The Safe Free Download Site

Why not become a full member?, it's fast, free and allows you to participate in our forums and add or comment on our free software, leave reviews, access unlimited free downloads and more! - we NEVER share your details with anyone else, that's a promise! ... REGISTER FREE TODAY

");

hi - and two questions

introduction

4 replies to this topic

#1 sfreiman

New Poster!

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:47 AM

For all the time I spend on the Internet, it's surprising there's so much I don't know. I find technology daunting.

Two questions.

First, what does "BB" stand for?

Second, I can't download MP3 files or ebooks from Amazon, Barnes and Noble, iTunes to my computer because I live in Israel. I assume that's because of licensing problems, not an exaggerated anti-Semitism. I'm willing to pay for the files, but I still can't download here. Any suggestions?

Which reminds me of a third question: When I buy DVDs, they sometimes come for a region which is incompatible and I can't open them. Is there a program out there which can convert my DVDs to a universal format? And how does the DVD know where I am, or is it something in my computer which restricts the region?

Thanks in advance -

Susan

#2 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
    • 12,943 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:12 AM

Hi Susan, to answer your first question, "BB" stands for Bulletin Board, thats how we originally offered downloads, through our forum area - bulletin board is really just another word for "forums". As for playing DVD's, yes, I assume your DVD will be set to your specific region and so buying DVDs from oversea's may not operate correctly - there are a few freeware programs around to help with this but I am away from home this week and have limited internet connection via an iPhone so I'm not in the best position to assist you I'm afraid. Hopefully others will chip in as and when they can :)

#3 FreeWareFan

Gold Poster!

• Advanced Member
      • 91 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:07 AM

As for third question, you can use free DVDFab HD Decrypter

#4 James (Jim) Hillier

Platinum Poster!

• Super Mod
        • 833 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:32 PM

Hi Susan - As FreeWareFan has said, DVDFab HD Decrypter will do the job. But it is a tad overkill just to remove region code protection - it also includes a feature to copy DVD and Blu-ray discs to the hard drive, which all adds up to a 13.3MB download.

A very simple solution, and one which is fully automatic, is DVD43 - download HERE. DVD43 works in the background without any need for user interaction. It is also a small download - 555.57KB.

Cheers...Jim
          Jim Hillier - Managing editor Daves Computer Tips.com

#5 sfreiman

New Poster!

• Members
          • 2 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:19 AM

A very big thank you for your help -

Susan