Your say on FreewareBB in 2011

25 replies to this topic

#1 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,206 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:50 AM

Here's some of the suggestions so far that we'll be looking to work on after the update in a few months:
    • Make key links more obvious (such as reporting a problem on a download, etc)
    • Make bookmark icon more relevant to FBB - DONE
    • Prominent note will be displayed when a download contains an add-on
    • Show whether a download is for private/commercial use or both and option to display a list of both
    • Re-apply the "description" field in topics, was removed on the last upgrade

This year FreewareBB will be evolving in many ways. Last year was a bit of a nightmare for us with some major changes from the major upgrade from Invision which almost took us offline, thankfully we managed to ride the storm and we're becoming stronger each day although we still need your support and contributions on the forum to keep going, read how to participate HERE.

We have a few modifications of our own planned, but for now we want to hear your own suggestions on what could benefit you as a member, features you would like to see, design idea's and anything else you can think of. I personally will be assigning a limited amount of personal funds aside for this work so it may not be possible to include every suggestion, but rest assured every suggestion will be given serious consideration.

So, help us make 2011 a very memorable year for FreewareBB and have your say Posted Image

Look forward to hearing your suggestions Posted Image
    Marko
    FreewareBB isn't about just providing free downloads, we're a transparent community of responsible individuals helping others download safe free software without fear of contracting viruses, spyware or any other nasty surprises - visit our forums and see just how frank and open we all are and help us lead the way for the future of free, genuine and safe downloading!. Everyone has an opinion, and we love to hear them.

New Freeware on the site
    Updated Freeware on the site
    RSS Subscribe
    Report bad freeware here

#2 John T

Advanced Poster!

• Advanced Member
    • PipPip
    • 20 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:06 AM

Hi Marko,

Glad to hear you are back safe & well from your epic voyage of discovery.
      My suggestion is to make the uploading of new files a little easier. I don't know if it is just me, but I can't seem to find any instructions on uploading files despite numerous attempts.

Keep up the good work,

John

#3 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
      • 9,206 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:34 AM

Hi John, are you talking about uploading files within post's/topic's (i.e. in the forum area) or uploading within the download section (or both?) :)
        Marko
        FreewareBB isn't about just providing free downloads, we're a transparent community of responsible individuals helping others download safe free software without fear of contracting viruses, spyware or any other nasty surprises - visit our forums and see just how frank and open we all are and help us lead the way for the future of free, genuine and safe downloading!. Everyone has an opinion, and we love to hear them.

New Freeware on the site
        RSS Subscribe
        Report bad freeware here

#4 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
        • 9,206 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 12:07 PM

You've just spurred me into setting up a "How To" forum John, nothing in it at the moment but I'll start popping guide's in there shortly - https://freewarebb.com/forum/280-how-to/

New Freeware on the site
          RSS Subscribe
          Report bad freeware here

#5 John T

Advanced Poster!

• Advanced Member
          • PipPip
          • 20 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:58 PM

Hi Marko,

I was referring to uploading in the download section as I seem to get stuck when attempting this task.

Thanks,

John

#6 ablaze

Advanced Member!

• Advanced Member
            • PipPipPip
            • 36 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:17 PM

Maybe this will help: https://freewarebb.com/topic/4348-how-to-add-a-download/

#7 quiet

New Poster!

• Members
              • Pip
              • 3 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:10 AM

While I don't visit your site often, I still keep it bookmarked and of course receive your newsletter, so thought I'd take a quick look to see if I can find anything to help with suggestions. I did notice that there does not seem to be a quick/convenient link to report bad file download links. I tried to download " Mp3 Tag Cool 1.2.5 Beta " but just got a 'domain may be for sale' page (The domain zijinshi.net may be for sale.) I did find and download the file over at Softpedia.

So my suggestion is that you have a link on each files 'Download File' page that permits users to easily report bad download links. Perhaps also have another link to report suspected Malware.

Thanks for allowing users to make suggestions. :)

#8 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
                • 9,206 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 12:32 PM

Good point quiet, and although there is in fact such a facility it's not the easiest to spot. I've included a screenshot showing you where to find the link on each download but I'm beginning to make a note of all suggestions within the first thread which I'll work through once we have the upgrade complete (hopefully in a few months time). In this case, I'll make those links more obvious :)

Do note however, that these links are only visible to members who sign in to the site, when they appear for guest's we just end up with a whole load of spam reports ;)
                  Cheers
                  Marko

Attached File 23-05-2011 19-21-03.png (43.71K)
                  Number of downloads: 0

New Freeware on the site
                  RSS Subscribe
                  Report bad freeware here

#9 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
                  • 9,206 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 12:46 PM

View PostJohn T, on 03 May 2011 - 08:58 PM, said:

I was referring to uploading in the download section as I seem to get stuck when attempting this task.

John, I'm still not sure which exact part you're having trouble with but let me take you through the steps quickly :) ...

• Once logged in to the site, you should see an "Upload File" button on the front page,
                      Attached File ssss.png (7.97K)
                      Number of downloads: 0

• Clicking that will take you to a drop-down, select the proper category the download would fit in then hit "Continue", then on the next page you will see various 'steps',
                    • In "Step 1: Select your file(s)" you can "Browse" to a file located on your computer and upload it to our server if it is 5Mb or less. If, instead, you want to link to it (i.e. it's located on someone else's website) you can hit "Link to a file" and another box appears where you would enter the URL to the file,
                    • In "Step 2: Add screenshots" you can do exactly the same for any screenshots you may have, or link to them,
                    • In "Step 3: Provide file information" you enter the information required such as the file name, version number, any recent changes, description, which operating systems the download will run on and finally the developers website address.

Once you've completed all those fields, just hit "Add Submission" and the download enters the moderation queue for us to review and approve. Hope that explains a little better :)
                    Cheers
                    Marko

New Freeware on the site
                    RSS Subscribe
                    Report bad freeware here

#10 John T

Advanced Poster!

• Advanced Member
                    • PipPip
                    • 20 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 06:47 PM

Thanks Marko & Ablaze.

I wasn't previously getting a dropdown box to link to a URL. Now I am.

Thanks again,

John

#11 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
                      • 9,206 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 09:27 PM

No probs John ;)

New Freeware on the site
                        RSS Subscribe
                        Report bad freeware here

#12 michaelfarrimond

New Poster!

• Members
                        • Pip
                        • 3 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 12:01 PM

Hello Marko and Co;
                          I think that the site has undergone vast improvements in recent times and it has been an absolute pleasure to use, instead of being just a pleasure before the changes took effect.

When I used to run Windows as my OS I was forever bringing down new programmes to try and inevitably I caught my fair share of viruses and other assorted nasties. I took the plunge and I installed Ubuntu Linux. I have not looked back since and my PC has remained clean. I know that Linux is not every ones cup of tea and that is where sites such as yours come into their own. My very best wishes to you and your other users and may you go from strength to strength.

I just called in to grade Firefox 4 - Yes it is available on Ubuntu Linux and it works like a dream!- but I could not resist saying hello and passing on my heartfelt thanks.

Michael :)

marko, on 03 May 2011 - 09:50 AM, said:

This year FreewareBB will be evolving in many ways. Last year was a bit of a nightmare for us with some major changes from the major upgrade from Invision which almost took us offline, thankfully we managed to ride the storm and we're becoming stronger each day although we still need your support and contributions on the forum to keep going, read how to participate HERE.

In the next few months Invision will be releasing another upgrade which won't be as drastic as the last one (thankfully!) but will see a lot of improvements on the features they added and the key to this next upgrade will be simplicity. Although the new features in the last upgrade were very worthwhile, they were often confusing and somewhat misleading, though we are assured that the next upgrade will totally simplify and streamline many features which will give you total control over the site and place most features at your fingertips!. As part of the next upgrade, the look of the site will change slightly again but this should be a subtle change and one which comes as part of the upgrade so is outwith our control - we still have few details on that change, but will consider having our own custom skin designed nearer the time.

We have a few modifications of our own planned which we'll be talking about in the coming weeks but for now we want to hear your own suggestions on what could benefit you as a member, features you would like to see, design idea's and anything else you can think of. I personally will be assigning a limited amount of personal funds aside for this work so it may not be possible to include every suggestion, but rest assured every suggestion will be given serious consideration.

So, help us make 2011 a very memorable year for FreewareBB and have your say ;)

Look forward to hearing your suggestions :)
                          Marko

Here's some of the suggestions so far that we'll be looking to work on after the update in a few months:
                          • Make key links more obvious (such as reporting a problem on a download, etc)

#13 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
                          • 9,206 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 05:04 PM

Hi Michael, and thanks for the support, great to hear you took the plunge to Ubuntu and I hope you stick with it, Linux really is a great OS once you get the hang of it, although I never really did, I've had my moments at both work and home, but it's never captured me enough to want to remain with it - more's the pity I say ;)
                            Cheers
                            Marko

New Freeware on the site
                            RSS Subscribe
                            Report bad freeware here

#14 jjj

Advanced Poster!

• Advanced Member
                            • PipPip
                            • 24 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 04:11 AM

Just a simple point-
                              The bookmark icon for FBB is not readily recognised as leading to your site.
                              In the Chrome bookmarks bar i've edited the bookmarks to show just the icons ( to display more )
                              unless they still need a brief description like yours for recognition.
                              Just a suggestion since your poll on FF4 leads me to think there will be even more users using chrome.

#15 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
                              • 9,206 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 06:19 AM

Good point jjj, that's one of those things I always meant to get back round to, so it's in the list of todo's :)

New Freeware on the site
                                RSS Subscribe
                                Report bad freeware here

#16 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
                                • 9,206 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 04:25 PM

View Postjjj, on 09 May 2011 - 04:11 AM, said:

Just a simple point-The bookmark icon for FBB is not readily recognised as leading to your site. In the Chrome bookmarks bar i've edited the bookmarks to show just the icons ( to display more ) unless they still need a brief description like yours for recognition. Just a suggestion since your poll on FF4 leads me to think there will be even more users using chrome.

Updated this jjj, if anyone wants the new favicon to appear in their browser you'll have to clear your history and close the browser - if that doesn't work give it a few hours and it should hopefully update for you

New Freeware on the site
                                  RSS Subscribe
                                  Report bad freeware here

#17 michaelfarrimond

New Poster!

• Members
                                  • Pip
                                  • 3 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 03:52 AM

I am sufficiently impressed with the quality of FreewareBB to include a link on my website. I hope that this will attract some more members for you and that you go from strength to strength. :blink:

#18 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
                                    • 9,206 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:11 AM

That's very kind of you Michael, thank you ;)

New Freeware on the site
                                      RSS Subscribe
                                      Report bad freeware here

#19 jjj

Advanced Poster!

• Advanced Member
                                      • PipPip
                                      • 24 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 02:47 AM

Yes - there it is!
                                        A quick hint for chrome users - save your favorite bookmarks to your bookmark bar and edit them down to just the icon
                                        makes for a real neat appearance.

#20 Bala7

Advanced Poster!

• Advanced Member
                                        • PipPip
                                        • 13 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 12:09 AM

What has happened in the past 48 hours? I'm all for people making a living but...
                                          heavy doses of JavaScript, Google Analytics, DoubleClick ...
                                          now I need a proxy-server to simply visit FreewareBB.

And you may have thought only your iPhone was spying on you :angry: