The Safe Free Download Site

Why not become a full member?, it's fast, free and allows you to participate in our forums and add or comment on our free software, leave reviews, access unlimited free downloads and more! - we NEVER share your details with anyone else, that's a promise! ... REGISTER FREE TODAY

");

Should ant-virus vendors collaborate rather than compete?

3 replies to this topic

#1 James (Jim) Hillier

Platinum Poster!

• Super Mod
  • 836 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 12:11 AM

There is no doubt the threat landscape has altered significantly over the past decade. Gone are the days when young adventurists circulated simple malicious scripts just to gain attention, or even notoriety. Cybercrime is now big business; well organized and highly efficient.

Security software developers are battling a proliferating cybercrime industry and the costs involved are expanding exponentially. Most are looking to the Cloud for salvation but while harnessing resources from myriads of users is obviously going to help, they are still tackling the issue from a fragmented standpoint.

In order to combat what is a growing and essentially unified threat, surely it would make more sense for the security companies to also collaborate, and combine all their resources into one massive global cloud database. Competition would still be maintained per medium of exclusive client side (or device-based) elements with a greatly enhanced cloud component common to all.

It seems anti-virus vendors are in complete agreement that cloud computing can be harnessed to provide enhanced heuristic protection, real-time protection and reduce overall costs. The problem is they are all currently involved in a ?my database is bigger than yours? type contest. If they could put aside their competitive natures and form a unified front to fight the common enemy, it may well benefit everyone in the long run?or is my head just too far in the clouds?

Jim Hillier - Managing editor Daves Computer Tips.com

#2 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
    • 12,954 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:18 AM

Although from an end-users perspective Jim, this would be a superb idea, I think it's unlikely the vendors will join forces in this way. Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised at all if most of the antivirus developers actually already keep a close eye on each others definition databases to make sure they're not missing out on anything so although an open collaboration would be welcomed by most users, it's quite probable that this already happens, it's just that they don't let on it happens :)

#3 James (Jim) Hillier

Platinum Poster!

• Super Mod
      • 836 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 08:13 AM

I think it's unlikely the vendors will join forces in this way.
        So do I mate, that was kinda the point really. :)

I wouldn't be surprised at all if most of the antivirus developers actually already keep a close eye on each others definition databases
        Yep, but cloud databases are very different to a definition data base mate...they are more along the lines of heuristic (behavior based).

I agree Marko, tiz very unlikely to happen. The vendors will keep on fighting their individual little battles instead of joining forces and actually making an impact.
        Jim Hillier - Managing editor Daves Computer Tips.com

#4 FreeWareFan

Gold Poster!

• Advanced Member
        • 95 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 12:27 PM

It is impossible just because 1 thing - all AV's CEO want to buy new Bentley every week(or day). Sad, but true. :)
          They don't thinks about end user, only about best marketing, promo and etc.
          I have heard that most of AV vendors keeps on work much more managers, than programmers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users