• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Spotify - was it too good to be true?

#1 User is offline marko

• Platinum Poster!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Root Admin

Posted 06 May 2011 - 01:49 PM

Just when we were all getting mighty comfortable with the whole idea of Spotify, it's free music streaming service and associated paraphernalia they have now decided to restrict the number of hours a free user has access to, 10 to be precise. Previously, it was something like 20 which most probably sufficed for most liberal users but I think 10 hours is pushing it a little!. This equates to approximately 30 minutes a day

Additionally, you're now only able to listen to the same track a maximum of 5 times and I'm left wondering what's next? Can only listen between off-peak hours like 10pm - 6am.

Seems to me Spotify is showing the same contempt as a few other reasonably successful outfits, entice the masses with offers of free stuff and then begin to squeeze them slowly, forcing people to start stumping up despite the fact they must by now be earning considerable sums through their advertising for free users and having been those very users who rocketted them to the place they are at the moment!.

Suffice to say, many will switch off and it probably won't be too long before another budding entrepreneur comes along with a better deal - at the end of the day, most people will only use a service like this if it's free of charge, granted it's a worthwhile service, but when we're talking about an absolute mass of 10-16 year old users then it's not an option for them to pay, most are still at school or college and will spend what pocket money they get on other things. Just hope Spotify don't squeeze too hard or they just may get the "bang" they didn't expect!.

#2 User is offline google

• Advanced Poster!
    • PipPip
      • Group: Advanced Member

Posted 07 May 2011 - 02:38 PM

I think services like this are always inevitably going to attract people with free offers until they feel comfortable enough to start asking for payments. Of course, there has always been the option to pay for Spotify which gives you unlimited access and no ad interruptions but I think expecting few limitations on something like Spotify is a little short sighted. It does depend on how far they go and currently I would agree 10 hours per month is a little scrooge-like, and there is even rumor that Spotify helped stop a lot of illegal downloading of MP3's and their decision to now reduce the hour-age will see some return to piracy though I don't really go for that argument myself.

#3 User is offline w_williamson

• Gold Poster!
      • PipPipPipPipPip
        • Group: Administrators

Posted 15 May 2011 - 01:01 PM

Spotify are getting too greedy like most companies like this do, they get millions and millions of users and then hit them with charges. I have used Spotify since it came out and at first it was fantastic and i wouldn't have minded paying 4.99 a month for it, but the fact that they say on their homepage "For free and instant access to over 13 million tracks, just download Spotify to your computer." says to me, "download this program, and listen to all the music you want" but then once you get used to it and start thinking it's a really great program (which it is) they start hitting you with charges.

When it first came out, all that you would pay for is the removal of adverts, offline access to music and a mobile app which allows you to listen to Spotify on your phone, but now they are charging you to actually listen to a song more than 5 times?!. Most people who use Spotify are students or teenagers like myself who, to be honest, have better things to spend 5 quid a month on, and with most teenagers having mobile phone contracts, xbox live subscriptions, car insurance and lots of other things, 5 pounds can be alot when on a minimum wage or maybe not even having a job and using a college/university grant.

It won't be long before another company comes along, makes the new "Spotify" and gets most of Spotify's existing clients, just because they got greedy and started trying to make everyone pay for something which was supposedly free for all to use. I for one, will not be using Spotify again because of this as i'm sure alot of other people will do.

Cheers,
        William

#4 User is offline marko

• Platinum Poster!
        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
          • Group: Root Admin

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:32 PM

To be fair though "mobile phone contracts, xbox live subscriptions, car insurance and lots of other things" are just really 'non-essentials' like Spotify, it really comes down the choice of the end-user as to what it is they want to prioritise I guess, though I agree a lot of people will no-doubt find an alternative, but my major gripe is a lot of online ventures these days start up and offer something for nothing to entice you in, then when you least expect it they pull the rug from under you by either imposing unrealistic limits or will scrap free services outright in favour of subscription only. At the end of the day the users have the final say on services like this, if it really annoys you that companies like Spotify make changes like this, use your feet and don't use their free services - unless the revenue they make from subscriptions covers their cost's then they'll have to backtrack :angry:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
          • You cannot start a new topic
          • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
          0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users