The Safe Free Download Site

Why not become a full member?, it's fast, free and allows you to participate in our forums and add or comment on our free software, leave reviews, access unlimited free downloads and more! - we NEVER share your details with anyone else, that's a promise! ... REGISTER FREE TODAY

");

Best Internet Browser 2011

best internet browser browser vote

10 replies to this topic
"); //]]>

Poll: Best Internet Browser 2011 (29 member(s) have cast votes)

Best Internet Browser 2011

1. Apple Safari (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Avant Browser (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Deepnet Explorer (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Google Chrome (4 votes [13.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.79%

5. Maxthon (1 votes [3.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.45%

6. Microsoft Internet Explorer (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Mozilla Firefox (18 votes [62.07%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 62.07%

8. Netscape Navigator (1 votes [3.45%] - View)

9. Opera (3 votes [10.34%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.34%

10. Pale Moon (0 votes [0.00%])

11. Slim Browser (1 votes [3.45%] - View)

12. SRWare Iron (0 votes [0.00%])

13. Other (Please Specify) (1 votes [3.45%] - View)

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
  • 12,862 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:04 PM

We've taken some of the most popular freeware internet browsers and listed them here - these will form part of our search for the best freeware of 2011 so please do vote carefully :)

#2 BigB

Advanced Poster!

• Advanced Member
    • 22 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:03 AM

Chromium until Firefox get's it self back in the game and release a stable, less resource intensive browser.

http://www.chromium.org/

Comodo Dragon is a sleeping dog and is quite the browser as well.

http://www.comodo.com/home/browsers-toolbars/browser.php

#3 FrancisV

Advanced Poster!

• Advanced Member
      • 12 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:25 AM

Browsers vote
        Currently my vote goes to Maxthon 2.5, because version 3.something has almost no Add-ins (and doesn't not recognize IE ones, which it should as it is based on it) and it's "Magic Fill" is still in a rump state compared to the one in 2.5. And since there is no LastPass available... The latter appears in 2.5's context menus but remains inactive though.

Otherwise I prefer the "Look 'n Feel" of the 3 version. Both are no memory hogs (compared to Chrome and FF, although, from 8.01 on the latter has bettered itself and this remains true for the 9 betas. FF was the best up until version 3.5 (or 6, I'm not sure) and I was a faithful user for years. So, if Maxthon 3 doesn't deliver, I might go back to FF!

@ BigB : Tried Dragon because I liked its security features, but it's not bettered the memory hog features of Chrome and I cannot live with that. I know I should buy some more memory (although that's not the full solution) but as I try to survive on a (too) small retirement allowance, I have... other priorities!

#4 BigB

Advanced Poster!

• Advanced Member
        • 22 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:20 PM

@ FrancisV. I too fail to see why an internet browser should be a memory hog. I recall using a browser on my Amiga 1200 and that had a massive 6MB of memory (I still use it in an emulator sometimes and the browser still works!).

There are a few browsers based on Chrome and all are about the same memory wise. If I could just "like" Opera then I would use that but there is just something about it which stops me using it full time. I think I have a tried every browser going and that includes on all platforms Windows, OS X, BSD, Linux and even Solaris and Chromium, for me at least, works the best on all of them.

#5 CraftyBill

New Poster!

• Members
          • 7 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:43 PM

I used to love Firefox until updates nullified my favorite add-ons. My vote now goes to Google chrome.

#6 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
            • 12,862 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:08 PM

Worryingly, I'm too beginning to wonder if FF is doing the right thing recently - the last update made me think twice about the future of the browser, I'm sure they'll get back on track but until then they're fast loosing my vote - I did vote for it this time though, maybe if we do the same next year it may be a different story!! :)

#7 DaComboMan

Advanced Member!

• Advanced Member
              • 34 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:53 PM

Too bad we couldn't have a runner up choice.
                I chose Opera on account of its recent Mail Client improvements.
                Firefox would still be my default.

#8 James (Jim) Hillier

Platinum Poster!

• Super Mod
                • 783 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:28 PM

@BigB

I too fail to see why an internet browser should be a memory hog. I recall using a browser on my Amiga 1200 and that had a massive 6MB of memory
                  LOL. I'd hazard a guess that it's because browsers have changed quite a lot since those days. A modern browser can be pretty much utilized as a stand-alone operating system, if one is prepared to rely solely on online apps. :)

I'm not voting on this one, simply because I find it impossible to make a definitive selection. Each browser has something different to offer and it really comes down to personal preferences. I would have voted for Firefox but I m finding v8 laggy and unresponsive - plus, the next version is just around the corner (as is the norm these days) and goodness knows what that will bring.

Chrome has some real pluses but Google's record in the privacy department leaves me unconvinced. In my opinion, SRWare Iron would be a far better choice.

I like Pale Moon too but it is purely Firefox based so tends to inherit the memory and latency issues associated with its sire.

For me at least, it's one for the too hard basket. :)
                  Jim Hillier - Freeware editor Daves Computer Tips.com

#9 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
                  • 12,862 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:40 PM

Interesting to see IE not even in the running despite having made a considerable attempt on the last few version numbers - possibly too little too late from MS and particularly where vulnerabilities could be concerned !!

Personally, for me, FF and Chrome are neck and neck, with the faster being Chrome but with the familiarity and comfort of FF they even themselves out. However, all it will take to sway me over to Chrome on a permanent basis is another upgrade, further decline in performance and another long wait for my favourite addons to catch up :)

Chrome seems never to be out of Beta and have more releases than most of us have hot dinners, but despite all this, they rarely seem to break anything, unlike FF which has crashed and burned for me a few times now!.

#10 jjj

Advanced Member!

• Advanced Member
                    • 46 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:43 PM

Chrome
                      & Chrome for my 2 yr old because she has few problems using it.
                      & a dozen extra votes for the members who just cant vote against an old favorite -FF-.