would rather show just a blank tab. And yet others may want their home page to appear in all new tabs....

Read more at MalekTips.

View the full article
    Remove These Ads

#2 Guest_Guest_*

• Guests

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:10 PM

nice1 works a treat

#3 Guest_Guest_*

• Guests

Posted 03 December 2009 - 06:37 PM

good pointer... this still doesn't get rid of the most annoying part, which is the silly 'about:blank' url, but it's better than the nanny page. Can anyone tell me why they can't just leave the location bar **empty**??

#4 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
    • 1,480 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 06:42 PM

Wouldn't even hazard a guess, it's Microsoft after all!

#5 Guest_Trent_*

• Guests

Posted 25 May 2010 - 03:48 PM

suddenly today I get the "What do you want to do next" tab when opening a new tab
      I got used to seeing my most frequently visited sites whenever i open a new tab

how do i get that back

and, why did it suddenly get changed?
      Remove These Ads

#6 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
      • 1,480 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:01 PM

Not sure about IE, but in Firefox I know by installing the google toolbar I get a list of my most recently visited sites on a new tab. To change was appears in a new tab in IE, hit "Tools" -> "Internet Options" then under the "Tabs" heading hit "Settings" then under the "When a new tab is opened, open" heading choose from the drop-down menu. It could be you've just installed an update to IE or ran through the IE8 setup wizard, I know from experience this can seriously mess up your browser!!

#7 Guest_Trent_*

• Guests

Posted 25 May 2010 - 06:17 PM

I am thinking my automatic updates did this
        think I read someplace i would need to get Firefox or Opera in order to continue to use that tab feature
        just another MS issue

thinking I will set up my own home page with links on it LOL

thanks for response

#8 wewe

New Poster!

• Members
        • 6 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:32 AM

IE 8 rocks. And most I like is the "New Tab Page". Simple and useful.:lol:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Alexa
          Remove These Ads