Ubuntu Linux Operating System

8 replies to this topic

#1 michaelfarrimond

michaelfarrimond

New Poster!

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:29 AM

I recently upgraded my version of Ubuntu to the latest version. I have put the new Ubuntu through it's paces and I can only say that the authors have done a really magnificent job. In my opinion it knocks every other OS that I have tried into a cocked hat. Do yourself a favour and give Ubuntu a try. You will not regret it, I promise you.

Michael - Definitely an ex-Windows OS user. :good:

#2 marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
    • 26,084 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:14 AM

Michael, great to hear your success with Ubuntu mate - that OS really has came a long way and it has been some time since I tried it myself, I definitely need to dust down that old machine I have sitting doing nothing and give it a whirl - maybe if you have some spare time you could pop a few hints and tips in the help section on what you've experienced with Ubuntu so far :good:
      Marko

Please remember that we have people from many different timezones on the site and if your post requires a reply it could take longer at some at some points because of this.

Forums
      New Freeware on the site
      Updated Freeware on the site
      RSS Subscribe
      Report bad freeware here

#3 CarpathiaMan

CarpathiaMan

New Poster!

• Developer
      • 9 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 06:51 PM

I've experimented with Linux a lot -- for a long time there I was dual booting with Mint on my Windows 7 HP laptop, and it worked great.I also recently installed the latest version of Ubuntu on my main desktop rig as well.Appearance-wise, it blew me away -- I thought it was beautiful.But unfortunately, I had a couple of problems. It took a long time to boot (for some reason there was this long pause or delay), and my desktop got corrupted when I tried to use visual effects.I ended up removing it.

Something tells me that maybe it just wasn't getting along with my motherboard, since it was so new, as well as the Phenom II X6 processor I have in there.But I could be wrong.

#4 marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
        • 26,084 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 06:54 PM

Think MS will always keep the slight edge in regards to operating systems, Linux, Ubuntu and all other variations are fantastic operating systems, but for compatibility, ease of use and cross compatibility between PC's and mobile devices, I think MS are to remain the market leaders in OS's for a long time to come :)

Please remember that we have people from many different timezones on the site and if your post requires a reply it could take longer at some at some points because of this.

Forums
          New Freeware on the site
          Updated Freeware on the site
          RSS Subscribe
          Report bad freeware here

#5 FreeWareFan

FreeWareFan

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
          • 117 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 07:04 PM

View Postmarko, on 27 September 2011 - 06:54 PM, said:

Think MS will always keep the slight edge in regards to operating systems, Linux, Ubuntu and all other variations are fantastic operating systems, but for compatibility, ease of use and cross compatibility between PC's and mobile devices, I think MS are to remain the market leaders in OS's for a long time to come :)
            Only MacOS can do this task. For last years it grew up to 5% in the world and to 10% in USA.
            And I think it will grow up next years. :D

#6 CarpathiaMan

CarpathiaMan

New Poster!

• Developer
            • 9 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 07:05 PM

True, I think as long as you don't mind the slight learning curve (it has, after all, come a long way in the ease-of-use department), and the occasional need to get your hands dirty sometimes when you need to solve a problem, Linux can be a great choice for many people.

Of course, UNIX is one of those things that can get a little intimidating the deeper you go into it...:scratch_one-s_head:

#7 Claire Green

Claire Green

New Poster!

• Members
              • 8 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:58 AM

Good version! I 'll try.

#8 4ensicPenguin2

4ensicPenguin2

New Poster!

• Members
                • 4 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:22 PM

I'm loving the new Ubuntu 12.04, although I prefer using the Cinnamon desktop.Everything just works.

#9 4ensicPenguin2

4ensicPenguin2

New Poster!

• Members
                  • 4 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:27 PM

Don't do the learning curve thing if you want, and install Cinnamon for your interface.It's the old Gnome 2 improved.