The Safe Free Download Site

Why not become a full member?, it's fast, free and allows you to participate in our forums and add or comment on our free software, leave reviews, access unlimited free downloads and more! - we NEVER share your details with anyone else, that's a promise! ... REGISTER FREE TODAY

");

Superantispyware update

35 replies to this topic

#21 James (Jim) Hillier

Platinum Poster!

• Super Mod
  • 903 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:34 PM

the free version of SAS didn't auto start, whereas the new version does
    No mate, that is not correct, nothing has changed. SAS Free has always been set to auto-start with Windows by default - it has always been necessary to go into "Preferences" and disable that setting. :)

Jim Hillier - Managing editor Daves Computer Tips.com

#22 Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
    • 374 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:19 PM

I don't know if it "IS" necessary,,but I've automaticlly went to "Preferences" and disabled the setting. I check that out on anything to make sure if I don't want it to run on start up or not.

#23 Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
      • 374 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:47 PM

Just to let you now ,,this mornining(here) about 30 min.ago I tried to scan my wifes computer with SAS and got an error report saying there was a problem , would I like to send a report! This came from SAS,,not Windows. It then prompted me to restart SAS,to which the samething happened repeatedly. I uninstalled,,will reinstall later. One note: product updated about 2-3 days ago,,this would have been the fist scan after updating. NEVER had a problem before on her computer!

#24 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
        • 25,532 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:08 PM

I would actually suggest contacting the developer on this one claw - something doesn't seem right here mate, and I've used SAS repeatedly over the past few months without any issues and I'm wondering if it's to do with something else you're installing?. Just grab the link from the product page, we've dealt with the developer before and he's a really approachable sort of guy so you'll get a reply no probs :)
          Please remember that we have people from many different timezones on the site and if your post requires a reply it could take longer at some at some points because of this.

Forums
          New Freeware on the site
          Updated Freeware on the site
          RSS Subscribe
          Report bad freeware here

#25 Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
          • 374 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:13 PM

Will do Marko,,! My wifes computer actually has very little on it,,CCleaner,,Word,,Mbam,,FF,,Auslogics defrag,SumatraPDF and MSE! The only reason SAS was there is because being a teacher,,there's alot of online research. The computer I'm on now has SAS,,but I put it on after the product update,,this is the most recent version. I'll try what you said,,it can only help! :scratch_one-s_head:

#26 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
            • 25,532 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:46 PM

Let us know if you get any joy claw, I'm sure you won't wait long for a reply from these guys, they're usually on the ball :)
              Please remember that we have people from many different timezones on the site and if your post requires a reply it could take longer at some at some points because of this.

Forums
              New Freeware on the site
              Updated Freeware on the site
              RSS Subscribe
              Report bad freeware here

#27 Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
              • 374 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:26 AM

Initial solution: uninstall then reinstall,after reinstallation restart Windows. It works, don't know why just that it has been happening but not widespread.
                Thanks for the heads-up Marko!!!! I really hope this issue is over,,I'm tired of writing about it!!!! :good:

#28 Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
                • 374 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:15 AM

I never got to get in touch with SAS,,a computer tech that a school administrator friend of mine knows told me what to do. He said he has got quite a few calls about the samething. He's still not really sure why it happens or why uninstall-reinstall-restart Windows works!!!! But he says he will let us know as soon as possible,,and he is contacting SAS when he is able. Now I am finished!!!! :good:

#29 Apokalipsys

Gold Poster!

• Advanced Member
                  • 50 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:27 AM

This is a joke, no offense. Just for fun... read this. It is a small reading about 10+ things support techs say (and what they really mean) from TechRepublic.I give this to my students every semester just to laugh and have some fun and to let them know what not to do, but we techs always do. You must register to access it, but the free registration will do well enough. :empathy2:

A little more serious now... If you contacted SAS, wait at least 12 hours for a reply, even 24-48 hours. They take the tech support cases from the paid version first and then, if there is time... the cases from the free version. Money talks! This is something like a rule for a free version of any software and most of the time, free versions do not have any tech support at all.

As a rule I teach my students: "always remember: when in doubt, re-install!". And don't forget to reboot.This is hilarious, but is true; most of the time a simple un-install > re-install > reboot, is all what is needed. (Also use a registry "cleaner / defragmenter" and scan for possible malware.) But sometimes there is more under the hood, like RAM problems, or software conflicts. :scratch_one-s_head: And don't forget: update, update, update... all, even the OS, drivers, utilities, etc. We techs call this to be caught by the "update wave".

Cheers!

#30 James (Jim) Hillier

Platinum Poster!

• Super Mod
                    • 903 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:36 AM

And don't forget: update, update, update... all, even the OS, drivers, utilities
                      I so disagree with that where drivers are concerned. I prefer to operate by the 'if it ain't broke, it don't need fixing' rule of thumb. I've seen many problems occur after driver updates have been needlessly applied.
                      Jim Hillier - Managing editor Daves Computer Tips.com

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

" } ); } $('gbl_d').update( "" ); _last = ipsLightbox.lightboxImage.src; } } /* Check for init and then keep checking for new image */ _to = setTimeout( "gbl_addDownloadButton()", 1000 ); } //]]>