The Safe Free Download Site

Why not become a full member?, it's fast, free and allows you to participate in our forums and add or comment on our free software, leave reviews, access unlimited free downloads and more! - we NEVER share your details with anyone else, that's a promise! ... REGISTER FREE TODAY

");

Your desktop, cluttered or clean?

desktop cluttered clean

8 replies to this topic
"); //]]>

Poll: Your desktop, cluttered or clean? (25 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you keep your desktop clean or does anything go!?

1. Nothing at all on there apart from my desktop background (5 votes [20.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

2. I keep the bare minimum I can get away with (11 votes [44.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 44.00%

3. I usually have a few extra bits and pieces scattered around the desktop (2 votes [8.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.00%

4. My desktop is a bit of a mess but I'll clean it up now and again (7 votes [28.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.00%

5. I rarely bother about what's on my desktop, it's a bit of a minefield! (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
  • 25,373 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 03:14 PM

I'm really one of those 'retentive' people when it comes to desktop clutter, I absolutely hate it - I rarely allow any software to create a desktop icon and usually delete or move most folders and files somewhere else.

How about you?
    Feel free to include a screenshot of your desktop as well :good: here's mine at the moment which is really only the built in themes from Windows 7 .. it's the Australian theme which makes me feel a little better considering I'm in rainy Scotland - Jimbo, I swear, you better not post a view from your window or I'll scream with envy!!!

Attached Image: Untitled.png

#2 dstrout

Advanced Member!

• Developer
    • 48 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 08:42 PM

I am a 1000% neat freak when it comes to my computer desktop. (My real desk top is another story, let's stick to the computer desktop :)). There are literally no icons on it. I sometimes have the Computer icon on it in the top left corner, but nothing else. It bothers me to no end when someone has a desktop with more icons visible than desktop. My grandfather is a perfect example of this. He had to shrink his desktop icons because he had so many of them. I wish those people would just clean some (most?) of them off; how can they even find the one they are looking for? What also bothers me is a super cluttered Windows notification area (far right of the taskbar). It means they have far too many programs running in the background.

I would post a screenshot, but you already know my desktop is empty, and my desktop background is on a rotation (the Windows 7 United States set of backgrounds).
      I'm a website developer from NH. Check out my site at dstrout.net!

#3 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
      • 25,373 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 08:48 PM

LOL, poor ole Grandad!! I'm actually in the process of cleaning my dads friends machine, literally hoaching with icons and toolbars - was actually that very thing which got me thinking about how tidy (or untidy) everyone else keeps their desktop!!

#4 TheRaven

Gold Poster!

• Advanced Member
        • 74 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 04:06 AM

I get into a research fit and everything goes right to my desktop. Stuff piles up quickly when I'm chasing down information and software, but eventually I come to recognize in order in what I'm doing and begin the organization of all my stuff.

My desktop gets juggled between minefield and bare minimum and it's a habit that's a decade old so it's kind of hard to break. I have learned allot from this types of management that seems to carry over when I dabble in web design so there is something there in the details and not necessarily the devil -- more like the silver lining.

Dstrout nailed it on the head as my computer is the most uncluttered area virtually speaking in my general area -- it would appear that a tornado touched down around my p.c. --- but it is odd how I still know what is in that pile of envelopes in the corner. It's really kind of strange when you think about until you pontificate how good our minds can be at remembering details that matter to us most.

It's been awhile Dstrout, how are ye?
          "Stay away from the danger zone..."
          MadTV : Stewart

#5 BobC

Advanced Poster!

• Advanced Member
          • 14 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:13 AM

I keep stuff on my desktop that I regularly use. I use folders to group "like stuff" so it is easy to find. For example, I have a Downloads folder to store downloads. Since I have two very old lap-tops (donated as the kids bought new) and my desktop, plus I have both Windows and Ubuntu installed on one lap-top and my desktop, it makes it easier to keep track of stuff. If I download a Linux file to Windows, I can get at it from Linux. I also use Dropbox (and plan on using Skydrive). I have folders for "tools", "viewers" (Adobe, VLC, picture viewers, etc.). I have other folders for other stuff too. This keeps the number of icons on the desktop to a minimum and I don't have to scan a long list of stuff to find what I want. In addition, not everything shows up in the Ubuntu Application menus - I have to create a desktop icon and then move it into a folder. Likewise with Windows - I go to the folder and find the app, create a desktop shortcut and then store it in the appropriate folder (some apps do not create desktop icons). Same with WINE (I keep a WINE folder on the desktop plus a WINEAPPS folder for those apps that allow me to install in my directory rather than cluttering up "Program Files".

#6 PCRacer

Platinum Poster!

• Developer
            • 139 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:38 AM

I just love a nice and clean desktop, and it must always have a nice wallpaper. :greeting:
              If you don't like it, don't use it or blame me for it!

#7 James (Jim) Hillier

Platinum Poster!

• Super Mod
              • 843 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:07 PM

I also maintain an extremely minimal desktop, 3 shortcuts and that's it. In complete contradiction, my actual desktop (that is, the top of my desk) is an absolute mess...looks like a hurricane just went through.

I know one lady who plonks everything (and I do mean everything) on her desktop. The reason: because if she puts her stuff anywhere other than the desktop, she can't find it!! LOL
                Jim Hillier - Managing editor Daves Computer Tips.com

#8 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
                • 25,373 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:45 PM

View PostJames (Jim) Hillier, on 08 September 2011 - 08:07 PM, said:

I know one lady who plonks everything (and I do mean everything) on her desktop. The reason: because if she puts her stuff anywhere other than the desktop, she can't find it!! LOL
                  Wouldn't be "the wife" by any chance Jimbo :girl_angel:

#9 James (Jim) Hillier

Platinum Poster!

• Super Mod
                  • 843 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 10:34 AM

Wouldn't be "the wife" by any chance Jimbo
                    LOL. No mate, she who must be obeyed isn't even advanced enough to know how to plonk anything on her desktop!!! :rolleyes: :dash2:
                    Jim Hillier - Managing editor Daves Computer Tips.com