Welcome to FreewareBB Downloads

Why not become a full member?, it's fast, free and allows you to participate in our forums and add or comment on our free software, leave reviews, access unlimited downloads and more! - we NEVER share your details with anyone else, that's a promise! ... REGISTER FREE TODAY

");

No sim card installed problem on iPhone

no sim installed iphone

7 replies to this topic

#1 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 11:09 AM

The error that some people receive telling them they have "no sim card installed" isn't really anything new. It's been around probably since the iPhone was released in it's earliest format. Trouble is, there is rarely an easy solution to the problem.

I've experienced this myself with my own iPhone, some days it's not as bad as others, but recently it's been happening more often.

Most threads on the internet explain it's an actual problem with the iPhone itself and recommend restoring the iPhone to factory defaults whereas some explain it has to be taken back to an Apple shop for them to fix. Recently though, I did come across an interesting discussion which concluded the issue could likely be coming from the signal strength to the iPhone. If you live in an area which has a relatively poor mobile signal, do you get the "no sim installed" error message - does it happen if you are somewhere with a great signal?.

I've never really noticed a problem with my signal, although interestingly enough just today I DID notice my signal strength was particularly weak, weaker than usual, and guess what? .... I got the "no sim installed" error message again.

What I read from other threads on the net was to perform a manual reset of the iPhone, which involves pressing and holding the power button at the top of the iPhone and when the screen shows the slider to shut off don't do that but continue holding the power button and then press and hold the "home" button as well until the screen goes black. The iPhone has now powered down completely and when you power it back up again it should have performed a manual reset. Check your signal strength and keep an eye on it - if the signal is good but you still get the "no sim installed" message it would look like a trip to your nearest Apple store, if not, continue to monitor the strength and if you notice the error at some point try figuring if the signal in that area is particularly weak.

It's quite possible I've been duped into thinking this could be the problem, but I've tried figuring everything else and followed many recommendations and nothing has worked. So far, this has, and since performing the manual reset I've not noticed an issue with either the signal or the "no sim installed" error message!!.

Something I have wondered about though, is if I were to take the iPhone back to an Apple store, given the iPhone is now out of warrenty, I wonder if they would replace the iPhone free of charge or whether I'd be looking at the cost of a replacement?!. If anyone knows the answer to that one, I'd love to know :)

Here's hoping for now though :)

#2 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
    • 1,664 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 11:49 AM

Well, we can sack that idea, just got another "No SIM card installed" error and the signal seemed OK immediately before it!!

Back to the drawing board for this one :dash2:

#3 James (Jim) Hillier

Platinum Poster!

• Super Mod
      • 713 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 12:06 PM

Us poor people don't have to worry about such intricacies in our lives Marko!! LOL

Truth be known, I am familiar with how to ring out and accept calls on my cellphone but that's about it!! It's one area of modern electronics where I truly fall into the T-Rex category...an iPhone would surely be wasted on me!
        Jim Hillier - Freeware editor Daves Computer Tips.com

#4 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
        • 1,664 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 12:15 PM

:lol: Us poor people indeed :P
          Well, I was much the same Jim, couldn't really see the attraction of it all, I actually developed a bit of a hatred for mobile phones when I spent 6 years as a field engineer and had a phone constantly strapped to my ear - when I was laid off from that job I would have been happy to never see another mobile phone, then a few trips here and a few trips there and before I knew it I'd missed mail, post's on the site and a whole load of other stuff and my son suggested I get myself an iPhone so I could keep up-to-date on everything. I did, and I must admit it was probably the single most worthy investment I ever made, until I started getting this nonsense with the no sim - if it continues I'm booking an appointment with the Apple store and I won't be best pleased if they tell me I'll have to pay for it cause it's a massive issue globally, there are literally hundreds of thousands of post's about this issue and Apple are quite obviously not releasing details on what the exact cause is, they would much prefer to have people in their stores so they can charge them - obviously if it's in warrenty that's different, but if it's not, then it'll no doubt cost - I've even been on the apple website but there are no concrete solutions there, just a whole load of try this and try that!!.

And here was me thinking Microsoft were the only one's to release botched products!!

#5 James (Jim) Hillier

Platinum Poster!

• Super Mod
          • 713 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 12:59 PM

I'm hearing you mate. I wish cellphones had been around when I was running my own business!!

My eldest son owns and runs a corporate empire...I kid you not!! He absolutely swears by his iPhone and iPad. He is forever traveling by plane all over the place and the devices keep him in touch with the businesses, his office and computer.

Me, I've just got a little ol' laptop!! LOL
            Jim Hillier - Freeware editor Daves Computer Tips.com

#6 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
            • 1,664 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 05:18 PM

Think Apple quickly realised they were appealing mostly to the business people, and so were even quicker to readjust their advertising strategy to appeal to a wider audience, same as Blackberry - like everything though, they're great when they are working, but just another pain in the a** when they're not!!

#7 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
              • 1,664 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 07:17 AM

Well, a while later and having done nothing more with the iPhone it would appear the problem has resolved itself which can only mean the issue is being caused by something outwith my control, such as the signal!!. This is the only thing I can put it down to, although it is a common error and Apple don't seem to be keen on saying so it's really the only thing I can put this down to.

Obviously, because I don't have the issue anymore I'm guessing the signal has somehow improved in our area - maybe the carrier has boosted their signal ?? Guessing here, but hey if it works now we can't fix it right!! :crazy:

#8 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
                • 1,664 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 08:59 AM

Well a few weeks later and I'm convinced that it is a signal problem with the carrier network, noticed the problem reappear in the house, restarted the phone half a dozen times and no luck - then out and about in a different area and what you know, works great again with a full signal!!

If it continues I may consider trying to change networks, but I guess until it becomes a constant pain I'll grin and bear it for now :)

Anyone having this issue, consider where the problem happens most, at home, at work, at a friends or relatives house?. If the problem reoccurs around the same area, I'd put money on it that it's the signal strength causing the issue :good:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users