The Safe Free Download Site

Why not become a full member?, it's fast, free and allows you to participate in our forums and add or comment on our free software, leave reviews, access unlimited free downloads and more! - we NEVER share your details with anyone else, that's a promise! ... REGISTER FREE TODAY

");

Has a virus ever killed your computer?

virus computer

15 replies to this topic
"); //]]>

Poll: Has a virus ever killed your computer? (30 member(s) have cast votes)

Has a virus ever killed your computer?

1. Yes, lost everything and had to start from scratch (2 votes [6.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

2. Yes, luckily I managed to save my data though (9 votes [30.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

3. No, though I did have a nasty fright one time, managed to clean it (8 votes [26.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.67%

4. No, I've had the odd virus or spyware, but nothing that would concern me (7 votes [23.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.33%

5. No, always kept a clean computer (4 votes [13.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#11 TheRaven

Gold Poster!

• Advanced Member
  • 74 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 06:55 AM

Had me an ugly boy install itself using openCandy in my Windows 7 64bit system bypassing and totally opening my eyes to the futility that is UAC and WMI as the trojan slipped past everything. The Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI), User Access Controls (UAC) and Microsoft Security Essentials (MSSE) were rendered useless by this crap ware trojan and by the time MSSE did find the critter it was too late. The trojan was already in replication mode and got yanked that MSSE kept finding its little operations executable now and played a rock & roll fight song (literally) then browser windows started popping open for IE9, Chrome and Opera; the finishing touches of the trojan's recognition that it was discovered was reboot my system and do it in a manner that was non-negotiable (meaning that you could not stop the reboot as it locked out everything including the keyboard and mouse). When the system restarted I was presented with an application window right after the Windows startup screen with the pulsing Windows logo; the application then proceeded to start scanning my directories and this is all before the login screen of which never had a chance to even load. It obviously helped itself to my administrative or system accounts (baseline) and key logged everything that was pertinent to the administration account and in a manner that Windows, MSSE and WinPatrol could not identify or stop. MSSE managed to get the trojan and send it back to the Security portal for Microsoft through MSSE, but that really raked my nerves. I can honestly say that the person that authored that virus is lucky that I haven't found out who they are because they are one dark alley and a single breath away from finding out about the type of black hat I wear.

The trojan might not have needed to steal my ADMIN data as it could have piggy backed a trusted installed application and leech its credentials from other software presenting all sorts of falsified data to the O.S. I would have lusted the opportunity to reverse that bastage, but it could have come to pass that the code for it might have been obfuscated and it would have took some serious work to decipher where time is the only real requirement its amazing how much you can throttle illegal software using a modicum of common sense -- it really boils down to the fact that operating systems and software are just sloppy and the perfect hiding place is in a mess right out in the thick of things. It's actually sad that computers have been around since the thirties/forties or earlier and we still deal with moron design and idiotic organization. the cleanest system will be the most disease free and yes trojans are considered a disease as they affect the health of your system -- neat stuff.

To this day I still want to meet this person. There's a reason why I like Stewie and Vader -- the inhumanity of it all. Anyway, the trojan that got in was traced by yours truly and was located in part by yours truly using my little favo tools and MSSE was in fact quite accurate in its identification of the virus software. It was not as accurate as me tracking down the little jerks doorways and it went ahead and installed itself through Orbit Downloader and Vreveal and two doorways is the straight path down to hell in this field. I might as well had a nuclear war head in my box for all that matter and the sweetest thing about all of this is that I paid a licensing fee for Vreveal of about $30 USD so that a hacker a**hole could thrash my system. Believe it or not I uninstalled the software shortly before the trojan went into its little last ditch attack so that confirmed that Vreveal was a part in it willingly or not. The creators of Vreveal were told about openCandy and its questionable platform as I discovered in their forums and of which they never formally disclosed publicly until it was discovered by a user who addressed the fact by bringing out in the open. Vreveal staff openly supported openCandy as being safe and that they were using a subset of the library and it should be harmless -- WRONG. You can get your copy from the NVidia Cuda site hosted by NVidia too for $30 and two non-renewable weeks of your life. They won't see dog squat in a box from my way ever again. My apologies for my rant, it had to be done... :good:

I had to pull out my hex editors and what-nots to manually recover my data, connect with Adobe and the other licensing entities for my various software products as well as commit roughly two weeks to getting everything re-installed and configured all while trying to prep for a rushed entrance into college. There were allot of sleepless nights spent catching up and now it is back to the drawing board as SP1 screw-barred my stuff, so I must either re-install Windows 7 and retry the update to SP1 or install Windows 7 SP1 and cross my fingers that I don't run into the "invalid product key crap" that has been known to happen in situations like this in the past with Windows (and I am not referencing cracks and that sort of contrite nonsense).

Want to know why systems administration jobs are always available re-read this post.

Don't download stuff you do not absolutely need. Don't trust a trusted site for crap and don not trust a 3rd party entity just because of association because you will get had -- you can believe what you want -- it's your life enjoy! If you do test software for what ever reason it might be in your best interest to create a testing environment with virtualization technology and test in a sand box keeping the impact on your native host system (your O.S. on the HDD you boot into without including virtual boot-loaders; etc.) minimal and easily negotiated. FreeWareFan is quite accurate in his minimalist system assertion as viruses have more places to hide on deep systems, but sometimes you have to maintain deeper systems so isolation becomes an issue of paramount importance and that ends class for today good children. God bless all of you and keep plugging away -- this crap will come around for you eventually.

"Stay away from the danger zone..."
    MadTV : Stewart

#12 FreeWareFan

Gold Poster!

• Advanced Member
    • 95 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 08:43 PM

View Postmarko, on 22 August 2011 - 09:48 AM, said:

While I would reiterate that it is most admirable FF, I still think it's defintely not a good idea to run without antivirus software - bugs and viruses can come from anywhere these days, even websites you may decide to visit - I've seen some sites that were abandoned by developers turn into virused holes, sites that I would myself frequent, but after a developer has done with them, others take them over because of the status and ranking and attempt to churn out all manner of garbage.
      For now, I don't trust fairy tales that tells AV vendors. "You are in dangerous Internet", "You can be infected by any site", "You can be infected by exploits in Java Script" and other they tells me. Don't trust them. :good: They need to sell own products by scaring unprepared user.
      All you need - keep up to date you OS and Browsers and plugins(Adobe Flash, Sun Java, iTunes, etc).
      I'm prefer Firefox. To get more protection user can install NoScript add-on, and allow JavaScript only to trusted domains.

It's way far too easy to contract a virus and more worrying is the fact that if you did, you may not even know about it - I would certainly recommend at least installing one, if nothing else to just give your PC a good scanning then even remove it once you have a clean bill of health (if you really don't want one installed permanantly).
      No-no, I'm controlling all of my PC. :bye:
      I'm controlling my autorun locations by free portable tool OSAM.
      Sometimes I'm scanning my PC by free multivendor scanner Hitman Pro. And always got no viruses, rootkits and bootkits.

Is there any particular reason why you choose not to install one by the way?.

My reasons:
      1) I'm really don't need such type of software. :bye: All I need - virustotal for untrusted suspicious files. Only firewall for control network activity.
      2) Any AV-software slows down system perfomance and can make the system unstable( AV's SSDT hooks can make BSODs for example).

That position only for me - I don't recommend it to anyone. :good:
      For my friends, that not so knowledged as me I'm installing free AVs - MSE or Avira.

#13 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
      • 12,955 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:51 PM

Well, kudos to you FF for having the bottle to run without antivirus mate, whatever your reasons - it is entirely possible I know, but a little too much like Russian Roulette for my liking. I personally have never had a problem with Avast antivirus slowing down my machine or causing any other kind of problem if I'm honest, none more than windows would do anyway with it's load of bloat, Norton did years ago, but then again, it's Norton!! :good:

#14 GrayWolf

New Poster!

• Members
        • 6 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 01:20 PM

One day, just after logging into facebook and going to an app., my desktop got nailed with two viruses at once! However, I could still get into some data files and pictures that were important, but I never had a CD to copy them over onto, so a friend said he would do that for me. That was the very first and last time I let someone into my computer because, after going to see how he was doing, I saw that he was running a scandisk program he had gotten from someone. I freaked out and told him to stop, but it was too late. :angry: My laptop couldn't boot up anymore, so I lost everything!! Now I am using an older laptop, which works really well, but I can never get back what I lost. :( My desktop still sits in a corner with no hard drive because I can't afford to get one for it.
          However, I'm happy with my old laptop that was donated to me. :) Now I save important things on CD.

#15 FreeWareFan

Gold Poster!

• Advanced Member
          • 95 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 08:09 PM

View PostGrayWolf, on 20 September 2011 - 01:20 PM, said:

One day, just after logging into facebook and going to an app., my desktop got nailed with two viruses at once!
            It is impossible, I think it was a "phishing" page. :)

#16 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
            • 12,955 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 08:14 PM

View PostFreeWareFan, on 20 September 2011 - 08:09 PM, said:

It is impossible, I think it was a "phishing" page. :)
              There have been quite a few scams around on Facebook, particularly dealing with the "apps"