Nigerian E-mail

30 replies to this topic

#1 Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:49 PM

I just can't figure out the purpose of all this Nigerian e-mail that my friends and I keep getting. I'm even getting e-mails from soldiers and attorneys . The best part of all is they all have $1,000,000 or more,,,JUST FOR ME!!!!!!!!!!! I may just go out and buy me a continent. OR TWO!!!!!

#2 James (Jim) Hillier

James (Jim) Hillier

Platinum Poster!

• Super Mod
    • 1,111 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:36 PM

Claw - Methinks you maybe need a new spam filtering system mate. You do seem to receive an inordinate number of scam emails.:)

Are you really receiving all these, or is this just a way of bringing the scams to the public's' attention? Or are you maybe posting 'tongue in cheek'?
      Jim Hillier - Managing editor Daves Computer Tips.com

#3 Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
      • 1,009 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:52 PM

I get them on my other e-mail that I keep for keeping in touch with friends and family I left behind. Now more to your answer,,I get Nigerian mail,,online pharmacy, and even something called Cheating Wives, almost every day. I've asked online about it and  even Yahoo Answers had a lot of responses to it,, at least I'm not the only one.If you know away I can stop it,,,PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!!!!

#4 Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
        • 1,009 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:01 AM

Jim,, if you want I can cut and paste you one of the subject titles,,I have two on there now,,Wives and Pharmacy????

#5 James (Jim) Hillier

James (Jim) Hillier

Platinum Poster!

• Super Mod
          • 1,111 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:17 AM

Hey Claw - There is only one sure way to stop the spam now, that is to change the email address. That, of course, is in itself a pain in the you know what!

Even if you go to the trouble of setting up a new email address, the spammers will catch up with it again eventually.

The only way to help prevent all this spam is to be very careful where, how and to who you reveal your email address in the first place. Never put an email address on any public platform. Whenever you forward emails make sure to cut all the extraneous information first, and make sure people on your emailing list, friends and family, do the same. Never reply to an email where do you not know the sender and never reveal your email address to anyone you are unsure of.

Even if you follow those guidelines, the spammers are probably still going to catch up with you in the end, but at least you will minimize the impact.

For now, seeing how you seem to be on everyone's spam list, if you want to stop all this...you will need to change your email address. Sorry, but that's the only way.

#6 Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
            • 1,009 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:16 PM

Thanks Jim. My wife is a school teacher and the school systems e-mail gets compromised at least twice a year. The school system pays massive money for their protection,,including an industrial version of AVG. (according to them). I was just wondering what does this type of e-mail do? Other than making you take the time to hit Delete All!!!!

#7 James (Jim) Hillier

James (Jim) Hillier

Platinum Poster!

• Super Mod
              • 1,111 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 12:07 AM

Hey Claw - A large majority of spam/scam emails have one of two objectives:

1) Extract money - for nothing in return.
                2) To learn more about the recipient's private details, either directly or by way of infecting the computer with spyware.

You'd be surprised at how many people do actually fall the scams. Innocent victims - with the emphasis on 'innocent'. :)

#8 marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
                • 26,291 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 06:26 PM

View PostClaw, on 18 November 2011 - 04:16 PM, said:

Thanks Jim. My wife is a school teacher and the school systems e-mail gets compromised at least twice a year. The school system pays massive money for their protection,,including an industrial version of AVG. (according to them). I was just wondering what does this type of e-mail do? Other than making you take the time to hit Delete All!!!!
                  They obviously have the wrong people looking after their systems then :bomb:

Please remember that we have people from many different timezones on the site and if your post requires a reply it could take longer at some at some points because of this.  

Forums
                  New Freeware on the site
                  Updated Freeware on the site
                  RSS Subscribe
                  Report bad freeware here

#9 Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
                  • 1,009 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 08:01 PM

Right , but it gives them a reason to spend all that money they don't pay the teachers!!!!

#10 Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
                    • 1,009 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:03 PM

Well the Nigerian e-mail has stopped,,Cheating Wives still there,,but just a few and a couple from a Barrister in England. But, other than that all is pretty calm,,,,just waiting for the next wave to start.