Yay! Ubuntu's Working

8 replies to this topic

#1 Information Overload

Information Overload

Advanced Member!

• Advanced Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 03:16 AM

I got Ubuntu up and running as a dual boot system on my netbook! Now I just need... AN HOURS WORTH OF UPDATES!!! Posted Image Well I'll see you all in an hour I suppose. Then I can start customizing my system with freeware! :lol:

#2 marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
    • 26,079 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:41 AM

If it works out like the majority of cases, you'll use it on and off for a couple of weeks, get excited about finally using an open source platform, discover a couple of great little features then finally develop a sense of 'but it's not as familiar or compatible as Windows', you'll wonder what all the fuss was about and probably forget all about it whilst re-booting back into Windows!. I'm not knocking it, not by any means, but a lot of people like to give it a go and then find all those handy, familiar features that come with Windows can't be replaced and can't be lived without:lol:
      You could, of course, be the exception here:lol:
      Cheers
      Marko

Please remember that we have people from many different timezones on the site and if your post requires a reply it could take longer at some at some points because of this.

Forums
      New Freeware on the site
      Updated Freeware on the site
      RSS Subscribe
      Report bad freeware here

#3 Information Overload

Information Overload

Advanced Member!

• Advanced Member
      • 32 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:41 AM

I was thinking that too thats why I went dual boot, but I'm actually finding I like using the terminal (command line) and such its rather fun ifI do say so myself.

#4 Information Overload

Information Overload

Advanced Member!

• Advanced Member
        • 32 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 12:09 AM

Guess who just destroyed their first Linux system! Yeah I didn't know that holding down the power off switch would damage the system when shut down that way.

#5 michaelfarrimond

michaelfarrimond

New Poster!

• Members
          • 6 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 12:08 PM

View PostInformation Overload, on 31 August 2010 - 03:16 AM, said:

I got Ubuntu up and running as a dual boot system on my netbook! Now I just need... AN HOURS WORTH OF UPDATES!!! Posted Image Well I'll see you all in an hour I suppose. Then I can start customizing my system with freeware! :(

Hello, I did not go for the dual boot option. I just got shut of Windows completely. Wiped my hard drive as clean as clean can be and installed Ubuntu.

I think that this was the best PC decision that I have ever took.

Michael:rolleyes:

#6 James (Jim) Hillier

James (Jim) Hillier

Platinum Poster!

• Super Mod
            • 1,056 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 01:28 PM

Hey Michael - Glad it's working out for you mate!!

Personally, I believe once the decision to migrate over to Linux has been made, that is the only way to go.

The new user is always going to encounter frustrations with Linux and a dual boot system (with Windows) affords the luxury of just reverting to an old and familiar friend rather than persevering. It transforms the transitional period from 'I'll get round to it one day, when I have the time' to 'well I gotta stick with it now because I've got no choice'. :rolleyes:

Anyway, nice to hear from you Michael. I see you actually joined almost 2 years ago...that's a long time between drinks mate!!LOL

Cheers....Jim
              Jim Hillier - Managing editor Daves Computer Tips.com

#7 jjj

jjj

Gold Poster!

• Advanced Member
              • 84 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:34 PM

Linux Revisited-
                Last week I was half way through installing XP on ten older computers ( P3 1000mhz 500mb ) which all had a Xbuntu 10 os on them, when my xp installation disk failed. The computers were for preschoolers and are ideal for this age group 3 to 5 yrs.
                Having tried linux (Mint) before and reaching the same conclusion as most - why bother like Marco said above - when xp does everything anyway.
                Realizing that one of the programs we install - G Compris - was developed originally for linux and comes with more available programs in the linux version over windows I thought why not give it another try and with the os already installed nothing to loose.
                Connected to the net and installed the program with no problems ( I remember it took 3 days just to get the modem to work last time - 5 yrs ago)
                Then a notification came up to upgrade to the latest version (xbuntu 11.4) online , which I did without any hassles and installed the chrome browser just to compare it with our main computer and have access to google docs and talk..
                From what I have seen over the last couple of days, linux is again worth another try , specially to those considering the Chrome OS or not needing the latest video cards.

#8 marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
                • 26,079 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:40 PM

Nice one jjj, hopefully I'll have a lot more spare time shortly and I can pull out an old unused machine of my own and give linux another whirl :mocking:

Please remember that we have people from many different timezones on the site and if your post requires a reply it could take longer at some at some points because of this.

Forums
                  New Freeware on the site
                  Updated Freeware on the site
                  RSS Subscribe
                  Report bad freeware here

#9 4ensicPenguin2

4ensicPenguin2

New Poster!

• Members
                  • 4 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:26 PM

I removed Win7 Starter from my Mini 110, and installed Ubuntu, when I got it.It runs really smooth with 2 GB of memory, whereas Windows just couldn't satisfy me.I even erased the recovery partition on the disk.I've been very happy with Linux since Ubuntu 5.04