"); //]]>

Removing Windows 7 dual boot

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Administrators
  • 12,313 posts
    If, like me, you dual boot when testing out a new operating system, you may come across a similar issue I did with Windows 7 when trying to actually remove the partitions boot information once you've done your testing and now want to remove Windows 7. Although you can format or simply destroy the information on your Windows 7 partition, this won't remove the dual boot option at startup so here's the quick way to do that ...

Insert your Windows 7 installation disc, cancel any autorun menu's that may popup and then open up the run box (Start => Run) and in there enter ...

For Windows XP systems

D:\boot\bootsect.exe /nt52 ALL /force

For Windows Vista systems

D:\boot\bootsect.exe /nt60 ALL /force

... replacing the drive letter "D" with the drive letter of your own DVD drive. Then hit "OK" and after a second or so a DOS box should appear then dissapear and you can then restart your machine and voila no more dual boot prompt!.

Hope someone finds this info useful :P
    Cheers
    Marko
    Please post your queries, requests and enquiries in the forums - do not PM me directly as I cannot answer everyone individually - your post stands a much better chance of receiving multiple replies from other members too on the forums.

Please remember that we have people from many different timezones on the site and if your post requires a reply it could take longer at some at some points because of this.

Forums
    New Freeware on the site
    Updated Freeware on the site
    RSS Subscribe
    Report bad freeware here

James (Jim) Hillier

James (Jim) Hillier

Platinum Poster!

• Super Mod
    • 1,237 posts
      Hey, thanks for this quick and easy fix Marko. I actually have a second HDD installed for testing other OS's and just disconnect the primary drive when installing. This eliminates the dual boot entry but means having to change the boot sequence in BIOS when switching between OS's.

Now I know how simple it it to correct that situation I shall, in future, install in dual boot!!

thanks again mate.....JIM
      Jim Hillier - Managing editor Daves Computer Tips.com