Freeware Forums at FreewareBB: Upgraded FreewareBB - Freeware Forums at FreewareBB

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Upgraded FreewareBB

#21 Guest_smaragdus_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:44 PM

Marko,

I have just downloaded and installed RSS Xpress, but it too gave error message, I suppose that you are tired of my screenshots, so I will only apply here the text of the error message- Unable to access to the feed. Please check its url and verify it is a valid feed. I tried another random feed with RSS Xpress (http://www.snapfiles...s/snapfiles.xml), and it loaded instantaneously. I will try with another reader.

RSSOwl has a plug-in for validating feeds, so here I will quote what the validator said:

"Congratulations!
[Valid RSS] This is a valid RSS feed.
Recommendations
This feed is valid, but interoperability with the widest range of feed readers could be improved by implementing the following recommendations.
line 228, column 0: Missing atom:link with rel="self" [help]

I do not where is the problem but I suppose it is not in the feed readers, but I hope that eventually feeds will worl like a charm as before.

And a question concerning urls- is it possible that urls handled by external url shorteners to be used here?

Asen

#22 Guest_smaragdus_*

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:59 PM

Marko,

I did additional tests with other applications, the feeds are not working for me with RSSOwl, RSS Xpress, and SE-Rss Tools, and are working only with GreatNews. If needed, I can report this problem to the developers of RSSOwl.

#23 User is offline marko

• Platinum Poster!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Root Admin

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:03 PM

Asen, I can rule out URL issues because I've tried other sites that have upgraded along with us using the same software and they have similar URL's as us for the moment and even their feeds are not working in RSS Owl, but they do work in RSS Xpress so I'm at a loss as to why you still can't read the feeds using RSS Xpress???? I've contacted the people responsible for the development of the site in the hope they may be able to offer some explanation although I am guessing they are snowed under at the moment with all manner of support requests as others have upgraded too and run into other issues. Hopefully, we'll have a solution very shortly though.
    Cheers
    Marko

#24 User is offline marko

• Platinum Poster!

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:13 PM

Asen, I may actually have a solution to the problem, try any of these URLs for your feeds

http://feeds.feedburner.com/freewarebb/Xahs

http://feeds.feedburner.com/freewarebb/Xahs?format=xml

We used to publish feeds through feedburner previously but for some reason a while ago things started going a little wrong so we reverted them back to basic feeds from our site.

Let me know how you get on with those feeds
      Cheers
      Marko

#25 Guest_smaragdus_*

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:22 PM

Marko,

I am amazed! First I installed RSS Xpress and and there was error. (Now I am sorry I did not make a screenshot). After I read your latest message I run RSS Xpress portable and the feeds were working! Then I installed RSS Xpress and the feeds are there again. It seems that Jim was right and the problem (at least part of it) is in RSSOwl. Shall I contact the developers of RSSOwl reporting the error?

#26 User is offline marko

• Platinum Poster!

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:26 PM

Nah, I wouldn't bother to be honest, chances are they will only say it's something to do with the feed or it's an incompatibility somewhere. I'm going to convert all the feeds into feedburner feeds anyway, at least this way it gives us a standard on our feeds and 100% of the RSS Readers out there will be able to use it. I'll update the RSS Page with the feeds shortly but if you could confirm those URLs above work in RSS Owl then I'd say we've more or less cracked it :)
        Cheers
        Marko

#27 Guest_smaragdus_*

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:38 PM

SUCCESS!!!

I used the links you provided and Finally RSSOwl popped up the feeds! Both urls were accepted without a problem by RSSOwl!

Then I tried the other link you gave me today- http://www.freewareb...ware-rss-feeds/ , and all the forums' feeds are working! In fact the Owl flashed the feeds for less than a second!

Good work! So here I will use this occasion to apologize for my impolite words! Thank you for all your efforts and great work! I hope that I was just a bit useful for coping with the RSS problem. If I can be of any help, please don't hesitate to tell me!

Good luck!

Asen

#28 User is offline marko

• Platinum Poster!

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:41 PM

Great your up and running again Asen and no probs regarding our earlier conversation, it's all good :)
          Cheers
          Marko

#29 User is offline James (Jim) Hillier

• Platinum Poster!
            • Group: Super Mod

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:43 PM

View Postsmaragdus, on 03 June 2010 - 09:15 PM, said:

Jim,

Thank you for your kind and wise words, you are absolutely right. I did not intend to offend but it turned out that I did. I am sorry that I have been rude.

Up to now, RSSOwl has always behaved rather decently and has never caused any problems with any site (including FreewareBB). So I doubt the problem is within my reader (in fact this is one of the few applications written in Java that I like and use- clean interface, user-friendly, free, opens-source and multi-platform). Maybe the problem lies somewhere deep in the server that hosts this site, it returns HTTP Status 500- Internal Server Error (I am totally ignorant about networks and servers). I really hope that the problem with rss feeds will be mended.

All the best,

A.

Asen - Understand fully mate, let's now consider it water under the bridge....or as we say here in Oz, done and dusted! :)

It would appear, especially from what Marko has now said, that your feed reader is indeed not at fault. The fact that the RSS links are not displaying in Firefox's address bar for you plus the internal server error message is indicative of site issues. They all display fine in my FF address bar with Brief.

Anyway, I'm sure Marko will work hard to get the problem rectified as soon as possible and we can then get you back to normal!! :)

Cheers mate....Jim

#30 Guest_smaragdus_*

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:10 PM

Just a notification, this url- http://www.freewareb...bb/page__st__20 is not working with RSSOwl. But the FeedBurner links are ok, and all the other forums listed here- http://www.freewareb...ware-rss-feeds/, are ok as well, I tested them one by one. In fact the only one that is not working with RSSOwl is Latest Downloads, but everytjing else is fine.

It is pleasure talking with you!

By the way I came across a giweaway and I want to inform you. In fact this is a program that was shareware but became freeware (or more precisely- unsupported abandonware- X-Setup Pro, here is the link to Softpedia source- http://www.softpedia...Setup-Pro.shtml , in fact I haven't tested it yet, but from what I have read about it (and it has high user rating at Softpedia no matter that it was a paid product) I may conclude that this is a good application. The registration key is published at Softpedia, so, if you think this tweaker might be useful for the users here at FreewareBB, you might publish it somewhere in the forums...

Salud,

Asen

#31 User is offline James (Jim) Hillier

• Platinum Poster!
              • Group: Super Mod

Posted 04 June 2010 - 12:56 AM

View Postsmaragdus, on 03 June 2010 - 11:10 PM, said:

By the way I came across a giweaway and I want to inform you. In fact this is a program that was shareware but became freeware (or more precisely- unsupported abandonware- X-Setup Pro, here is the link to Softpedia source- http://www.softpedia...Setup-Pro.shtml , in fact I haven't tested it yet, but from what I have read about it (and it has high user rating at Softpedia no matter that it was a paid product) I may conclude that this is a good application. The registration key is published at Softpedia, so, if you think this tweaker might be useful for the users here at FreewareBB, you might publish it somewhere in the forums...

Salud,

Asen

Hey Asen - Yes I had read about this one. At the time I didn't really consider it worthy of mentioning, mainly because it is rather dated and things have moved on dramatically since it's origins.

But now you have mentioned it again, I realise my initial attitude may have been a tad selfish....well, maybe a lot selfish in fact!

I shouldn't really judge these things and should just put them out there for anyone who might be interested. So, I am now going to post about it in the Promotions and Free Offers section.

Thanks for the info...and the nudge. :)

Cheers...Jim

#32 User is offline marko

• Platinum Poster!

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:00 AM

Just a note to let everyone know we're creating a shortlist of issue's we've found so far with the upgrade and the status of those issue's HERE.
                Cheers
                Marko

#33 User is offline FrancisV

• New Poster!
                • Pip
                  • Group: Members

Posted 04 June 2010 - 05:24 PM

Well done Marko. Kudos and keep up the good work :)

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
                  • You cannot start a new topic
                  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                  0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users