Reohix - Platinum Guard GIVEAWAY!!

6 replies to this topic

#1 James (Jim) Hillier

James (Jim) Hillier

Platinum Poster!

• Super Mod
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 07:20 PM

Platinum Guard from Reohix is software to remove unwanted temporary and unused junk files from your system, including all sensitive data related to web browsing (supports Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera and Google Chrome).

Platinum Guard also includes a secure file shredder. This is the latest version which normally sells for $13.99us.

NOTES:
    This product is obviously very similar to the well known and often used CCleaner. I've searched around the net for any useful reviews but could not locate any (although it was not a particularly thorough search). I did come across some user reviews which in the main were complimentary/favourable, including the inevitable comparisons with CCleaner. The user reviews suggested that Platinum Guard cleans more areas of junk files and is overall more effective than the free CCleaner.

If you have any first hand knowledge of this product please post here for the benefit of the FreewareBB community.

You can read more about Platinum Guard and download from here: http://www.reohix.com/platinumguardgiveaway.htm#Download
    Jim Hillier - Managing editor Daves Computer Tips.com

#2 google

google

Gold Poster!

• Advanced Member
    • 52 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 11:22 PM

Can't say I've had any experience of it myself Jim but will try it out and if I find anything useful I'll post back, thanks for sharing

#3 google

google

Gold Poster!

• Advanced Member
      • 52 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 11:48 PM

OK, this is probably the fastest review ever but I decided to try it out just now and first impressions not too good if I'm honest. I purposely left the browser open and tried a quick clean, the software just hung until I closed down the browser whereas CC Cleaner tells you to close the browser down if your trying to analyze cookies, etc. Then, Platinum Guard found 3 files from a folder on my desktop it included in the recommended clean but these files are actually needed for the script inside that folder I use every day, but CC Cleaner didn't include these files in it's recommendation. So far, 2-0 to CC Cleaner!.

The other strange thing is that after I ran a scan using Platinum Guard it told me it had free'd up about 20Mb of space from TEMP folders, etc but then when I ran CC Cleaner it told me I would save 23Mb, so I cleaned again and CC Cleaner seemed to remove the lot without trace. I'm sure Platinum Guard can be useful in the right situation but for me I'll be sticking to my ole trusty CC Cleaner and wouldn't swap it from my toolbox for Platinum Guard anytime soon.

Mucho respecto though Jim for the share

#4 marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
        • 25,940 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 11:52 PM

Yes, thanks for sharing Jim and thanks google for your input :ireful:
          Please remember that we have people from many different timezones on the site and if your post requires a reply it could take longer at some at some points because of this.

Forums
          New Freeware on the site
          Updated Freeware on the site
          RSS Subscribe
          Report bad freeware here

#5 James (Jim) Hillier

James (Jim) Hillier

Platinum Poster!

• Super Mod
          • 1,030 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 12:27 AM

View Postgoogle, on Dec 16 2009, 08:48 AM, said:

OK, this is probably the fastest review ever but I decided to try it out just now and first impressions not too good if I'm honest. I purposely left the browser open and tried a quick clean, the software just hung until I closed down the browser whereas CC Cleaner tells you to close the browser down if your trying to analyze cookies, etc. Then, Platinum Guard found 3 files from a folder on my desktop it included in the recommended clean but these files are actually needed for the script inside that folder I use every day, but CC Cleaner didn't include these files in it's recommendation. So far, 2-0 to CC Cleaner!.

The other strange thing is that after I ran a scan using Platinum Guard it told me it had free'd up about 20Mb of space from TEMP folders, etc but then when I ran CC Cleaner it told me I would save 23Mb, so I cleaned again and CC Cleaner seemed to remove the lot without trace. I'm sure Platinum Guard can be useful in the right situation but for me I'll be sticking to my ole trusty CC Cleaner and wouldn't swap it from my toolbox for Platinum Guard anytime soon.

Mucho respecto though Jim for the share

Hey Google - Thanks heaps for the appraisal...much appreciated!! :ireful:

None of the products posted here are necessarily recommended by myself nor FreewareBB, there will be some good ones and, as you have astutely ascertained, some not so good ones. I just throw these out there with as much info as I can find and leave the decision making up to the individual. I hope everyone appreciates I don't have the time nor resources to test each and every one so, your input is indeed most welcome.

Thanks again.....JIM
            Jim Hillier - Managing editor Daves Computer Tips.com

#6 google

google

Gold Poster!

• Advanced Member
            • 52 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 01:01 PM

Certainly we appreciate the time you have Jim, its a nice addition to an already great site as I see it.

#7 marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
              • 25,940 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 06:04 PM

Same story over on the download section Jim, we can only offer what we consider to be a good download which won't appeal to some but will appeal others - it's all about balance and so long as we continue to offer safe downloads we surely can't go wrong!! :ireful:
                Please remember that we have people from many different timezones on the site and if your post requires a reply it could take longer at some at some points because of this.

Forums
                New Freeware on the site
                Updated Freeware on the site
                RSS Subscribe
                Report bad freeware here