Cocoon - secure browsing now FREE!!

2 replies to this topic

#1 James (Jim) Hillier

Platinum Poster!

• Super Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 02:25 AM

The Cocoon security/privacy add-on for Firefox has been around since the beginning of 2011 but I must admit, along with many others, I had never heard of it before. And that my friends is why the developers have recently decided to make it available to everyone for free.

Until now Cocoon has been available only as payware. Apparently, the developers have been disappointed with the level of acceptance and are hoping that making it freeware will help broaden distribution and enhance recognition.

Cocoon keeps your browsing information private, your internet connection secure, and your email spam-free. The idea behind Cocoon is very sound; it is basically a web proxy service which, when initiated, directs all your browsing activities through Cocoon's servers via protected SSL connections. So, your IP address plus all browsing history are hidden from prying eyes, and even unsecure sites are accessed using a secure connection.

Cocoon also provides an on-the-fly disposable email address creator, to help keep spam out of your email inbox.

I would imagine there would be a trade of where speed in concerned, the actual extent would be difficult to assess.

Anyway, it's certainly won me over, I'm about to install it right now so I'll soon discover if speed (or lack of it) is a real issue. I'll get back to you on that one. :)

P.S. Internet Explorer users do not despair; Cocoon for IE is due to be released "soon".
    Jim Hillier - Freeware editor Daves Computer Tips News Letter.

#2 James (Jim) Hillier

Platinum Poster!

• Super Mod
    • 600 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 05:10 AM

UPDATE:

Installed Cocoon, no problems.

There is no direct download from the site. When you click on the Download button you will be taken to a page where you must enter your email address and then hit a Get it Free button.

You will then soon receive an email (at the address you input) which includes a download link. Hitting that download link takes you to a "Setup Account" page where you will need to type in a password. Once you have created you account, the installation then proceeds via easy to follow onscreen instructions.

You will finally be asked to restart Firefox and voila...up pops the Cocoon search page. Now all you need do is log-on to Cocoon (again, onscreen instructions help here) and away you go.

This is a very early assessment after only limited use but speed does not appear to be an issue at all. If anything, it seems actually faster.

A couple of very minor annoyances to date:

* Each time you log-on to Cocoon, the bookmarks sidebar vanishes. If you don't normally leave the sidebar enabled then it won't be a issue, but I always like to see the sidebar displaying my bookmarks. Bringing it back is just a simple matter of clicking View>Sidebar>Bookmarks via the main menu. A bit of a pain having to do that each time but no biggee.

* Cocoon uses the Google search engine, which is good but there doesn't appear to be any method for localising search results.....I like my "Results from Australia" option. Again no biggee but I would rather have it than not.

Of course, there is also the inconvenience of needing to repeatedly log back in to any member sites, but that is only to be expected. The way to overcome that is to browse outside the Cocoon environment when visiting sites where you are a member, or other known safe sites, just log-on to Cocoon when you are browsing around unfamiliar territory.

Will report any further observations after more time using Cocoon.
      Jim Hillier - Freeware editor Daves Computer Tips News Letter.

#3 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
      • 9,188 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 07:39 AM

Sounds interesting enough Jim, I'll wait till we have the IE download available before adding it to the site otherwise I can't actually offer anything to download as such because it's only currently a Firefox add-on and I can't grab the file to include it in a listing.
        FreewareBB isn't about just providing free downloads, we're a transparent community of responsible individuals helping others download safe free software without fear of contracting viruses, spyware or any other nasty surprises - visit our forums and see just how frank and open we all are and help us lead the way for the future of free, genuine and safe downloading!. Everyone has an opinion, and we love to hear them.

New Freeware on the site
        Updated Freeware on the site
        RSS Subscribe
        Report bad freeware here

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Alexa