The Safe Free Download Site

Why not become a full member?, it's fast, free and allows you to participate in our forums and add or comment on our free software, leave reviews, access unlimited free downloads and more! - we NEVER share your details with anyone else, that's a promise! ... REGISTER FREE TODAY

");
- - - - -

GFI Backup Freeware Edition review

1 reply to this topic

#1 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
  • 12,924 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:59 PM

Developers Description
    When was the last time you backed-up all the important files on your hard disk? Do you have a backup of those precious photos taken on your last holiday, of your resume and other important documents? What about your music and movies? While everyone admits that backing up data is important, few actually do so - until it is too late and the damage is done.

Backing up your files is a must to minimize the risk of loss. With GFI BackUp 2011 - Freeware Edition, you need not worry if your hard disk fails or a virus wipes out your data.

GFI BackUp 2011 - Freeware Edition enables you to back up your important documents, photos, music, emails and program settings using a simple but smart wizard-driven interface to most popular storage devices (including local and external disk drives, LAN, CD/DVD, removable devices, remote FTP servers, etc.). Download and use GFI Backup Home Edition today ? a FREE easy-to-use backup software solution, designed for secure backups of all your important data. Because we care!

Features
    • Secure backup of all your important files for FREE
    • Easy-to-use wizard-driven interface ? perfect for beginners
    • Restore your data in minutes using common ZIP format
    • Back up to most popular storage devices
    • Fast, efficient, full-featured backup solution
    • Incremental, differential and stack backups

#2 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
    • 12,924 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 03:35 PM

GFI Backup Freeware Edition is truly one of those products that makes me glad to be involved with freeware. Sure it's a freeware version of a paid product, but the freeware version itself offers a whole load more than most of us could ever dream of using. Not only do we have local and remote backup options, but we have a wealth of backup options available to us - moreso than even some of the most expensive backup solutions currently on sale!.

When I kicked off a first backup with GFI Backup Freeware Edition, it took only a few minutes to work through the wizard though it took substantially more time to perform that actual backup to my network drive. Now, that's no reflection of GFI Backup, but moreso just further proof that the network drive I chose to buy is an inferior heap of junk, even if it was an Iomega network drive!!.

During the install you will be asked which version you wish to install - the obvious choice is the "freeware" version, and this let's you backup both to a local source, such as a second hard drive or DVD disc and a remote storage device such as external hard drive or, in my case, a network drive. You will also be prompted to enter the credentials for your computer which will later allow you to authenticate against your home network, if you have one, and even choose to backup all the computers within your workgroup!.

Attached Image: 01-freeware.png

Remember to allow GFI through your firewall too when prompted, otherwise you won't be able to see other machines on your network.

The console for GFI Backup is a web console, with lots of information and choices available although for simplicity I just chose to run a quick backup of my files and folders and the wizard made everything a simple as it could possibly be for a backup solution. I chose to run "Incremental Backups" for my backup job which will backup all the files and folders I chose and then only backup the one's that change thereafter meaning I'm not overloading the remote storage device with a load of duplicate backups.

Attached Image: 08-new-backup.png

Backups are not something that many of us can really get that excited about if I'm honest - they're usually the last thing most people think about performing because they can be quite laborious and it's often the case we have too many options or things go wrong, but I can honestly say that GFI Backup Freeware Edition changes all that. There are no complicated questions asked, no daunting menu's and no stupid restrictions found in this freeware version. It's really a fully functional, professional and complete backup solution and I'm struggling to figure out which additional features I would need in the paid version!??.

Attached Image: 10-backup-to-lan.png

I just hope that GFI don't have any plans to wip this from under the feet of us freeware users at some point in the future and turn it into a paid only product as it would be extremely dissapointing indeed to loose such a worthwhile and generous piece of freeware. For me, I'd have to score GFI Backup Freeware Edition something close to 10 out of 10 - a great product, very generous and an often sometimes difficult and tricky subject like backups turned simple !!