• You cannot reply to this topic

Screen Grabbers My Zone Alarm Beta Ate My Screen Grabber

#1 User is offline VideoPod

• New Poster!
  • Pip
    • Group: Members

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:53 PM

Ok,
    I'm doing the Zone Alarm Beta and noticed that my old standby Screen Caputre & Image Conversion Software Clip'nSave circu DynaLink Technologies is being rendered unusable.
    First of all is anyone else here on the Zone Alarm Beta?
    If so what are you using for Screen Capture & Image Conversion?
    I'm in a bind because I want to stay with the Beta but I need the Utility as I write tutorials and
    implement the screen captures which of course I no longer can do.
    Thank You In advance.

#2 User is online James (Jim) Hillier

• Platinum Poster!
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Super Mod

Posted 18 May 2011 - 11:11 PM

Hey VideoPod - I do not use Zone Alarm and I never would. HOWEVER, there are plenty of very good alternative screen capture tools available in the freeware ranks. Are you looking for a specific feature or component?

Here are several of the best for you to check out, they are all free and include usual capture options plus a built-in editor:

PicPick Tools (portable)

Screenpresso (portable)

EasyCapture

Hopefully, one of those will play nice with Zone Alarm. :)

HTH,
      Cheers....Jim

#3 User is offline marko

• Platinum Poster!
        • Group: Root Admin

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:16 AM

As for your original issue, unfortunately I couldn't hazard a guess as to what could be the problem I'm afraid - sounds somewhat unusual that a firewall would interupt the workings of a screen capture program to be honest. As Jim has already said, best bet would be to find an alternative screen capture program, or alternatively try another firewall see if that clears the problem ;)
        Marko

#4 User is offline VideoPod

• New Poster!
        • Pip

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:04 PM

Opps, I sausage fingered it. Hit reply and thought another screen would come up.
          Thanks for the help. I'm interested as to why you would never use Zone Alarm. I already know that it has one blind side for the XP Security 2011 program Virus. Lost the Hard Drive over that! So I am open to fixes for that.
          I do know that MalwareBytes will catch it and loaded that. However, I can't figure out why Zone Alarm hasn't fixed this yet. I got his by the 2010 version and posted it in their forums and now got hit by the 2011 version so I'm thinking somethings fishey.... Might be a trusted Zone Alarm contributor or something.
          That aside Yes I did tell them I'd help them with the Beta for this very reason so that's why I'm on it.
          I also own 3 subscriptions of the regular copy but if they can't fix the XP Security 2011 virus and it still interferes with Screen Grabbers then I won't be able to use it.
          I'll look at the utilities you posted.
          Thank You Very Much.
          Murph

View PostJames (Jim) Hillier, on 18 May 2011 - 11:11 PM, said:

Hey VideoPod - I do not use Zone Alarm and I never would. HOWEVER, there are plenty of very good alternative screen capture tools available in the freeware ranks. Are you looking for a specific feature or component?

Here are several of the best for you to check out, they are all free and include usual capture options plus a built-in editor:

PicPick Tools (portable)

Screenpresso (portable)

EasyCapture

Hopefully, one of those will play nice with Zone Alarm. :)

HTH,
          Cheers....Jim

#5 User is offline VideoPod

• New Poster!
          • Pip

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:08 PM

It's the weirdest thing. If I reboot and click on the ClipnSave it works on the desktop. As soon as I open up Mozilla's Firefox which has the zone alarm tool bar... then anything I try to capture turns out black. In fact if I try to use the adjustable size crosshairs for capture as I draw the mouse over the graphic a 120by100 pixel box appears and erases whatever is on screen in that particular area of the mouse. Very Very Weird.
            I'll Try some of the previous mentioned utilities.
            Thank You so Much for the feedback, it's greatly appreciated.
            Murph

View Postmarko, on 19 May 2011 - 06:16 AM, said:

As for your original issue, unfortunately I couldn't hazard a guess as to what could be the problem I'm afraid - sounds somewhat unusual that a firewall would interupt the workings of a screen capture program to be honest. As Jim has already said, best bet would be to find an alternative screen capture program, or alternatively try another firewall see if that clears the problem ;)
            Marko

#6 User is online James (Jim) Hillier

• Platinum Poster!
              • Group: Super Mod

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:10 PM

Hey Murph,

I'm interested as to why you would never use Zone Alarm.

I'm not a huge fan of 3rd party firewalls in general. I don't believe they offer any real advantages for the vast majority of average users and, in many cases, the ratio of benefits to drawbacks is not positive. IMO, outbound firewalls are mostly all noise and offer very little in the way of any real extra protection.
              (I would be happy to expand on this and offer a more detailed explanation - might be a good topic for the forum perhaps :))

Why Zone Alarm in particular? I've been writing about software and moderating help forums for a long time. If someone reports a certain software won't run or is not working properly, first question [in response] is always, 'what security software are you running'. Most answers will always include a third party firewall in the list and Zone Alarm is the one mentioned more often than not......and, bingo!! there's your culprit.

So, in fairness, I am not basing my opinion of Zone Alarm on any first hand experience, rather on personal observations. :)

Cheers....Jim

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
              • You cannot start a new topic
              • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
              0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users