The Safe Free Download Site

Why not become a full member?, it's fast, free and allows you to participate in our forums and add or comment on our free software, leave reviews, access unlimited free downloads and more! - we NEVER share your details with anyone else, that's a promise! ... REGISTER FREE TODAY

");

Avast 6 flagging many safe sites as malware!!

2 replies to this topic

#1 James (Jim) Hillier

Platinum Poster!

• Super Mod
  • 855 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:22 PM

If you are running Avast 6 and are currently finding your favourite/usual sites are being flagged as malware do not worry. This has been caused by a severe fault with the latest definitions update from Avast, which is obviously creating a heap of false positives.

When I got on the computer this morning and started going through my usual procedures I couldn't connect to many sites and it seemed Avast was flagging every site I visited as malware. It even flagged several of the site advisory services included in the Firefox extension LinkExtend as malware.

So I disabled Avast's Web Shield component and then Googled this issue; it seems there are thousands affected.

Here is a temporary workaround until Avast fix the problem permanently:

Right click on the Avast icon in the notification area of the taskbar and select Open avast! user interface.
    Click on Real Time Shields [in the left hand navigation panel].
    Click on Web Shield and disable the option to Scan web (HTTP) Traffic:
    Attached Image: Avast.png

Jim Hillier - Managing editor Daves Computer Tips.com

#2 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
    • 25,415 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:00 PM

WOW, that's not good Jimbo, just shows even the big guys can hit problems from time to time :rolleyes:

#3 James (Jim) Hillier

Platinum Poster!

• Super Mod
      • 855 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 11:58 PM

Yep, must be something pretty generic [common to most web sites] to throw up so many false positives Marko.

As you can imagine, it has caused plenty of panic. :rolleyes:
        Jim Hillier - Managing editor Daves Computer Tips.com