- Windows 8 will be very much a hybrid operating system with the traditional desktop environment relegated to a secondary position and the primary interface resembling that of mobile devices ? such as the iPad.
- The emphasis will accordingly shift away from traditional desktop programs in favor of lightweight web style apps.
- With a more touch screen orientated interface across the board, touch screen technology will play a much bigger role.
One can understand why Microsoft would be adopting this approach though, their primary consideration always has been and always will be all about profits and they are obviously feeling threatened by the burgeoning popularity of mobile devices in general, and Apple in particular. Plus, failure to take advantage of the younger generation?s predilection for mobile computing could be viewed as financial folly.
Microsoft is also insisting that touch screen technology is an absolute must, and while that may well be true for mobile devices, how is that going to enhance my desktop experience? It?s fine for hand held devices with a relatively small viewing area but with my 24? monitor sitting almost 2 feet from where I work??
Yes, one can still choose to utilize the good old keyboard and mouse but am I then paying for something which I am never going to use and never even wanted in the first place? Plus is Microsoft going to subsidize the purchase of my new touch screen enabled monitor? I don?t think so!!
And that my friends is my biggest gripe ? the cost. Windows 8 is reportedly scheduled for official release some time in 2012, barely 3 years after Windows 7 hit the shelves. It feels like I only just forked out for Windows 7 and now the new operating system is just around the corner. And new versions of Windows have not tended to get cheaper each time! I am all for progress but I sincerely hope Microsoft is not going to continue with its recent release policy:
- Windows Vista ? January 2007
- Windows 7 ? October 2009
- Windows 8 ? Some time in 2012
- Windows 9 ? ????
Well, I?m not so sure!