Freeware Software: Which Windows are you using? - Freeware Software

• 2 Pages +

Which Windows are you using?

Poll: Which Windows are you using? (51 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Operating System are you at the moment

1. Still with XP and will be until the death (9 votes [17.65%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.65%

2. Still with XP but seriously considering migrating to Windows 7 (6 votes [11.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

3. Have already migrated from XP to Windows 7 (16 votes [31.37%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 31.37%

4. Using Vista and will stick with it (3 votes [5.88%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.88%

5. Using Vista but would like to migrate to Windows 7 (4 votes [7.84%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.84%

6. Have already migrated from Vista to Windows 7 (6 votes [11.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

7. Using Windows Pre-XP (1 votes [1.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.96%

8. Not using Windows (2 votes [3.92%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.92%

9. Still with XP and will be moving from Windows once XP runs out (4 votes [7.84%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.84%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline marko

• Platinum Poster!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Root Admin

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:30 AM

GNUCash updated to include Linux & macOS versions ... https://freewarebb.com/files/file/6494-gnucash/

#22 User is offline jjj

• Advanced Poster!
    • PipPip
      • Group: Advanced Member

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:51 PM

On xp and still probably using only 10% of its potential, so no hurry to change.
      However have started running into problems with programs designed to run on vista or above and know the time will come
      to upgrade, most likely network issues as it did with W98 to xp - started on 7kps compared to 1375kps now (just tested http://www.davescomputertips.com/speedtest/speed-test.php)
      If support for xp ends in 2014 will most likely go to W8 however by this time I really believe that cloudbase OS such as the coming Chrome OS may be the way to go.

#23 User is offline Anatolij

• Gold Poster!
      • PipPipPipPipPip
        • Group: Developer

Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:07 PM

I, as a user, I want to operate a computer and not a computer control me. Always all the settings on your computer by yourself.
        I liked the Windows 97SE - was a very stable system, and then XP - if you disable the recovery and yet 25-30 % of others, can be completely customized. Vista - it was a shame for Microsoft. So, Microsoft should be ashamed of a lot of "empty" updates XP. I usually set one 25-30. 60 % had an update for IE and Windows Media Player, which I never used (IE only on Win 95). Win 7 put his daughter. She's pretty - works well. But I like to test the program, and XP best suited.
        Sorry for my English - reading is easier than writing.

#24 User is offline FrancisV

• New Poster!
        • Pip
          • Group: Members

Posted 26 May 2011 - 12:09 PM

View PostJames (Jim) Hillier, on 24 May 2011 - 09:00 PM, said:

Hey Guys - Some great feedback here and some interesting results too.

Just to let you know:

Bearing in mind that XP users seem to be the most loyal to their OS; this poll was started with the main goal of ascertaining how the migration rate from XP to Windows 7 was progressing. Older Windows OS's were included 'out of interest', both Linux and Mac were excluded because they weren't really germane to the exercise.

So, please don't feel left out because your OS of choice was not originally included in the poll.....that was not meant to reflect negatively on Linux nor Mac, they just were not part of this particular equation. :)

All my fault, I should have explained the purpose of the poll more clearly. Marko has been most generous in adding extra categories to accommodate those preferences.

@Francis - Hey Francis (from one old geezer to another :)). I've been right through the entire series of Windows OS's; still running XP, Vista and Windows 7. I agree 100% with your appraisal, Windows 7 is marvelous; more secure than XP, boot and shut down times are good and the OS is extremely stable and nice to work with. Apart from the drawback of older 'favourite programs' sometimes not being supported, Windows 7 is (IMO) much better than XP. In fact, I would choose Windows 7 over XP without hesitation.

Cheers....Jim

Hey "old geezer", Greets!

Seems I've been a bit longer with MS and it's OSes or am I wrong ;) ?. And I do heavily regret the DOS days where I was in full control: every machine I prepared would be at top performance and stability because of the command I had acquired over .BAT, .SYS and other .INI files, where I was able to optimize the whole process and squeeze out every possible bit of performance. And this remained true to a certain extent under Windows 3.1. Then came the (infamous) registry and it ruined it all. Gone were both full control and, which is even worse, stability :angry: .Not that I'm afraid to dig into the damned registry (thanks to RegScanner ;) , but it's such a mess in there that, sometimes, fixing one issue just creates another... And Win 7 may be great, but it is still in charge, not me :unsure: :

Yes I still miss the "full control". For example, why would Win7 keep installing the same updates on and on when it had already (automatically) done so during the previous session. Reverting to "let me choose" (my favorite, but I was willing to give 7 its chance), I don't really call "having control" over an error situation. Other annoyance, it refuses to give me access to the other PC's in my home network, cause, since I live alone and am the sole user of my desktops, they don't have a password so they can (slowly) boot up while I'm performing some other domestic chores... Of course Vista requests one to access my password protected portable under Win7 (by the way Vista lets me check to "remember" my 7 password, then never does, but, of course, that's Vista for you :P ) isn't it?. Any idea how I could "control" both these issues?

#25 User is offline James (Jim) Hillier

• Platinum Poster!
            • Group: Super Mod

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:00 PM

Hey Francis, g'day from downunder.

Seems I've been a bit longer with MS and it's OSes or am I wrong

A little longer, yes mate.:) I never reveal my actual birth date in public profiles where I also use my real name. A little paranoid perhaps but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Besides, it affords me an opportunity to cheat a little. :)

"Old days - Full control - DOS"...yes, I'm hearing you Francis. I guess the advent of the internet and its burgeoning proliferation has influenced the 'permissions' and 'control' side of operating systems to a large extent; there are many folk who need saving from themselves.:)

It's a bit of a conundrum for the developers really; I've no doubt they could present an operating system which offers consumers full control, but then the rallying cries of 'unsafe' and 'insecure' would soon follow. The balance between offering maximum security and being a downright nuisance would (I suspect) be a pretty fine line. Plus, of course, there is the corporate environment to consider, employees are not averse to abusing the privilege. MS got it all wrong with Vista, I believe they have achieved an acceptable compromise with Windows 7.

why would Win7 keep installing the same updates on and on when it had already (automatically) done so during the previous session

Never experienced that problem first hand Francis, although I have read many similar reports. I always hated when Windows Update kicked in regardless of what I might be doing at the time so I have, for a very long time now, always set to 'Let me choose'.

Any idea how I could "control" both these issues?

To be honest Francis (and absolutely no offense intended); considering your background and obvious expertise, I'm not certain if you are actually seeking assistance here or merely asking 'tongue in cheek' to help emphasise the point? :)

Cheers,
            All the best....Jim

#26 User is offline FrancisV

• New Poster!
            • Pip
              • Group: Members

Posted 27 May 2011 - 06:39 PM

an operating system which offers consumers full control

You're quite right about that. in those days I would, indeed, never allow my users to touch any of my configuration files. Would have meant an end to support :angry: But, what about real "admin rights"? In the companies I worked for, solely the administrators had the right to formulate the rules and modify them if needed to. But for the really experienced people around, I'm afraid that the fundamental Windows choice for this messy registry thing precludes that. They would have to rewrite the full thing to allow again for fully configurable parts with proper editing access afterwards! And although I would even be ready to pay for that, I guess it would cost a behemoth like MS far too much money to perform this...

I'm not certain if you are actually seeking assistance here or merely asking 'tongue in cheek'

Well, indeed, as far as Vista is concerned, this was merely 'tongue in cheek', but for the Win7 bit, about passwords required to access other PC's, I really could use some 'assistance', because all my 'background and obvious expertise' doesn't help me any further when it comes to handle that kind of issues not covered by "their" standard procedures.... So if any one has an idea :huh: ?

All the best too... downunder, so far away from silly little Belgium (you may not have heard of this ridiculous little country (carrying the European Capital though) that's not been able to form a proper government after almost a full year now, and still going :unsure: :blink: ...

#27 User is offline James (Jim) Hillier

• Platinum Poster!
                • Group: Super Mod

Posted 27 May 2011 - 10:57 PM

Hey Francis - Well, I'm not too familiar with the networking procedure between different OS's, never really felt the need to create a 'sharing' environment.

BUT, if you could please explain (or clarify) exactly what it is you are having difficulty with...I am very good at researching issues.:)

Also, if Marko reads this, he might have some ideas.

I assume you would be aware of the Password Protected Sharing settings under: Control Panel>Network & Sharing Center>Change advanced sharing settings? Scroll down the list of settings until you see the "Password Protected Sharing" options:
                Attached Image: monthly_05_2011/post-1067-0-41314300-1306536853.png
                From there you change the setting so that no password is required (simply enable the option to 'Turn off password protected sharing').

#28 User is offline marko

• Platinum Poster!
                  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 28 May 2011 - 10:36 AM

If you can give us specific examples of what it is you're trying to do Francis, we might be able to help further - Windows 7 is a bit of a pain when it comes to networking, I've never really pursued it's capabilities to be honest, kinda dropped all that when I moved from XP - but I'm sure there are ways and means to do anything :)
                  Cheers
                  Marko

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

This post will need approval from a moderator before this post is shown.

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                  0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Alexa