• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Your say on FreewareBB in 2011

#1 User is offline marko

• Platinum Poster!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Root Admin

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:50 AM

This year FreewareBB will be evolving in many ways. Last year was a bit of a nightmare for us with some major changes from the major upgrade from Invision which almost took us offline, thankfully we managed to ride the storm and we're becoming stronger each day although we still need your support and contributions on the forum to keep going, read how to participate HERE.

In the next few months Invision will be releasing another upgrade which won't be as drastic as the last one (thankfully!) but will see a lot of improvements on the features they added and the key to this next upgrade will be simplicity. Although the new features in the last upgrade were very worthwhile, they were often confusing and somewhat misleading, though we are assured that the next upgrade will totally simplify and streamline many features which will give you total control over the site and place most features at your fingertips!. As part of the next upgrade, the look of the site will change slightly again but this should be a subtle change and one which comes as part of the upgrade so is outwith our control - we still have few details on that change, but will consider having our own custom skin designed nearer the time.

We have a few modifications of our own planned which we'll be talking about in the coming weeks but for now we want to hear your own suggestions on what could benefit you as a member, features you would like to see, design idea's and anything else you can think of. I personally will be assigning a limited amount of personal funds aside for this work so it may not be possible to include every suggestion, but rest assured every suggestion will be given serious consideration.

So, help us make 2011 a very memorable year for FreewareBB and have your say ;)

Look forward to hearing your suggestions :)
    Marko

Here's some of the suggestions so far that we'll be looking to work on after the update in a few months:
    • Make key links more obvious (such as reporting a problem on a download, etc)

#2 User is offline John T

• Advanced Poster!
    • PipPip
      • Group: Advanced Member

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:06 AM

Hi Marko,

Glad to hear you are back safe & well from your epic voyage of discovery.
      My suggestion is to make the uploading of new files a little easier. I don't know if it is just me, but I can't seem to find any instructions on uploading files despite numerous attempts.

Keep up the good work,

John

#3 User is offline marko

• Platinum Poster!

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:34 AM

Hi John, are you talking about uploading files within post's/topic's (i.e. in the forum area) or uploading within the download section (or both?) :)
        Marko

#4 User is offline marko

• Platinum Poster!

Posted 03 May 2011 - 12:07 PM

You've just spurred me into setting up a "How To" forum John, nothing in it at the moment but I'll start popping guide's in there shortly - https://freewarebb.com/forum/280-how-to/

#5 User is offline John T

• Advanced Poster!
          • PipPip

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:58 PM

Hi Marko,

I was referring to uploading in the download section as I seem to get stuck when attempting this task.

Thanks,

John

#6 User is offline ablaze

• Advanced Member!
            • PipPipPip

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:17 PM

Maybe this will help: https://freewarebb.com/topic/4348-how-to-add-a-download/

#7 User is offline quiet

• New Poster!
              • Pip
                • Group: Members

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:10 AM

While I don't visit your site often, I still keep it bookmarked and of course receive your newsletter, so thought I'd take a quick look to see if I can find anything to help with suggestions. I did notice that there does not seem to be a quick/convenient link to report bad file download links. I tried to download " Mp3 Tag Cool 1.2.5 Beta " but just got a 'domain may be for sale' page (The domain zijinshi.net may be for sale.) I did find and download the file over at Softpedia.

So my suggestion is that you have a link on each files 'Download File' page that permits users to easily report bad download links. Perhaps also have another link to report suspected Malware.

Thanks for allowing users to make suggestions. :)

#8 User is offline marko

• Platinum Poster!

Posted 04 May 2011 - 12:32 PM

Good point quiet, and although there is in fact such a facility it's not the easiest to spot. I've included a screenshot showing you where to find the link on each download but I'm beginning to make a note of all suggestions within the first thread which I'll work through once we have the upgrade complete (hopefully in a few months time). In this case, I'll make those links more obvious :)

Do note however, that these links are only visible to members who sign in to the site, when they appear for guest's we just end up with a whole load of spam reports ;)
                  Cheers
                  Marko

Attached File 04-05-2011 13-30-03.png (39.36K)
                  Number of downloads: 0

#9 User is offline marko

• Platinum Poster!

Posted 04 May 2011 - 12:46 PM

View PostJohn T, on 03 May 2011 - 08:58 PM, said:

I was referring to uploading in the download section as I seem to get stuck when attempting this task.

John, I'm still not sure which exact part you're having trouble with but let me take you through the steps quickly :) ...

• Once logged in to the site, you should see an "Upload File" button on the front page,
                      Attached File ssss.png (7.97K)
                      Number of downloads: 0

• Clicking that will take you to a drop-down, select the proper category the download would fit in then hit "Continue", then on the next page you will see various 'steps',
                    • In "Step 1: Select your file(s)" you can "Browse" to a file located on your computer and upload it to our server if it is 5Mb or less. If, instead, you want to link to it (i.e. it's located on someone else's website) you can hit "Link to a file" and another box appears where you would enter the URL to the file,
                    • In "Step 2: Add screenshots" you can do exactly the same for any screenshots you may have, or link to them,
                    • In "Step 3: Provide file information" you enter the information required such as the file name, version number, any recent changes, description, which operating systems the download will run on and finally the developers website address.

Once you've completed all those fields, just hit "Add Submission" and the download enters the moderation queue for us to review and approve. Hope that explains a little better :)
                    Cheers
                    Marko

#10 User is offline John T

• Advanced Poster!
                    • PipPip

Posted 05 May 2011 - 06:47 PM

Thanks Marko & Ablaze.

I wasn't previously getting a dropdown box to link to a URL. Now I am.

Thanks again,

John

#11 User is offline marko

• Platinum Poster!

Posted Yesterday

No probs John ;)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
                        • You cannot start a new topic
                        • You cannot reply to this topic