• You cannot reply to this topic

SourceForge SF is down

#1 User is offline marko

• Platinum Poster!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Root Admin

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:24 AM

(Thanks to Bala7 for this info)

Please note that SourceForge, one of the largest host's of Open Source software, was compromised last week through an attack. This resulted in SourceForge shutting down a lot of their usual services temporarily, although most downloads were unaffected.

As we, at FreewareBB, use SourceForge in a lot of our listings you may notice some downloads not working correctly in which case we would like to redirect you to the SourceForge blog detailing the issues and where we will all find more details on the problem and hopefully normal, complete service will be resumed very soon.

Until then, any download from FreewareBB which redirects you to a SourceForge page should be treated with caution and should be scanned thoroughly before use. There is no evidence to suggest any of SourceForge's downloads were affected, but it's prudent to scan any download thoroughly before use irrespective of where it came from.

It's a great shame that someone, or a group of people, have targetted such a worthwhile cause such as SourceForge but hopefully they'll have things sorted very shortly :)

Cheers
    Marko

#2 User is offline Bala7

• New Poster!
    • Pip
      • Group: Advanced Member

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:34 PM

Marko, some of your open-source files originate from sourceforge.net
      SF has been hacked and I posted a link directly to SF chief blog explaining the issue.

Why have you censored my warnings? If I violated your TOS I need to know so that I avoid such commentary in the future.
      As of this post, sorceforge continues to clearly state their database is corrupt and many files are corrupt.

the effected files are:
      TCExam 11.1.016
      AVStoDVD Portable 2.3.4
      AVStoDVD 2.3.4
      DriverBackup 2.1.0 Rev 5

The aforementioned file are corrupt as explained by SF in the link I provided.

#3 User is offline marko

• Platinum Poster!

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:10 AM

Hi Bala7, based on the info you provided in the comments for the above downloads, we read through the details on the SourceForge blog and it was apparent that the issue was a site-wide one, that is, it didn't just affect a few downloads although (as always) we really do appreciate you bringing those to our attention but as we are sure SourceForge will be triple checking their data they will most likely remove and restore anything found to be suspicious on their servers. I do realise that we asked for members to let us know of any problems they find, but on reflection this would most probably just lead to a mass of download comments relating to SourceForge, the issue of which we felt would be better placed globally on the site rather than within individual downloads.

Until such time as we can be sure there are no further issues with SourceForge, we'll keep the warning on the site but rest assured I personally can't thank you enough for bringing the matter to our attention, I usually keep up to speed on these things myself but I've been sidetracked for the past week with other things and haven't kept my eye on the latest happenings in the tech world - hope that explains :)

Cheers
        Marko

#4 User is offline Bala7

• New Poster!
        • Pip

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:44 AM

"...sidetracked for the past week with other things..."
          You have found a way to break free of the Matrix? I must know your secret.

#5 User is offline marko

• Platinum Poster!

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:12 AM

:lol:

#6 User is offline Bala7

• New Poster!
            • Pip

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:42 AM

"...sidetracked for the past week with other things..."

O'boy --> 77 (seventy seven) updates the past 24 hours. I for one am glad you've got other things to do.

Seriously, many thanks for all your hard work!

#7 User is offline marko

• Platinum Poster!

Posted 02 February 2011 - 07:31 AM

Was it really 77? My word, I have been busy :lol:

#8 User is offline marko

• Platinum Poster!

Posted 02 February 2011 - 06:13 PM

SourceForge's latest blog explains they have no reason now to believe downloads were changed, they are validating this data but are confident no changes were made to downloads which would cause them concern :)

As a result, we have now removed the global warning from our site and anticipate service as usual from SourceForge.

http://sourceforge.net/blog/update-on-the-sourceforgenet-attack/

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
                  • You cannot start a new topic
                  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                  0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users