The Safe Free Download Site

Why not become a full member?, it's fast, free and allows you to participate in our forums and add or comment on our free software, leave reviews, access unlimited free downloads and more! - we NEVER share your details with anyone else, that's a promise! ... REGISTER FREE TODAY

");

SPK 3 back-up files

5 replies to this topic

#1 Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
  • 213 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:52 PM

While I'm still here , how can I find the spk3 uninstall files,,and is it ok to delete them? Running Win XP SPK3 on another computer and running very low on space!

#2 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
    • 12,934 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:49 PM

Clean up things firstly by going to Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Disk Cleanup and, in addition to the regular items, under ?More Options,? click the bottom button to remove all but the most recent restore point.

Then delete "C:\Windows\$NTServicePackUninstall"

If there is a large folder at "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download", that can be deleted also.

Check the SP3's temporary installation folder was removed. It will probably be wherever you downloaded the setup files (C:) and will be a long name, usually random characters - something like "C:\af74d61c43av". If you think you've found it, delete it.

You will also find a large folder called "C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles". Do not delete this ? it will be used by Windows File Protection ? but if your using NTFS file system (which most people probably are) you are able to compress it to save some disk space by "Right-clicking" it -> Select Properties -> Click the Advanced button -> Select Compress.

Finally, empty your recycle bin and you should see some space savings.

Alternatively, try using the download below which claims to do most of the above automatically - as I've never used it and do not currently have XP, it's something I can't verify so please do be careful with it.

Attached File xp_remove_hotfix_backup.zip 28.3K 7 downloads

#3 Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
      • 213 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:23 PM

Looks like I never have to go far or wait long for some REAL help! A lot of what I ask , I actually know,,but I think I've been hit in the head one too many times and just don't remember. I thank you again my friend!!!!

#4 FreeWareFan

Gold Poster!

• Advanced Member
        • 90 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:58 PM

Additionaly, you can use PureRA http://raproducts.org/wordpress/software

#5 Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
          • 213 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:37 PM

Thanks FreeWareFan,, I never heard of it until now.

#6 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
            • 12,934 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:39 PM

View PostFreeWareFan, on 17 November 2011 - 07:58 PM, said:

Additionaly, you can use PureRA http://raproducts.org/wordpress/software
              That's not a bad tool FF, will add it to the site when I have a little more time :)

... done!!! https://freewarebb.com/files/file/11273-purera/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users