The Safe Free Download Site

Why not become a full member?, it's fast, free and allows you to participate in our forums and add or comment on our free software, leave reviews, access unlimited free downloads and more! - we NEVER share your details with anyone else, that's a promise! ... REGISTER FREE TODAY

");

Beware downloading from CNET Download.com!!

25 replies to this topic

#1 James (Jim) Hillier

Platinum Poster!

• Super Mod
  • 881 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 02:20 AM

To discover why you should you beware downloading from CNET Download.com, read the recently published article on Daves Computer Tips Blog...here is an excerpt:

We have recently been discussing the pros and cons of bundling extras with downloaded software, and freeware in particular. Nobody appreciates this somewhat nefarious practice but CNET Download.com has taken it to a whole new level!

It doesn?t matter what you download from Download.com, it will come down with additional material in tow....................

Read the article in full HERE.

Jim Hillier - Managing editor Daves Computer Tips.com

#2 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
    • 25,454 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:48 AM

This is absolutely appalling Jim, really it is ... they are abusing the fact they have so many people downloading from them, cashing in, selling out, call it what you want, but I've had my eye on D.com for quite some time now, one of the reasons I actually started freewarebb was because of download sites like d.com - hopefully downloaders will see sense and use their feet to show their dissapointment :)
      Please remember that we have people from many different timezones on the site and if your post requires a reply it could take longer at some at some points because of this.

Forums
      New Freeware on the site
      Updated Freeware on the site
      RSS Subscribe
      Report bad freeware here

#3 PCRacer

Platinum Poster!

• Developer
      • 140 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:07 AM

I have already deleted their button-download images and links from my website. :good:

I was never informed that they were wrapping their marketing promotions over my installshields and software applications. :scratch_one-s_head: :)

They will never see me again on their website!!! :D
        If you don't like it, don't use it or blame me for it!

#4 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
        • 25,454 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:19 AM

Good on you Henk, hopefully more developers will follow suit :)
          Please remember that we have people from many different timezones on the site and if your post requires a reply it could take longer at some at some points because of this.

Forums
          New Freeware on the site
          RSS Subscribe
          Report bad freeware here

#5 James (Jim) Hillier

Platinum Poster!

• Super Mod
          • 881 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 03:20 PM

This is absolutely appalling Jim, really it is...
            I agree 100% mate, as I'm sure any right thinking person would.

hopefully downloaders will see sense and use their feet to show their disappointment
            Too right mate, downloaders have the numbers and numbers means power. If enough people follow suit CNET will get the message, whether or not they would recover from the damage is another matter.

And I reiterate your praise for Henk: Good on you indeed Henk!! Much kudos. :) :good:

#6 jazee

Advanced Poster!

• Advanced Member
            • 18 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 07:58 PM

What really annoys me is how a lot of people will hang on to every word from download.com regardless of what they do. This will be the same, no matter what download.com do they will always have their band of merry followers who are convinved they are the best download site and have the downloaders interests at heart - I've seen download.com PROMOTE downloads which have viruses in them :)

#7 James (Jim) Hillier

Platinum Poster!

• Super Mod
              • 881 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 10:17 PM

Agree 100% jazee. Download.com prove that size really does matter.

I've also seen them promote and host infected downloads. They have also, for many years, formed associations with certain software developers/products which create serious conflicts of interest and lead them to produce biased reviews and articles.

One security related product in particular recently went through a protracted rough patch, and during that time, when every other reviewer on the planet was roundly criticizing the software, CNET continued to sing its praises. Lets' face it, who in their right mind is going to bite the hand that feeds them!!

#8 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
                • 25,454 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:22 PM

You know it's been a while since I visited tucows as well, but I was looking for an updated copy of MP3 Tag Cool after the developers site had been adandoned, a quick google of "MP3 Tag Cool" and tucows were first on the list - imagine my surprise then when the file downloaded as "TucowsDLM_Mp3TagCoolSetup.exe" and then .....

Attached Image: 21-09-2011 21-18-54.png

Attached Image: 21-09-2011 21-19-06.png

:scratch_one-s_head: Yep, even they're at it now, integrated installers for their downloads!!!

What is going on with this lot???

Forums
                  New Freeware on the site
                  RSS Subscribe
                  Report bad freeware here

#9 Guest_tim_*

• Guests

Posted 23 September 2011 - 06:03 PM

They're all at it if you ask me. If its not one thing its another :girl_cray2:

#10 PCRacer

Platinum Poster!

• Developer
                  • 140 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 01:20 PM

The software economy must be worse than we thought. :sarcastic:

All these freeware must be taking its toll on the software companies. :good:

I saw somewhere that Ashampoo is now selling their office software for $5, it used to be between $60-$79. :crazy:

The consumers/public are voting with their mice i guess. :sarcastic: :crazy:
                    If you don't like it, don't use it or blame me for it!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Alexa