Freeware Software: Should we ban software that forces you to install add-ons? - Freeware Software

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Should we ban software that forces you to install add-ons?

Poll: Should we ban software that forces you to install add-ons? (57 member(s) have cast votes)

Should we ban software that forces you to install add-ons, even if some consider the add-on NOT to be dangerous?

1. Yes, it should be banned as I don't agree I should be forced to install any add-ons (52 votes [91.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 91.23%

2. It should only be banned if the add-on is known to be dangerous (3 votes [5.26%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

3. No, it shouldn't be banned, I would trust the developer to include details of the add-on in their terms which I would read and make my own mind up (1 votes [1.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.75%

4. No, it shouldn't be banned, I would accept the add-on and support the developer (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. I don't really care if it installs an add-on or not, I'd take the chance (1 votes [1.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.75%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline marko

• Platinum Poster!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Root Admin

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:54 PM

We've already started to add a few freeware titles to our new Bad freeware and unorthodox add-ons forum, a few of them being surprisingly well known and popular titles too!.

Question is, as a responsible and safety conscious website as FreewareBB is, do you agree that we should withdraw our support from software which forces you to install an add-on on your computer or should we leave the decision to you, the end-user. We're not talking about software which gives you the choice to opt-out, we're talking primarily about software which will install add-ons WITHOUT the option of an opt-out who may justify this based on the fact they include details of the included add-on in their 'terms' or 'license agreement'.

As always, please cast your vote and share your opinions with everyone below ;)
    Marko

#2 User is offline 2shay

• New Poster!
    • Pip
      • Group: Advanced Member

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:04 PM

Yes should be banned outright.

This is why so many people have multiple toolbars on their web browsers, people DO NOT and WILL NOT read the terms when installing software.

#3 User is offline BigB

• New Poster!
      • Pip
        • Group: Members

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:26 PM

Any addon software, toolbar or plugin should be opt in and not opt out. Many a time I've repackaged an application to remove these items so that next time I install i don't have to worry about it.

#4 User is offline AnimalSoftware

• New Poster!
        • Pip
          • Group: Developer

Posted 17 May 2011 - 08:11 PM

As BigB said, it should be 'Opt In'.

'Silently' installing software (regardless of how 'harmless' it is meant to be) goes against the grain, IMHO.

When releasing my software I was approached by various companies trying to get me to include add-ons.
          But their disingenuous attitude convinced me that it was not an honest thing to do.

#5 User is offline luffy

• New Poster!
          • Pip

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:26 PM

I hate add-ons.

#6 User is offline sulasno

• New Poster!
            • Pip

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:15 AM

I wonder why toolbars are included ? soon toolbars will occupy 33% of the screen

#7 User is offline James (Jim) Hillier

• Platinum Poster!
                • Group: Super Mod

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:40 AM

Hey sulasno - The toolbars are usually included in order to garner some revenue for the developers of the software.

soon toolbars will occupy 33% of the screen

LOL. Believe it or not, I see many computers where this has actually happened already; sometimes 7 or 8 toolbars have been installed. And the scary part is, the vast majority of users have no idea what they are for or where they came from!!

And that is, of course, exactly what the distributors are hoping will happen!

Cheers....Jim

#8 User is offline Wolf

• Advanced Poster!
                • PipPip

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:25 AM

The first step is an add-on. The next step could be a trojan dropper.

#9 User is offline marko

• Platinum Poster!

Posted 18 May 2011 - 11:24 AM

Great replies as always guys, most sharing our own concerns here on FreewareBB - give an inch, take the whole nine yards. It is an unfortunate part of web life that we have to remain somewhat pessimistic but prevention is always better than the cure.

Keep the votes and comments coming, there are more reading this and forming an opinion than even we probably realise ;)
                    Marko

#10 User is offline Anatolij

• Gold Poster!
                    • PipPipPipPipPip
                      • Group: Developer

Posted 18 May 2011 - 02:53 PM

Is there such a program is free AnVirTask Manager 6.3.1 (http://www.anvir.net). When installing additional panels, etc. I clicked "quarantine". No additional panels I have not. Only panel kotorve I allowed (only 1)

#11 User is offline marko

• Platinum Poster!

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:27 PM

Anatolij, I do know we removed our support for AnVirTask Manager because anvir.com is "Used for the distribution of "rogue" security or other such applications", but I can't really tell from your post what it is your trying to say :unsure:

#12 User is offline jjj

• Advanced Poster!
                        • PipPip

Posted 20 May 2011 - 02:28 AM

Maybe, unless there is not an option to install or not.
                          However you could be discretionary and allow some only in very special circumstances (no other alternatives?)
                          Or you can say no under all circumstances - there is always other sites where we can download if we really want to-
                          Possibly the last approach would be appreciated by most of your long time members as it would maintain your integrity,
                          something missing from most other sites nowadays.
                          I've seen some browsers (IE) with less than a third of space beneath the toolbars - another reason for using chrome!

#13 User is offline marko

• Platinum Poster!

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:18 AM

jjj, we do need to sit back and assess the situation from time to time as the whole issue of add-ons is an ever changing one as another site pops up that offers developers the chance too monetize, absolutely nothing wrong with that as far as I'm concerned but it can give us a headache sometimes!. Our policy has always been to allow additional software in freeware so long as the end-user has the opportunity to opt-out or in and the software and all add-ons are not virused, dangerous or suspicious in any way. Misleading tactics, like nothing in the license agreement about the add-on, is another reason we would consider removing our support for a title - it really is becoming a minefield but I'm sure with the support from the members we'll spot those sneaky inclusions and deal with them appropriately :)
                            Marko

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
                            • You cannot start a new topic
                            • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                            0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Alexa