Welcome to FreewareBB

Why not become a full member?, it's fast, free and allows you to participate in our forums and add or comment on our free software, leave reviews and much much more! - we NEVER share your details with anyone else, that's a promise! ... REGISTER FREE TODAY

");

Do you leave your computer on all the time or switch off after use?

19 replies to this topic
"); //]]>

Poll: Do you leave your computer on all the time or switch off after use? (47 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you leave your computer on all the time or switch off after use?

1. On all the time, 24/7 (6 votes [12.77%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.77%

2. On most times - I usually leave it upto the PC to hibernate itself (5 votes [10.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.64%

3. On most times - will shut down occassionally (4 votes [8.51%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.51%

4. On during the day, shut down at night (17 votes [36.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 36.17%

5. Always shut down when I'm finished with it (14 votes [29.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 29.79%

6. Shut down all the time, even if I'm going back to it shortly (1 votes [2.13%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.13%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:27 PM

With power bills increasing and climate control making headlines, I'm wondering who amongst us worries about how we use our computers - are they really smart enough nowadays to shut themselves down and use no power or are we actually using more power to start up our machines a few times a day than it would take to leave them on 24/7?.

Your vote and opinions, as always, welcomed :mocking:

#2 FreeWareFan

Advanced Member!

• Advanced Member
    • 38 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:47 PM

I'm maintaining ratio on torrent sites, so often leave PC and shutdown it only at night. :mocking:

#3 Igogo

New Poster!

• Members
      • 2 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:51 PM

My PC work 24/7 - crunching for [email protected]

#4 John T

Advanced Poster!

• Developer
        • 21 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:16 PM

I have one of those free energy monitors that the power company were pushing
          in order for me to save the planet and those who would inherit it, etc, etc,
          After fitting it & watching your power consumption, you will learn that switching
          off your computer or laptop when not in use is quite a good idea !
          Problem solved, I saved the world !

John

#5 mizdoc

New Poster!

• Members
          • 9 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:56 PM

I usually shut down after I'm finished using it. Not to save energy though. My first PC used to have a resource leak that I couldn't find, so I had to shut it down and reboot it to "refresh" my resources and so, of course, I would shut it down when finished. So it's just routine....when finished, shut it down.

#6 James (Jim) Hillier

Platinum Poster!

• Super Mod
            • 650 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:11 PM

View PostJohn T, on 06 July 2011 - 09:16 PM, said:

Problem solved, I saved the world !

John

LOL. Good on ya John!! :mocking:
              Jim Hillier - Freeware editor Daves Computer Tips.com

#7 James (Jim) Hillier

Platinum Poster!

• Super Mod
              • 650 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:14 PM

Arguments have been made for and against over the years and in the end I guess it comes down to how an individual utilises the computer and personal choice.

One of the most common arguments for leaving a machine turned on is that the constant heating/cooling cycle will eventually cause solder joints to crack and subsequently, poor or zero connections. I doubt that would actually be the cause of too many breakdowns.

One of the main arguments for switching off is because leaving it on will consume a lot more electricity. Seriously????? Have these people never heard of "Power Plans"; sleep mode and hibernation?

Me, I leave my computers switched on all the time. The only times I ever switch them off is:

1) If I am going away for an extended period and
                2) If there are thunderstorms about.

That said, I do spend a lot of time on the machines and so it is mainly for convenience. :mocking:
                Jim Hillier - Freeware editor Daves Computer Tips.com

#8 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
                • 1,543 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:00 PM

I personally have been away from the actual electronics side of IT for a while now but of old I always remembered it was usually the 'client' side of things where electrical issues occured rather than the 'server' side - normally this was due to the fact it was always the 'clients' (in other words the desktop machines) which were turned off at the end of the day then on again in the morning and it's usually always when firing up the machines something would blow - hence the reason why we rarely had a problem with the server machines as they were on 24/7 unless they had to be brought down for some reason.

Suffice to say, technology and reliability has improved tenfold since then, but if we're talking about which is best for your computer I personally would opt for leaving it on and allowing the machine to manage itself, if we're talking about power consumption then it would have to be to shut it down.

Sleep mode, hibernation and any other form of standby facility will consume power from the mains, the exact amount of which I couldn't say with any certainty, but it stands to reason that unless a machine of any kind is completely powered off it will have to use some power to be in a position to 'resume' from where it left off. Laptops can pull from it's battery power without a main charge when in hibernation but it will only be able to do this for so long before finally loosing it's state when fully discharged.

#9 dstrout

Advanced Poster!

• Advanced Member
                  • 25 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:57 AM

In the poll I put in "On during the day, shut down at night". However, what I actually do is turn it off if I expect to be away for an hour or more. I dual boot Windows and Ubuntu, but I boot Ubuntu 80% of the time, and it comes up really fast, so it's no problem starting it up. Unfortunately, Ubuntu's power-saving modes (standby and hibernate) do not appear to work on my machine. If they did, I would probably put the computer on standby when I expected to be away for longer periods of time.

#10 Prads

Advanced Poster!

• Advanced Member
                    • 10 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 02:02 AM

I turn it off most of the time but when I am going to return back working on my computer after let's say less than an hour, I put it to Sleep.

Reply to this topic

This post will need approval from a moderator before this post is shown.