The Safe Free Download Site

Why not become a full member?, it's fast, free and allows you to participate in our forums and add or comment on our free software, leave reviews, access unlimited free downloads and more! - we NEVER share your details with anyone else, that's a promise! ... REGISTER FREE TODAY

");

Closure Of FreewareBB

28 replies to this topic

#1 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
  • 18,234 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:52 PM

Despite the best efforts of all concerned, it is with regret and frustration that I have to announce we will be closing down FreewareBB at the end of this month. The decision has not been an easy one for me to make, but it's the only one available to me.

Lack of funds, despite recent appeals, a recent upgrade to the site which I believe to have caused us some issues with the search engines and the loss of an extremely important modification (CSEO) as a result of the upgrade have all contributed to the demise of FreewareBB.

Advertising revenue for the site has plummeted as a result of loosing much of our search engine traffic, yet sites rated negatively by WOT and SiteAdvisor and who are known for the distribution of spyware and viruses rank high by Google and other search engines - despite our efforts to provide a safe, secure and family friendly environment it is clear we are not winning the battle and so will bow out gracefully and allow these sites to continue on with their agenda of misleading "free" downloads and infesting the web and people's computers with all manner of bugs and viruses.

To those who have supported FreewareBB in some way throughout it's short existance, I thank you sincerely and in particular I thank Jim Hillier for all his hard work and efforts in bringing you some of the best in promotions and becoming a good friend of the site and me personally - it was certainly fun while it lasted :)

Kind Regards
    Marko

#2 Conn10

New Poster!

• Members
    • 2 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:51 PM

View Postmarko, on 12 October 2010 - 08:52 PM, said:

Despite the best efforts of all concerned, it is with regret and frustration that I have to announce we will be closing down FreewareBB at the end of this month. The decision has not been an easy one for me to make, but it's the only one available to me.

I may not sign in with my account often but i do visit :good:

I feel sorry for you, it's a shame top see a good site go down like this, especially when , as you say, many malicious sites live on. I hope you can rebuild the site again, maybe in a few years :'( it's sad to see it go.

Thankyou for all the great content and giveaways,

and it is with true sincerity that i say goodbye and good luck in whatever else you do :),

Conn

#3 gregorycartoon

New Poster!

• Members
      • 5 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:13 PM

I've only recently discovered ypour site and thought it to be excellent. I wish you all the best for your future and thanks for providing this service whilst you could.

Regards

gregorycartoon :)

#4 DaComboMan

Advanced Member!

• Advanced Member
        • 37 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:13 PM

All the best to Marko!

So much time and effort to make things work on the web...
          Hopefully it will have been a good experience for you as you continue your journey through life.

Many thanks for the giveaways and occasions to exhange a few thoughts and needs!

#5 John T

Advanced Poster!

• Developer
          • 28 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:21 PM

Really sad to hear this news. Is it purely a financial problem or are there any other underlying issues?

John

#6 EjGippy

New Poster!

• Members
            • 1 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:37 PM

I would like to thank all the people involved with FreewareBB for their past work and continual attempts to keep this great site up and running , it must be frustrating to put in so much effort only to have the impossible task of keeping the site clean from parasites ! I would like to thank Jim Hillier for his untiring input so as to bring us previously unknown Software !
              May the best be with all of the FreewareBB staff and Contributors . E.j.Gippy. Gippsland .Victoria. Australia.

#7 Guest_Juancho_*

• Guests

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:45 PM

A really bad news... :) Thanks so much for your great effort and good luck for you allways!

#8 grr

Advanced Member!

• Advanced Member
              • 34 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:04 PM

It is a sad news, but I support you in your decision, Marko.

Unfortunately too many bad things happened..

It was a nice opportunity to meet you and Jim. I'll always remember you guys.

Thanks,
                Grr

#9 Guest_deaman49_*

• Guests

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:57 PM

This is a terrible loss to us. I am very sorry Marko. To you and all the others who made this site possible, I Thank You. This site will be greatly missed by many.

Lee

#10 Power Bank

Advanced Poster!

• Advanced Member
                • 12 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 12:39 AM

It is really sad news to hear of closure of this site. FreewareBB has offered me legendary wealth of fun, knowledge and information. Thank you Marko and all the people behind the scenes for your hard work to make it happen.

My regards,
                  Power Bank

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users