"); //]]>
");

Misleading and dodgy installers that trick you into installing additional software

tricks addons misleading developers software

32 replies to this topic

#11 Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:12 AM

Power Bank, I almost forgot. Some of those sites stated that I needed to install Adobe Flash Player,,which is already installed.
    Again, I think it's best to avoid them. Just my opinion.

#12 James (Jim) Hillier

James (Jim) Hillier

Platinum Poster!

• Super Mod
    • 1,132 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:21 AM

Hey Power Bank - In most cases a reputable site advisory service will give you a good indication - something like WOT for example. If the site is rated Green by WOT then it would be near certain to be safe, and that goes for any associated plug-ins also.

Most of that type message involve either Microsoft Silverlight or one of the Adobe multimedia players - flash player or shockwave player. In most cases you are not missing out on much if you are unable to view the little associated video - nothing lost really.

But all the aforementioned plug-ins are legitimate and safe, if you want to view the additional video content just utilize something like WOT to rate the site's safety for you.

Cheers... Jim
      Jim Hillier - Managing editor Daves Computer Tips.com

#13 marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
      • 26,367 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:26 AM

good advice from everyone here ... I usually advice people to use their gut feeling, for example, if you're computer has been running happily for a year or so and all of a sudden you are prompted to download and install something to view content, chances are you are about to be had. The possibility of you never having came across adobe flash, silverlight or some other plug-in in that space of time is pretty slim, unless of course, you have never watched a video or came across a site with advanced graphics or animation - but as I say if your computer has been online for a while, it generally should more or less have everything it needs.

If you are unsure about a plugin, grab the name of the plug, and google it, choosing to install whichever plugin you need to directly from the developers site. It's been known for some less reputable sites to prompt you to install "adobe flash" when what they actually want you to do is install their plugin so they can either take control of your computer or do something else particularly nasty. If you go straight to the developers own website and install what you need and YOU STILL get prompted on another website to install much the same thing I'd say walk away from that website.

Please remember that we have people from many different timezones on the site and if your post requires a reply it could take longer at some at some points because of this.

Forums
        New Freeware on the site
        Updated Freeware on the site
        RSS Subscribe
        Report bad freeware here

#14 Power Bank

Power Bank

Advanced Poster!

• Advanced Member
        • 16 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:41 AM

Thnx for your observations guys.

I like Marko's idea of going to the original developer's website, like Adobe.

I have noticed my new FFoxsearches out some plugins that I donot know about, automatically. It will download a plugin but will keep it quietly marked as "Disabled" I then browse through my installed ADDons and enable them.

I used to have WOT on my FFox but sincemoving from XP to W7, I have not reinstalled it. It was a great tool most of the time and I will reinstal it now.Thnx for the WOT reminder Jim.

Power Bank

#15 marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
          • 26,367 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:54 AM

Since our Jimbo introduced me to LinkExtend some time ago, that's normally the first addon I install on my FireFox - certainly does no harm to have the WOT or SiteAdvisor plugin as extra, instant protection but it's normally advisable to view what other site advisories are saying too, and LinkExtend allows you to view 5 or 6 of the advisories at the same time making it a balanced overview :)

Please remember that we have people from many different timezones on the site and if your post requires a reply it could take longer at some at some points because of this.

Forums
            New Freeware on the site
            Updated Freeware on the site
            RSS Subscribe
            Report bad freeware here

#16 sierkahn

sierkahn

Advanced Poster!

• Advanced Member
            • 15 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:41 PM

I get ticked at CNET. I downloaded a file there yesterday and in order to get the file installed they wanted me to use their installer IQ. I don't want to use it but to get the software you have to. I use REVO uninstaller and try to get rid of all the junk. Even so it doesn't always work, some toolbars don't leave anything for the uninstaller to find. But they sure show up on my browser.

#17 Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
              • 1,072 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:51 PM

sierkahn, that was one of the main reasons why I stopped even looking into Cnet and their Download. com crap. Trust me, there isn't anything decent there that you can't get here. All my friends have now switched to getting all their freeware from FBB.
                On a personal note, did you like The Jungle Book?? :)

#18 sierkahn

sierkahn

Advanced Poster!

• Advanced Member
                • 15 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:06 PM

Jungle Book????:unknown:

#19 JoninOz

JoninOz

Advanced Member!

• Advanced Member
                  • 36 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:36 AM

A friend recently updated Incredimail and it was bundled with the 'Ask' toolbar which created havoc, and it is difficult to eliminate using ageneral uninstall programme.

#20 Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
                    • 1,072 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:35 PM

Yea, my 3 yr. old daughter likes that movie and the evil tiger has the same name. LOL.