Freeware Software: Is your wireless network available to your neighbours? - Freeware Software

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is your wireless network available to your neighbours?

#1 User is offline marko

• Platinum Poster!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Root Admin

Posted 16 October 2009 - 09:06 PM

Just today I switched ISP and can now boast a brand new 50Mb connection to the internet highway!. However, I was surprised when connecting our laptops to the new router when I saw a few neighbours whose routers were unsecure!. This basically means I could connect to their router and use their internet, not crime of the century I know, but whilst on their internet connection it would mean I could do anything I like and browse anywhere I liked whilst any repercussions would fall firmly on their shoulders. I could download from warez sites or do any number of things which could land them in a whole heap of trouble and whilst it's unlikely neighbours would do this, the potential for criminals to sit outside your home in their car and hop on to your internet connection to conduct illegal activities is quite real these days.

Only recently has their been talk of ISP's disconnecting people who download from file sharing sites which only goes to show people are taking these matters very seriously indeed. So, the point in my ramblings is simple, if you have a wireless router it's prudent to double check and make sure your secure. The process of actually securing your router is relatively simple and can be done in a few minutes although you would need to have the user manual to hand or alternatively go to the manufacturers website and download/print the instructions needed to secure and configure your wireless router.

In it's basic form, securing your wireless connection means applying a password so anyone wishing to use your internet connection would need to know the password. You should also have a password protecting the configuration of the router itself as without one anyone could enter the routers config panel and change your settings easily, possibly rendering your router useless to you and others using it in your home.

So, dig out the manual for your router or find the instructions online and check to make sure your router is secured!.

#2 User is offline James (Jim) Hillier

• Platinum Poster!
      • Group: Super Mod

Posted 17 October 2009 - 01:36 AM

Great advice as usual Marko. Simple WEP security should suffice for most...it's fairly easy to setup too.

50MB connection!!!!!!!! I just turned a horrible shade of green!!

#3 User is offline marko

• Platinum Poster!

Posted 17 October 2009 - 08:41 AM

Hi Jim, it's a long story between me and my ISP's but I've returned to Virgin Media after a year or so to give their 50Mb connection a try and I must admit I'm impressed so far. I'm not getting the full 50Mb but I didn't think I would anyway, but previously having their 20Mb service I was lucky to get 1Mb and switching over to BePro I thought I would get at least 20Mb from their service but alas could only receive 8Mb!. Below is the screenshot from SpeedTest.Net which, although not 100% reliable is showing a much healthier picture than before!.

With such high speeds you can understand why I was a little concerned over the wireless issue as it would be difficult to spot someone riding on the back of your connection unless you actually specified which wireless clients are allowed to connect via the MAC address, etc.

Posted Image

#4 Guest_Guest_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 17 October 2009 - 10:45 PM

no way, 39mb! thats not in my lifetime :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

#5 User is offline James (Jim) Hillier

• Platinum Poster!
          • Group: Super Mod

Posted 18 October 2009 - 12:48 PM

Seems one of your 'Guests' is impressed too Marko!! :rofl:

I know how he/she feels. I am stuck here with access to ADSL only, fastest speed possible is 8mbps...my current plan allows for speeds up to 1.5mbps.

And you are right of course....that 'up to' bit is appended to most advertised speeds. I don't reckon anyone would ever achieve the maximum.

Here in 'the bush', wireless is limited to one provider only, it is very expensive and signal strength pretty ordinary. I doubt we shall ever see ADSL2 or fiber optics, no cable is available outside of the large city areas so choices are very limited. We only just got access to broadband about 4 years ago, prior to that I was on dial-up so I thank heavens for small mercies.

My lovely wife has her computer setup about 10 feet from mine (and the router) so I have her machine connected wirelessly. We live in a peaceful little village of about 600 population (largely retirees) so no huge security risk. I still set up simple WEP security though....can't be too careful.

Yes, I can certainly understand the importance of securing any wireless connection and especially involving the sort of speeds you are talking about.

Good advice on changing the router password too mate. Most people do not realise their router uses a universal username and password...i.e. admin, admin. Please people change that password to a nice strong one of your own choosing....don't forget to write it down somewhere and keep it safe too. :rofl:

39mbps!!!!....I musn't be jealous, I musn't be jealous, I musn't be jealous, I musn't......................

I'm off to the cot now....just gunna lie there and dream of the possibility of that kind of speed.

Goodnight....JIM

#6 User is offline marko

• Platinum Poster!

Posted 18 October 2009 - 04:49 PM

:rofl: I'd much rather sooner swap the views you have Jim for my internet connection!! One day, one day!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
            • You cannot start a new topic
            • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
            0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users