Welcome to FreewareBB

Why not become a full member?, it's fast, free and allows you to participate in our forums and add or comment on our free software, leave reviews and comments and much much more! - we NEVER share your details with anyone else, that's a promise! ... REGISTER FREE TODAY

");

Your say on FreewareBB in 2011

36 replies to this topic

#21 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 01:29 AM

Bala, not sure what you're seeing at your end, but we have had some skin issues in the past few hours - unfortunately it's something that we need Invision to address and are at the mercy of their support system which may be slow due to the holiday weekend. As for JavaScript, Google Analytics & DoubleClick, the first is a given on nearly all websites, Google Analytics is purely for our own statistical purposes and Doubleclick is from Google Adsense (our ads) - all three have been on FreewareBB for nearly 3 years now and our privacy policy explains we collect statistical information.

Everyone with a post count of less than 10 will see ads, over that amount of post's the ads are automatically removed as a kind of 'thank you' for posting, guest's will always see ads.

To be honest, we rarely use Google Analytics other than to monitor the search engine traffic and website referrals to FreewareBB, we can't collect person information other than what we collect at registration and even if we could, we wouldn't.

We've always been open about what we do here on the site and I welcome any question on any subject, just ask and you shall receive ;)
    Marko

#22 Bala7

Advanced Poster!

• Advanced Member
    • 13 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:14 PM

"...not sure what you're seeing at your end ... Invision..."
      Things appears to be back to normal. I guess I can chalk the past 48 hours to Gremlins in the Machine.

"...JavaScript...nearly all websites..."
      JS; the bane of our existence using 15-year-old buggy technology impossible to secure.
      Without JS and ActiveX its highly unlikely there would be the proliferation of malware we have today on Win machines.
      Both software technologies should be labeled a virus and banned!

#23 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
      • 1,520 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:32 PM

I'll def agree with you on the Javascript Bala, fortunately with a massive user base over at Invision and a great team of experienced developers we usually have a fix available for any vulnerability found in jig time! ;)

#24 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
        • 1,520 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 12:26 PM

Just a quick update to let everyone know that Invision are now testing Beta2 of their upgraded software and we hope the release candidate will be out very shortly. It's always difficult to give estimates as to when we can expect the site to be upgraded to the latest version but I hope Invision will be ready to release the update within the next month or so :)
          Marko

#25 John T

Advanced Poster!

• Developer
          • 21 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 06:11 PM

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
            And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep.
            And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
            And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.
            And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.
            And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.
            And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.
            And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day.
            And God said, Let the waters under the heavens be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.
            And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas: and God saw that it was good.

Lets hope this is good also.

John

#26 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
            • 1,520 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 10:45 PM

I really can't see it being as good as the creation of Earth John, but it will be something at least :)
              Marko

#27 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
              • 1,520 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:25 AM

Just a quick update on the outstanding work still to be done ... we have a developer currently working on a note system which will be applied to all those downloads which contain additional software (i.e. toolbars, 3rd party addons, etc). These notes can be placed in a prominant position on the download page which means no-one should miss another warning we issue for a particular download.

As for the topic descriptions which were removed by Invision on the last upgrade, unfortunately the work involved in getting this back is going to be somewhat excessive and therefore not feasible, it's unfortunate but sometimes these things happen and as annoying as it is even for us when they decide to remove certain features, it would appear that most other site administrators didn't really use this feature therefore there is little pressure on Invision to bring them back!.
                Cheers
                Marko

#28 James (Jim) Hillier

Platinum Poster!

• Super Mod
                • 641 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:58 PM

It's understandable Marko. The topic descriptions were certainly not essential....they were handy though! :)
                  Jim Hillier - Freeware editor Daves Computer Tips.com

#29 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
                  • 1,520 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 01:45 PM

OK, we've basically completed all of the work we had outstanding in the list on the first page, today we completed the 'prominent note' which will now begin to appear at the top of any download which we feel we have to draw your attention to. We will add the notes as and when we come across the issue in question, for example, the next time we update a download which we know offers the install of a toolbar, a prominent message will appear on the download - check the first note here: https://freewarebb.com/files/file/10725-copper-point-of-sale-software/

If you feel we've overlooked anything, please do let us know - similarly, if you still haven't suggested something for inclusion to the site that you would like to see, now's your chance before we tie up what money we have left for other developments on the site :)
                    Cheers
                    Marko

#30 tada

New Poster!

• Members
                    • 4 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:59 PM

marko, the navigation could be better
                      it can be quite difficult to navigate back to the downloads depending where on the site we are

#31 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
                      • 1,520 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:50 PM

Navigation has always been the bane of our site tada, we've looked at a number of different navigation systems but they don't do everything we want them to do and trying to replace the menu entirely with an external one can cause resource issues with the site - unfortunately, we're stuck with what we have for the moment until we can figure an alternative :)

#32 FreeWareFan

Advanced Member!

• Advanced Member
                        • 38 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 08:11 PM

I've a question - why "Follow this topic" button is on all posts? :)

#33 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
                          • 1,520 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 08:59 PM

Yeh, that was meant as an experiment only really, after the upgrade from Invision they knocked off all the settings for notifications and it seems now that some are not even getting notifications on replies, etc - I thought I'd try placing the button in each post to make it more obvious but now that you've drawn my attention to it, it does look a little over the top me thinks!. Removing it now ... one question though FF .. I see from the last few topics you've posted in you're not subscribed to them also, is that by choice - I mean do you 'unfollow' those topics or are you just posting without choosing any options? Curious to know in an effort to try and resolve this whole subscription nightmare that Invision have kindly left us with :)

#34 tada

New Poster!

• Members
                            • 4 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:07 PM

I don't think I'm being notified of replies to topics either marko?

#35 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
                              • 1,520 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:10 PM

It wouldn't appear so tada, I'll have to raise this with Invison themselves, ridiculous state of affairs if I'm honest - they've broke more with this update than they've fixed!

#36 FreeWareFan

Advanced Member!

• Advanced Member
                                • 38 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 11:01 PM

View Postmarko, on 26 August 2011 - 08:59 PM, said:

I see from the last few topics you've posted in you're not subscribed to them also, is that by choice - I mean do you 'unfollow' those topics or are you just posting without choosing any options?

Only posting, can't thought how to use this function for usability. :)

#37 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
                                  • 1,520 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 09:58 AM

It's been confirmed this is ANOTHER bug from Invision - if anyone would like to receive notifications automatically when they reply to a thread go to your notifications area in the UserCP Here and place a tick in the box "Auto follow topics I reply to" and in "Notification frequency:" choose how you would like to receive notifications :)

However, new members with a post count of less than 20 may still experience problems receiving notifications until Invison decide to release a fix for the whole issue :girl_cray2:

Also, some users Avatars/photo thumbnails have screwed up again, another bug! Awaiting this fix also.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users