Get new downloads in your inbox each morning

If you want to be kept up to date on the latest downloads added to the site each day through your email, just pop your email address into our daily downloads service HERE.

"); //]]>
");

Students not interested in IT anymore

information technology students

2 replies to this topic

#1 marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
  • 25,934 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:46 PM

The number of students opting to take IT courses at GCSE level has apparently almost halfed since 2006, from over 109,000 to around 61,000. An executive for the Recruitment and Employment Federation (REC) stated "If we don't act soon, we won't have any IT candidates at all" which, if I'm honest, doesn't surprise me.

As a former IT consultant I saw a worrying change brewing. Basically, I joined a company in 2001 called EDS (Electronic Data Systems) - at the time they were undoubtedly one of the largest IT companies in the world with employees in most countries and offices all across the world. Things were great back then, work was aplenty, and the rewards for doing your work well were good, well allegedly so anyway, I never saw any "rewards" but I was assured they would come.

The contract I worked on was swamped with contractors who were clawing in something silly like 40 per hour, then a few years later they were brought down to half that amount and a few years later things became even tighter. As with all relatively new niches, the IT industry had saw it's peak as more and more people flocked to it and so the supply outweighed the demand.

As things began getting tighter, companies like EDS started looking at ways they could cut costs, and so most contractors were given the ole heave-ho and us "permies" were given even more work to cover. Then an influx of "newbies", all bright eyed and bushy tailed emerged, with most eager to work overtime (without pay) and drive the length and breadth of the country whilst us family guys became caught up in the whirlwind that was. Before we knew what was happening, wages were frozen, the cost of living was rising and most of us realised the sinking ship was going down fast. Those of us who had years of experience and didn't need to work from manual's became frustrated with the freeze in pay and our budgets were squeezed even tighter.

Eventually things came to a head and with the possibility of voluntary redundancy round the corner, most of the established and long term employee's made the difficult decision to move on and volunteer for the attractive redundancy package.

A few years later, EDS went under, taking a whole load of those newbies with it - now owned by HP, I have littel contact with those guys I used to work with so I've absolutely no idea how things transpired, but it's obvious to me that as the market became saturated with IT graduates who would work for a fraction of the cost us professionals would work for, it was to be the demise of both the industry and the company with one failed project after another due to the inexperience of those graduates. Now, the same job I was doing when it ended in 2007 is advertised at a fraction of the salary ... and they wonder why school leavers are no longer interested in becoming IT professionals!!. Hardly takes a rocket scientist to work that one out - a bus driver now earns more than I did in 2007 :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
    Please remember that we have people from many different timezones on the site and if your post requires a reply it could take longer at some at some points because of this.

Forums
    New Freeware on the site
    Updated Freeware on the site
    RSS Subscribe
    Report bad freeware here

#2 google

google

Gold Poster!

• Advanced Member
    • 52 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:40 PM

I just hope you weren't the person responsible for bringing down all those computers which were part of the Job Centre Plus network marko?

#3 marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
      • 25,934 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 05:20 PM

LOL, my word, you remember that? ... and thankfully, no, it wasn't me responsible for that, I did work on that project though (DWP) and was off on holiday that week (thankfully) - almost expected to be called in but alas they soldiered on without me :)
        Please remember that we have people from many different timezones on the site and if your post requires a reply it could take longer at some at some points because of this.

Forums
        New Freeware on the site
        Updated Freeware on the site
        RSS Subscribe
        Report bad freeware here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users