Freeware Software: Image scanner - Freeware Software

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Image scanner Is your scanner still functional?

#1 User is online campart

• Advanced Poster!
  • PipPip
    • Group: Advanced Member

Posted 29 June 2011 - 11:51 PM

I recently went to use my scanner, an old Acer/Benq 4300u. It has always worked in the past but now it does not. So I moved my operation to my wife's PC to use her even older Mustek 600 III EP plus. This too was no longer working. Both PCs are using XP sp3 and updates. So, my assumption is that at some time during the past 6 months an MS update has caused image scanning to be killed off. Has anyone else found a similar problem? Just to complete this saga my wife took the photo, which we wanted in digital form, to work where she has a very fine up to date HP Scanjet (4750 I think). This too was not working as all the computers at her school have been updated to Win7 and apparently there is not a driver for this OS.
    I searched the MS kbs and actually found my scanner listed under their approved WIA list (Windows Image Acquisition). The list was, it appeared, compiled Feb this year and the article promised that updated drivers would be available soon....er that was 4 months ago.
    Please add your experiences to my groans above. Perhaps MS just wants to stop everyone wasting time on scanning anything at all.

#2 User is online marko

• Platinum Poster!
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Root Admin

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:54 AM

Campart, I know of old that SP3 caused a lot of issues in the past, but assuming your devices worked OK after the SP release then your probably correct to assume an update has caused the device to stop working. Only suggestion I could make would be to try and reinstall using the original discs that came with the device if you have them, otherwise you may be stuck. If you feel comfortable uninstalling updates from add/remove programs, you could remove the last few, see if that makes a difference but it could be like trying to find a needle in a haystack and means you would need to turn off automatic updates to avoid re-installing the problem update. Even trying a system restore might offer a temp solution, but again this would only last as long as it took the update to reapply itself.

Because XP is due to be phased out, you'll probably struggle to find any support from MS and instead would be told to upgrade to W7 presumably, I reckon we'll see a lot more of these issues in the next few years as device drivers become unavailable and subsequent updates crash out the old one's!

#3 User is offline James (Jim) Hillier

• Platinum Poster!
        • Group: Super Mod

Posted 30 June 2011 - 07:57 AM

Only suggestion I could make would be to try and reinstall using the original discs that came with the device if you have them

Yes, I agree that should be the first thing to try. Also will add (if that doesn't solve the problem); go to the device manufacturer's site and see if there are any updated software/drivers available.

#4 User is offline jjj

• Advanced Poster!
        • PipPip

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:04 PM

Campart, I have issues as well with scanning {canoscan n650u} and xp3, had to unplug the cam attached to solve the issue.
          If this doesn't work try uninstalling any other TWAIN devices . I use Picassa to import from the scanner and this will show up any twain devices you may have hidden.

#5 User is online campart

• Advanced Poster!
          • PipPip

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:42 AM

I now have this scanner running again. Thank you to Marko, Jim and Jjj. Since the process was rather arcane I will recount it for any other readers as it may help with other brands of scanner which have mysteriously stopped. First, Marko was nearly right when he said to reinstall with the original CD. So here is the process which actually worked. First I tried the manufacturers home site and their support. This driver did not work. The program installed ok but could not locate the scanner. I should add that Windows itself was picking up on the 'new hardware added' and identifying it as a scanner type 13. Another rumage through Google's offerings mainly came up with what I had already tried except for one correspondent on "Fixya" who said that the latest driver on the Benq site does not work. I was then directed to

http://www.driverskit.com/freedownload/Scanner/Benq/Flatbed_4300U_3300U

This is the driver that worked for me. If I still had the original CD, I suspect that it would not have worked as the scanner was manufactured in 2000 and installation discs from that period often covered 95, 98, 2000, ME and XP. My experience with printers from that era leads me to the conclusion that things changed quickly for XP and did not settle again until after the 3 service packs. When installing the driver you will need to bail out from the Wizard and just install the driver using 'setup.exe'. I hope that this is helpful to someone else struggling with an old scanner.

#6 User is offline James (Jim) Hillier

• Platinum Poster!
              • Group: Super Mod

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:29 AM

Thank you campart!! Very useful information for sure!! :)

Cheers...Jim

#7 User is online marko

• Platinum Poster!
                • Group: Root Admin

Posted 05 July 2011 - 06:31 AM

Good to hear it worked out for you :good:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
                • You cannot start a new topic
                • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic