Posted 29 July 2009 - 09:37 PM

File Name: PrivateFirewall
    File Submitter: marko
    File Submitted: 29 Jul 2009
    File Updated: 19 Aug 2010
    File Category: Antivirus, Spyware, Firewalls & Security
    Version No: 7.0
    Will Run On: XP/Vista/7

PrivateFirewall is a proactive, multi-layered defense solution for Windows desktops and servers.
    PrivateFirewall detects, blocks and quarantines activity characteristic of known malware, hacking, phishing and other threat types so that personal computer users and IT managers within small, medium or large organizations can more effectively and proactively protect the environments and private data for which they are responsible.

An exceptionally simple user interface makes PrivateFirewall a breeze to manage. YouŽll realize expanded protection and become educated about the nature of activity - trusted and un-trusted - that occurs on your system.

Features
    • Windows 7, Vista 64 bit support
    • Windows 7, Vista 32 bit support
    • Zero-hour anti-virus protection
    • Zero-hour spyware protection
    • Zero-hour malware protection
    • Behavioral hacker protection
    • Personal Firewall
    • Website/IP filtering
    • Advanced Application Security
    • Basic Application Security
    • Process Security
    • Registry protection
    • System Anomaly Detection
    • Email Anomaly Detection

Click here to download this file

#2 User is offline   Information Overload 

• Advanced Member!
    • PipPipPip
      • Group: Advanced Member

Posted 29 August 2010 - 12:09 AM

I don't know the exact reasons why but I installed this program on my computer and it slowed down my netbook immensely. So much so that I had a hard time getting it uninstalled from my system. It took several reboots done the manual way (holding the powerbutton is not a good shutdown for computers I'm told), and all my attempts to end the processes that were slowing my computer down via the taskmanager failed. So I was forced to wait as my computer slowly loaded all my start up programs and ever so sluggishly loaded the Add/Remove feature. It was a painful process and if my computer were alive I'm sure it would have had a brain aneurysm because of all the stress.

Now I don't think this is how the program acts on its own. I believe this happened because I also had Avast! installed on my system. I think this program is not compatible with other antivirus programs and would not recommend installing it as a back up antivirus utility. Though all I know for sure is that this program was the CPU hog that was slowing my system down as I saw it in the processes menu of my taskmanager. As to why it is uncompatable is anyones guess but I believe this program may work on its own just not with another antivirus software.

#3 Guest_howie_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 29 August 2010 - 01:31 AM

View PostInformation Overload, on 29 August 2010 - 12:09 AM, said:

I don't know the exact reasons why but I installed this program on my computer and it slowed down my netbook immensely. So much so that I had a hard time getting it uninstalled from my system. It took several reboots done the manual way (holding the powerbutton is not a good shutdown for computers I'm told), and all my attempts to end the processes that were slowing my computer down via the taskmanager failed. So I was forced to wait as my computer slowly loaded all my start up programs and ever so sluggishly loaded the Add/Remove feature. It was a painful process and if my computer were alive I'm sure it would have had a brain aneurysm because of all the stress.

Now I don't think this is how the program acts on its own. I believe this happened because I also had Avast! installed on my system. I think this program is not compatible with other antivirus programs and would not recommend installing it as a back up antivirus utility. Though all I know for sure is that this program was the CPU hog that was slowing my system down as I saw it in the processes menu of my taskmanager. As to why it is uncompatable is anyones guess but I believe this program may work on its own just not with another antivirus software.

hi, just fyi, this program is a firewall/hips type application and not antivirus software as such. do you use another firewall such as comodo? if so, that could have been the reason for the intense slowdown rather than avast

cheers

#4 User is offline   James (Jim) Hillier 

• Platinum Poster!
      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
        • Group: Super Mod

Posted 29 August 2010 - 08:49 AM

View Posthowie, on 29 August 2010 - 01:31 AM, said:

hi, just fyi, this program is a firewall/hips type application and not antivirus software as such. do you use another firewall such as comodo? if so, that could have been the reason for the intense slowdown rather than avast

cheers

Agree 100% with Howie. Private Firewall (and the like) are specifically designed to work alongside and complement traditional AV software. However, this type of software will, more often than not, conflict with other similar applications, and especially anything which also includes a HIPS component. Such conflicts will often result in extreme slowdowns.

#5 User is offline   Information Overload 

• Advanced Member!
        • PipPipPip
          • Group: Advanced Member

Posted 29 August 2010 - 09:58 PM

I don't think I had anything but Avast! running on my computer but maybe I'm wrong or maybe I have windows firewall up? As for a HIPS program I don't think I had one at all. Do you think this program would be interfered by a router firewall? As I was using someone else's internet connection and didn't know the setup but it was my computer and I do know that I had no firewall running unless there is one built into Windows XP Home Edition? To bring you up to date I'm now running Online Free Armor as a secondary application and its working great. So as I said before I don't really understand the problem I had with this program I just know I had one.

#6 User is offline   James (Jim) Hillier 

• Platinum Poster!
          • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
            • Group: Super Mod

Posted 30 August 2010 - 02:24 AM

View PostInformation Overload, on 29 August 2010 - 09:58 PM, said:

I don't think I had anything but Avast! running on my computer but maybe I'm wrong or maybe I have windows firewall up? As for a HIPS program I don't think I had one at all. Do you think this program would be interfered by a router firewall? As I was using someone else's internet connection and didn't know the setup but it was my computer and I do know that I had no firewall running unless there is one built into Windows XP Home Edition? To bring you up to date I'm now running Online Free Armor as a secondary application and its working great. So as I said before I don't really understand the problem I had with this program I just know I had one.

No, a router firewall should not conflict in any way with installed software. Windows Firewall would also not be a problem.

Anyway, seems you have now solved the problem by replacing it with Online Armor.....which is the best anyway ( it's the one I use).

We'll just have to mark the other down as a complete mystery!!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
            • You cannot start a new topic
            • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
            0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users