Elegant IPB Skin By Skinbox

Reviews, Recommendations, How To's and much more in This Months Online Newsletter

FBB: Google Chrome - Test Your Website with Different Browser Sizes - FBB

Active Content Active Content   Latest Updates New Updates   Latest Downloads New Downloads   Top Downloads Top Downloads   RSS Feeds RSS   Link To Us Link To Us   Submit Freeware Submit

Page 1 of 1

Google Chrome - Test Your Website with Different Browser Sizes

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:04 PM (#1) User is offline   NewsBot 

• Platinum Poster!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members

Webmasters - see how sites will appear under various browsing scenarios with the "Resolution Test" plug-in.

When developing a website, it may prove useful to see how it appears with different browser sizes to help ensure it looks OK with users who have a variety of different monitor resolutions. While earlier web sites had to perform well in 640x480 and 800x600 resolutions, most people now have monitors supporting 1024x768 or greater, though they may not all have their browsers maximized.

To test for different scenarios inside Google Chrome you can install the "Resolution Test" extension. This lets you resize the browser window to one of several 'normal' resolutions such as 1024x768 or 1280x800, or you can resize to a custom resolution. Plus, if you need to test a website under a variety of resolutions it can open multiple Chrome windows....

Read more at MalekTips.

View the full article

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:23 PM (#2) User is offline   TheRaven 

• Advanced Member!
    • PipPipPip
      • Group: Advanced Member

Nice -- I was unaware of such an extension.

Learn something new everyday just isn't always a good thing.

Posted 27 August 2010 - 11:54 PM (#3) User is offline   Information Overload 

• Advanced Member!
      • PipPipPip

Hmm... I love Google Chrome but the one thing I didn't like was the lack of extensions. This however seems like a useful app for any web-designer. I use the free web hoster services so I shouldn't have to worry about being too flashy for anyone.

Posted 28 August 2010 - 11:39 AM (#4) User is offline   TheRaven 

• Advanced Member!
        • PipPipPip

View PostInformation Overload, on 27 August 2010 - 11:54 PM, said:

Hmm... I love Google Chrome but the one thing I didn't like was the lack of extensions. This however seems like a useful app for any web-designer. I use the free web hoster services so I shouldn't have to worry about being too flashy for anyone.

Google Chrome initially started out as a slim project and evolved addressing the common place issues at first, namely sand-boxing and virtualization, then started down the path of extensibility.

In the beginning many were skeptical of the browser due to a seeming lack of interest and intelligence when developing a product like a web-browser due to the fact that they are a web based corporation. One of the biggest gripes was about browser extensions and the comparison to FireFox mounted rather quickly; Google then included a rather static module in a later release of Chrome that provided the extensions framework as well as documentation of the framework APIs (application protocol/programming interfaces). Developers immediately immersed themselves in developing browser extensions for Chrome and community spawned overnight and kept growing. The extensions framework was a beta level module that was released to satisfy the community but, was indicated as being beta and would be broken with future releases of the browser until the software would become more stable and the extensions framework was more isolated and modularized.

With the newest Google Chrome v.5.x the framework for extensions has reached a level in its life cycle that it is extensible, upgradeable, and stable enough that it is managed as a separate unit within the browser and it can be modified without breaking the browser and isolates extensions from one another. The browser in turn has matured enough that its interface to the extensions framework is also just as independent and will not break extensions when it is upgraded.

Google is known primarily for web search but, make no mistake about it they are professional digital platform engineers ask all of their competitors. We have Chrome: the browser, an O.S., and Android for mobile smart devices and allot of personal media players are starting to sport Android and Chrome O.S. both. Google is definitely becoming serious business and they like open source and freeware too.

You should be quite pleased with Chrome now if you haven't been using it for some time.

I currently use 9 extensions with Chrome v.5.0.3 and really enjoy the browser. It has Incognito Mode where you ghost surf the web too -- awesome stuff.

Hope this helps you and enjoy!

Posted 28 August 2010 - 08:16 PM (#5) User is offline   Information Overload 

• Advanced Member!
          • PipPipPip

Yes it helps very much! I haven't been using Chrome all that long and didn't know too much about extensions for the program except for the few simple ones offered by the Google team themselves. I shall have to look into the betas some more and figure out how to customize my browser for better surfing. I like the simplicity of the browser in that is is fast and efficient, unlike my experience with Firefox where I get so overloaded with extensions that I have a slow time browsing the internet. Chrome allows me quick and easy browsing but I still have Firefox installed for safe and secure, but slow, browsing with the Tor network. If there was an extension, and I do believe they're working on one, to torrify Chrome that would be wonderful. Or if you know how to torrify Chrome manually I'd love to use Chrome as my one and only browser. But for now I have two internet browsers, the secure Firefox, and the sleek and fast Chrome. I will however go look into extensions more as I haven't truly had the chance to. But when I first looked into customization I saw little to be had. Is this because I don't have the right version of Chrome? Or am I just not looking in the right place?

Posted 29 August 2010 - 06:32 AM (#6) User is offline   TheRaven 

• Advanced Member!
            • PipPipPip

This should get you there:
              https://chrome.google.com/extensions/?hl=en

The landing page is pretty plain but, straight forward. Categories are listed to the upper left of the Chrome Extensions Home Page and are simply blue text without underlines but, they are active links. You'll find categories like sports, gaming, and all sorts of other interest specific extensions. You'll install the extensions from the web page they are on as there is nothing to be downloaded normally. The browser automagically downloads the extension package into its extension cache and initializes it for you on the spot.

I use:

1.) Web2PDFConverter - prints web pages into the .pdf format and it keeps all links on the page active in the .pdf document.
              2.) ChromePad - take notes, etc. from within Chrome and save them to notebooks.
              3.) Google Mail Checker Plus - Click the button to open a new tab for GMail anytime, anywhere, automagically and it also has a drop down preview with active links to individual messages.
              4.) Google Translate - translate any page anytime to whatever language you want with this one. Google Translate is awesome stuff -- lots of hidden power there.
              5.) Sexy Undo Close Tab - an undo for closed tabs but, lists all tabs independently as opposed to many other browsers; you don't have to open any tab but, the one you want.
              6.) IE Tab - opens the current page of Chrome in an IE Tab inside Chrome so, any IE specialty sites can still be accessible with Chrome.
              7.) ShowIP - web programmers/designers (I call them Web Heads like Spiderman) will like this one when they get into networking across the web.
              8.) Downloads - Opens your browser download page so that you can view current as well as review past downloads; etc.
              9.) Go Extensions - opens Chrome's extension manager dialogs; etc.

With the exception of extension entry number 7, the average to intermediate level Chrome Browser User will have access to some really important functionality and productivity tools that will definitely open the mind up to a whole new level of comfort and possibilities so, enjoy!https://freewarebb.com/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Posted 29 August 2010 - 09:51 PM (#7) User is offline   Information Overload 

• Advanced Member!
              • PipPipPip

I had to do a little searching but I found some Chrome extensions I liked. Most were security programs, but I wanted a fast browser as well so I whittled it down to three.

1.) Incognito Mode - a button that lets you go incognito with just one click
                2.) Click and Clean - a button that clears browser data with a click or when you close the chrome window
                3.) Ghostery - this is a nice little extension that lets you see whats tracking you an planting cookies from the sites you visit

I'm still looking for more and plan to keep my eye out for one that Torrifies Chrome that they say is coming soon.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

This post will need approval from a moderator before this post is shown.

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forums | Downloads | Active Content | New Updates | New Downloads | Top Downloads | RSS Feeds | Our Toolbar | Link To Us | How To Submit
                IPB Skins by Skinbox More Info

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options
                Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter   Or sign in with these services