"); //]]>
");

Which is your favourite freeware firewall?

firewall free favourite favorite freeware

11 replies to this topic

"); //]]>

Poll: Your favourite freeware firewall? (18 member(s) have cast votes)

Your favourite freeware firewall?

1. ZoneAlarm Free Firewall (2 votes [11.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

2. Comodo Firewall (2 votes [11.11%] - View)

3. Online Armor Free (1 votes [5.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

4. Outpost Firewall Free (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. PC Tools Firewall Plus (4 votes [22.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

6. Private Firewall (2 votes [11.11%] - View)

7. Other (3 votes [16.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

8. Built-in Windows Firewall (4 votes [22.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
  • 25,868 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 04:53 PM

When it comes to firewalls, you'd be amazed at how many people I've known without one. From friends to colleagues, they all say the same thing, "what do I need that for"? ... well, the first thing I'd say to that is every antivirus software has it's weaknesses, it can't possibly catch 100% of the nasties all of the time, and when that little gem does get through it's probably going to enjoy calling home or sending all kinds of data from your machine. With a firewall in place, that's often prevented outright and you're alerted to the fact something or someone is trying to send data from your machine.

There have been bag loads of firewalls released over the years, though we've listed some of the most popular freeware one's and we're asking you to choose which one you would consider the best ... if you can't see your favourite just reply and I'll add it to the list for you to choose :good:

Me, personally, I favour PC Tools Firewall Plus, not one of the major players but for me it does it's job well, get's on without constantly hassling me to make a decision and uses minimum resources!.

Marko

Please remember that we have people from many different timezones on the site and if your post requires a reply it could take longer at some at some points because of this.

Forums
    New Freeware on the site
    Updated Freeware on the site
    RSS Subscribe
    Report bad freeware here

#2 FreeWareFan

FreeWareFan

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
    • 117 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:40 PM

Jetico Personal Firewall 1.0.1.61 and Comodo 2.4 for XP.
      Sunbelt Personal Firewall for Vista.
      Built-In for Win7.

#3 James (Jim) Hillier

James (Jim) Hillier

Platinum Poster!

• Super Mod
      • 1,016 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 11:18 PM

Just Windows Firewall for me (in Windows 7).

All 3rd party firewalls are an annoyance if you ask me. Just that some are less of a nuisance than others.

I've sort of tolerated them in the past, had Online Armor installed in Vista for a couple of years, it wasn't too bad but I'm glad I no longer have to put up with the interruptions.

The trouble with most firewalls is that they flag everything which is deemed even remotely suspicious, so they have a fairly high propensity for issuing false alarms. And the onus is generally on the user to make the final decision....harmless or not. That can be both worrying and confusing for many not so experienced users.
        Jim Hillier - Managing editor Daves Computer Tips.com

#4 Margo

Margo

New Poster!

• Members
        • 4 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 01:16 AM

im very new to all this.... i downloaded peerblock, im assuming that is a firewall? I'm not even sure how to work it or if I need to work it.... I got some letter a while back for a movie my roommate had downloaded and i figured i would try something to block all that...

#5 marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
          • 25,868 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 07:18 AM

Peerblock uses IP addresses to block unwanted entrants to your computer, generally unless you're comfortable updating this type of software I would suggest using any of the firewalls in the list above, from my memory I really don't think Peerblock will provide you much protection at all.

Please remember that we have people from many different timezones on the site and if your post requires a reply it could take longer at some at some points because of this.

Forums
            New Freeware on the site
            Updated Freeware on the site
            RSS Subscribe
            Report bad freeware here

#6 Anatolij

Anatolij

Platinum Poster!

• Developer
            • 182 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 01:19 PM

I spent two years They are used Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free + avast! Free Antivirus.
              This tandem is very happy.

#7 campart

campart

Advanced Poster!

• Advanced Member
              • 20 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 08:18 PM

I agree with Jim's comments. I would add, however, that you have to accept the MS philosophy wrt firewalls, that incoming protection alone is adequate. My view is that this one way only position is fine for stand-alone computers and that additional upload scanning is really only required on networks with unsecured terminals.
                Regards
                Bryan

#8 mogginski

mogginski

New Poster!

• Members
                • 3 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 10:12 PM

Being a Mac fanatic I use Little Snitch. Easily enables you to selectively block any connection between your computer and software suppliers who might not be too impressed with your "extended" software trials!!

#9 BobC

BobC

Advanced Poster!

• Advanced Member
                  • 24 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 04:52 AM

Actually, I use two different firewalls because I run both XP and Linux (Ubuntu). I use the Ubuntu "ufw/gufw" firewall that is installed via the Synaptic Package Manager. On XP I use Zone Alarm (free version). I had some problem a while back in applying the updates and after attempting a re-install, which failed every time, I switched to the PC Tools free version. While it worked, it continuously nagged every time I went to the same site (would not remember the previous setting). I eventually cleaned up my XP system and found out I could re-install Zone Alarm. I find Zone Alarm to be easier to use and choose how I want to interface with various sites. PC Tools was such a pain in the butt at times, that I would actually disable it when it interfered when I was navigating certain trustworthy sites.

#10 BigB

BigB

Advanced Member!

• Advanced Member
                    • 45 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 03:05 PM

Comodo seems to be the best of the free varieties. At least for me. I was using ZA but that didn't work 64bits at the time.

Back to Polling Place Next Unread Topic ?