Posted 20 October 2007 - 05:12 PM

File Name: K-Lite Codec Pack Basic
    File Submitter: marko
    File Submitted: 20 Oct 2007
    File Updated: 16 Sep 2010
    File Category: Codecs
    Version No: 6.4.0
    Will Run On: 9x/ME/NT/2K/XP/Vista/7

K-Lite Codec Pack is a collection of codecs and related tools. Codec is short for Compressor-Decompressor. Codecs are needed for encoding and decoding (playing) audio and video. The K-Lite Codec Pack is designed as a user-friendly solution for playing all your movie files. With the K-Lite Codec Pack you should be able to play all the popular movie formats and even some rare formats.

The K-Lite Codec Pack has a couple of major advantages compared to other codec packs
    • It it always very up-to-date with the latest versions of the codecs.
    • It is very user-friendly and the installation is fully customizable, meaning that you can install only those components that you really want.
    • It has been very well tested, so that the package doesn´t contain any conflicting codecs.
    • It is a very complete package, containing everything you need to play your movies.

Contents of K-Lite Codec Pack Basic
    ffdshow
    • ffdshow [revision 3574]

DirectShow source filters
    • Haali Media Splitter [version 1.10.262.12]
    • MP4 splitter (Gabest) [version 1.3.1959.0]
    • MPEG PS/TS splitter (Gabest) [version 1.3.1959.0]
    • FLV splitter (Gabest) [version 1.3.1959.0]

DirectShow video decoding filters
    • WebM VP8 [version 0.9.9.0]

Other filters
    • Haali Video Renderer [version 1.10.175.0]

Tools
    • Codec Tweak Tool [version 4.5.0]
    • Win7DSFilterTweaker [version 3.6]

What's New
    • Updated ffdshow to revision 3574
    • Updated Haali Media Splitter to version 1.10.262.12
    • Updated Codec Tweak Tool to version 4.5.0
    • Updated Win7DSFilterTweaker to version 3.6
    • Minor changes

Click here to download this file

#2 User is offline   TheRaven 

• Gold Poster!
    • PipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Advanced Member

Posted 10 September 2010 - 01:23 PM

Use it. Nice. Feature dense. Word to the wise -- make sure that you have an idea as to what you want when it comes to media codecs. There are many different choices for .mpeg video and I am not talking about XVid and DivX there are many differences between different branches of codecs where some are optimized and others are full blown hi fidelity memory munchers. Some may not be compatible with your O.S. due to whatever reasons. Got to read but, you will benefit -- that I assure you!

K-Lite can be downloaded in several weights -- I prefer the largest, most comprehensive set of media choices available to me. Been using this one since Windows 200 Pro. They have been around and are quite established. Reliable and trustworthy!

Good stuff.

#3 User is offline   James (Jim) Hillier 

• Platinum Poster!
      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
        • Group: Super Mod

Posted 10 September 2010 - 11:40 PM

Hey Raven - I respect your opinion. What do you make of the 'experts' who suggest one should steer clear of these mega codec packs?

Have a read through HERE.

A lot of what is said makes perfect sense to me. Would like to hear your thoughts?

Cheers....Jim

#4 User is offline   TheRaven 

• Gold Poster!
        • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 September 2010 - 04:44 PM

View PostJames (Jim) Hillier, on 10 September 2010 - 11:40 PM, said:

Hey Raven - I respect your opinion. What do you make of the 'experts' who suggest one should steer clear of these mega codec packs?

Have a read through HERE.

A lot of what is said makes perfect sense to me. Would like to hear your thoughts?

Cheers....Jim

Nothing against you, Jim, as I know without a doubt that your ability to weigh an issue is quite sound and tasteful. I detest the site that your link points to due to the fact that over the years I have done quite a great deal of research on many issues and each time that site would appear in the search engine results I would visit it. Each and every time I would get a plain vanilla generalized regurgitation that I could get on any temporary hacker site with about the same enthusiasm. When a site rolls itself as being of a persuasion that caters to "NERDS" and "GEEKS" it should seriously consider what type of commitments that they are undertaking. To actually provide specialized knowledge catering to specialized groups and organizations as these we must consider the following: some are going to be professional Bachelors and Masters level, some will have white coat level occupations with PhD educations, and many will be aspiring young artists in various technologies but, none will need general brown paper bag response to their issue.

My thoughts on the views represented on the page that you pointed out are run of the mill, blatant laziness and I will explain why I feel this way. This is the type of thinking that dumbs down and intimidates everyone when it comes to active, first-person address to their digital existence. More appropriately, this "technology attitude" creates an undesirable and unnecessary dependency that winds up dragging everyone down into a murky ignorance inevitably breeding suspicion and contempt. There is no substitute for competency and the "lack-of" will make any convenience a disaster -- rather than bashing, flaming, raking, or riding the bandwagon they as "technology and hardware gurus" should focus on how to educate someone in correctly interacting with a technology platform more than avoiding responsibility as a so-called group of "experts."

Now, with my opinions above on the line I also understand the other side of the fence where a topical overview can be an essential point in learning and development helping the reader establish a starting point for building a more comprehensive foundation. On this note the site's coverage of the topic discussed regarding "Codec Packages" is valid from the educational stand point that I obsess over without mercy. Some other valid points to acknowledge are the issues of piracy and other criminal activities of which is a severely understated problem in digital living and one that hurts us without us even knowing it. From a purely agnostic, educational platform the site really doesn't delve into how a "normal everyday" end user is going to benefit from this type of software. So, I agree with some of the article and am not totally bias toward the content.

Codec packages are a real world answer to conveniently accessing "soft" video, graphics, and audio drivers from a single repository that can be managed on the client platform for quick, easy access at anytime fashionably. First you investigate: what you need as far as codecs are concerned, what you have as far as codecs are concerned, get educated on the various codecs that you want and/or need, then choose the best variance of a particular codec for your purposes and platform. With all of that said it becomes a process of elimination helping you refine your selections down to the best possible choice for your given objective. It is certainly a Perry Mason ordeal but, it is not a NASA endeavor where the intimacy of physics and space travel should be of concern.

A little work will go along way and your enjoyment, comfort, and growing independence through familiarity will mutate into a level of competency that you will never trade in for popular opinion, status quo, or a free bandwagon ride ever again -- you will be too smart for that.

Windows from Vista on have commercially licensed .mpeg and .avi video codecs as standard. Vista Dream Scenes (Windows video wallpaper used .wmv, .mpeg, and/or .avi video file formats) is proof of concept that Windows is a committed commercial platform oriented to real world media entertainment. Windows 7 can run, but does not come with, Dream Scenes video wallpaper and supports many more formats than Vista. A third party plug-in enables Windows 7 to run video wallpaper with any available system installed video codec -- sweet. Windows 7 also plays .mp4 audio and video, .3GP & .3GP version 2, and a good many others natively. Essentially a codec package really isn't a necessity for Windows platforms anymore but, they still provide good coverage for the general user whom might have additional requirements like OGG Vorbis; etc. It is merely a matter of preferential treatment at this junction concerning Windows and media entertainment.

I feel as though you (Jim) don't conform to the ignorance is bliss philosophy as we had witnessed on some other boards and commend you on being an individual ready to prove that free will and being educated are not sins. Takes an active mind and some serious personal values to get up in the morning and still plug away at the quarry and you are most certainly proof of that concept. Good job.

...and to everyone else willing to make a commitment to a brighter, more educated, independent society my commendations to you as well.

"Soft" as opposed to hard drivers is simply defined as: codecs are soft where they interact with only the operating system or directly interface the API (command line) options of your hardware's drivers. Hard drivers are your hardware's drivers. In an effort to not only distinguish but, make the differences between the two more easily identifiable and understood soft drivers are referred to as codecs and hardware drivers are called drivers. You have codecs and drivers hence. A little something I picked up over the last decade or so. I am getting old and my gray hair is starting to show through it all -- this really stinks.

#5 User is offline   James (Jim) Hillier 

• Platinum Poster!

Posted 17 September 2010 - 07:07 PM

Hey Raven - Thanks for the response mate.

First you investigate: what you need as far as codecs are concerned, what you have as far as codecs are concerned, get educated on the various codecs that you want and/or need, then choose the best variance of a particular codec for your purposes and platform.

Is that not what the article more or less said should be done and is the opposite of what codec packs provide? Here are extracts from the article:

You may only need one or two filters or codecs, but the codec pack will come with 10, 20, 30 or more parts!

The alternative to codec packs is to install only the filters and codecs that you need one at a time

That appears to coincide with what you are saying?

I am neither for nor against the codec packs and am just playing devils advocate here. :) That said, I have never installed one myself and have always just downloaded and installed each codec as needed.

Also, I have experienced serious conflicts previously with codecs included in various DVD/video software. So, the argument that a codec mega pack insisting it has right of way regarding defaults can cause conflicts rings true to me.

I guess, in the end, the proof of the pudding is in the eating and the K-Lite Codec Pack is very popular and one of the most prolific downloads....it must be doing something right!!

Cheers Raven....Jim

#6 User is offline   TheRaven 

• Gold Poster!
            • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 September 2010 - 01:48 AM

K-Lite does leave the defaults alone and yes a mega anything messing with the system defaults is a bad thing.

First off, I would have to assume that if something is already a system default I have to regard it as the best choice for the user and leave it alone even if it is in the same domain as my product or service. The best way to mediate is to engage in the information exchange as does K-Lite. It will tell you the codec's system requirements and system performance ratings as they are made known. Some codecs conflict with other codecs and K-Lite will disable the conflicting codec prior to the current that you choose but, only after it tells you of the problem.

Secondly, I have used mega-codec packages that were poorly designed it cost me allot of time so, I cannot and will not justify the mega anything because K-Lite works as that's just insane. K-Lite works but, that doesn't mean that every mega codec package works and that's why I've used K-Lite when I've needed to ram my O.S. with some serious codec enhancements. Generally speaking, I dabble in drawing, painting, digital photography enhancement and editing, as well as video and audio tools & suites justifying codecs alternatives to a slight degree. The average user not engaged in these types of activities will need the convenience of a codec library even less as operating systems and digital media design and editing software provide the codecs that they rely on with the exception of freeware products in allot of cases. Freeware products might provide a front end to a codec and you as the user will have to get the codec yourself or the product was designed with a codec on Linux but, has been ported to Windows by two third party groups working separately on the codec and a front end where you would have to get both products. Mega packages could ease the time spent getting a slew of ported font ends and related codecs. Outside of this address it is extraneous and I will offer no argument to that degree.

Conclusion: It is with intelligence and logic we should follow -- don't install codecs just to have them and don't fix what has yet to be broken.

As far as installing a single codec when you need a single codec that speaks for itself. I've done this allot in the past with Windows Media Player regarding Mpeg playback.
              My take on the article regarding mega packs is that they are bashing them on the assumption that everyone needs but one codec which isn't always the case and that in some way the authors of these packages have questionable intentions by the way they word their arguments. You obviously want to stay with reputable authors without question.

As I stated -- codec packages are going to appeal to media designers, software developers & engineers and operating systems developers so they are not going away any time soon as they remotely appear to be almost like a media codec development package if you will. More appropriately the article should have been titled "Why You May Not Need a Mega Codec Package" instead of "Why Codec Packs Are Bad."

Nothing personal J.

I am kind of old school fanatic still lost in the days of BSD and AT&T UNIX living in the world of domains.

#7 User is offline   James (Jim) Hillier 

• Platinum Poster!

Posted 28 September 2010 - 12:33 PM

Hey Raven - An excellent explanation my friend!! Well put!!

I dabble a fair bit with video and can well appreciate the frustrations engendered by absent codecs.

It seems K-Lite may indeed provide a practicable solution for many users.

Thanks for your input here mate...much appreciated.
                Cheers....Jim

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

This post will need approval from a moderator before this post is shown.

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users