Welcome to FreewareBB

Why not become a full member?, it's fast, free and allows you to participate in our forums and add or comment on our free software, leave reviews and comments and much much more! - we NEVER share your details with anyone else, that's a promise! ... REGISTER FREE TODAY

");

Should I Change My Password.

4 replies to this topic

#1 James (Jim) Hillier

Platinum Poster!

• Super Mod
  • 635 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:03 AM

ShouldIChangeMyPassword.com has been created to help the average person check if their password(s) may have been compromised and need to be changed.

This site uses a number of databases that have been released by hackers to the public. The email you enter will NOT be stored, transmitted, or otherwise used beyond this check.

Should I Change My Password is a simple online service which can help identify if you may be at risk.

Visit the site, enter the email address you use for various accounts and click the Check it! button. The service will then search through a large database of compromised account passwords and their associated email addresses to find out if your details are among them. If you are indeed listed, you should change your password right away. If not, you are probably safe for the time being but, of course, there is no absolute guarantee.

It should be noted; Should I Change My Password is not a 100% certain method for ascertaining if your accounts are completely safe, but it is a good way to find out if they may have been compromised. The best and most secure method is to always choose a very strong password in the first place. :)
    Jim Hillier - Freeware editor Daves Computer Tips News Letter.

#2 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
    • 1,504 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 06:19 AM

Jim, call me sceptical, but I'd always be wary of services such as this, it's almost like a "Should I change my bank?" site where you would enter your account details and they'll tell you if your account is at risk - probably would be the minute you enter your details!. I'm not saying for one second that this site isn't genuine, but it's always a good idea not to enter any details into a site that you don't know or trust, that's usually how spam starts.

Spammers and scammers are always looking for new and different ways to catch people out, I've even been caught out by "marketing" over the phone where they'll phone pretending to be from a legitimate organisation and ask a few non-taxing questions then right at the end ask when your house insurance is due for renewal, strangely enough just recently (around the time the house insurance is due for renewal) I've received about 30 calls in the one week, all from companies wanting to quote me. In other words, once a company or organisation got hold of my details, they'll sell the details (and potential) on and until the likes of "Should I change my password?" has been proven to be genuine I'd be a little wary :)

#3 James (Jim) Hillier

Platinum Poster!

• Super Mod
      • 635 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 11:56 AM

Hey Marko - Yes I must admit to having very similar reservations, but you underestimate me mate. I would not post anything like this without having checked it out thoroughly beforehand. :)

The site does not attract anything but Green ratings across the board, plus I read through reviews and testimonials from reputable sources prior to posting. No-one can ever be 100% certain but I am pretty sure this site lives up to its promises and is safe....otherwise I wouldn't have posted. :)

And if it turns out I am wrong, don't worry...I'll give myself an uppercut. ;)

Cheers....Jim

#4 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
        • 1,504 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:48 PM

LOL! I wouldnt doubt your estimations Jimbo, you've been right so far mate, just had images of all kinds of similar sites popping up and users thinking its OK to pop in their details, but as you say, green rated and you've checked it out so all good mate, suffice to say we stand by our recommendations on FBB and are careful what we recommend in the first place which is why we're renowned for our safety record :)

#5 James (Jim) Hillier

Platinum Poster!

• Super Mod
          • 635 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 10:30 PM

Here, here!!! :yes: