The Safe Free Download Site

Why not become a full member?, it's fast, free and allows you to participate in our forums and add or comment on our free software, leave reviews, access unlimited free downloads and more! - we NEVER share your details with anyone else, that's a promise! ... REGISTER FREE TODAY

FreewareBB Giveaway: Online Armor Premium Firewall

Last chance to grab a free copy of Online Armor Premium Firewall (competition closes 22nd Dec) simply by posting a reply to this topic

");

Hi everyone, good to meet you

19 replies to this topic

#1 jrox57

New Poster!

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 08:04 PM

My name is Janis, and I love this site. I was using CNET, but kept getting all of these wonderful little add ons!
    I have a few questions to ask and I hope someone can help me
    1) I love Firefox and downloaded it a couple and a few days ago I got about 20 virus's.
    I had to remove Firefox and ended with Bing basically, which I can't stand.
    I had Avira Antivir, so I downloaded AVG too.
    2) I have now downloaded Firefox again 2 days ago and have had no problems, but AVG is not free now and I'd like a good Antiviral program.

Can anyone tell me the best one to use with Firefox and what other things I may need to help keep my computer safe?

Thanks in advance,
    Janis

#2 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
    • 12,945 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 08:10 PM

Hi Janis, welcome to the site firstly :)

As far as antivirus goes I'd always really recommend avast! - I've used it for many years now and it just seems to go from strength to strength, of course there are others equally as good in the site and I'd recommend taking a look at the recent poll on what our fab members think is the best, gives you a few more to consider https://freewarebb.com/topic/72382-best-freeware-antivirus-2011/

AVG is actually still free as far as I know, there are a couple of versions, the free one and paid one like most of the antiviruses - here's the link to the free one: https://freewarebb.com/files/file/2868-avg-antivirus-free/

If you're simply browsing the web and so forth, AVG or avast should suffice as a good antivirus, SuperAntiSpyware or MBAM for a regular spyware scan and something along the lines of Comodo or even the built-in firewall offers adequate protection these days :)

Hope that all helps
      Marko

#3 Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
      • 225 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 08:14 PM

That was quick Marko,,you read my mind ,,I was goin to suggest the very samething." Great minds think alike"!!!!

#4 Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
        • 225 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 09:13 PM

Oh, by the way,,,Hi Janis! Pretty name,,I bet it fits!!!! :bye:

#5 James (Jim) Hillier

Platinum Poster!

• Super Mod
          • 835 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 10:42 PM

Hi Janis, and welcome!!

I will add my vote (to Marko's) for Avast - it's the best!!

If you surf safe and with care, Avast should cover it for you nicely.

Cheers...Jim

Jim Hillier - Managing editor Daves Computer Tips.com

#6 jjj

Gold Poster!

• Advanced Member
            • 50 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 04:13 PM

Hi Janis,
              Just wondering how the 21 viruses were discovered, by AVIRA or another program?
              MSE from Microsoft is another good free antivirus, and ensure all updates are inplace.
              JJ

#7 jrox57

New Poster!

• Members
              • 4 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:07 PM

Thanks everyone for the good advice. I downloaded avast and reloaded Firefox and haven't had a problem since.
                The virus's kept coming up in the right hand side of my screen at the bottom.

Thanks for all of your quick responses, I really appreciate it.
                Janis

#8 Apokalipsys

Gold Poster!

• Advanced Member
                • 50 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 03:50 PM

Hi Janis:

Just as an extra protection I advise you to install, update and run (as Administrator, and preferable in "safe mode") Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and IObit Malware Fighter. For cleaning and maintenance purposes you can use CCleaner, Glary Utilities and even TweakNow PowerPack 2011. You can also give a shot to Spybot - Search & Destroy (yes... I know that this one is something like an endangered species, but it does a pretty good work... "S&D is dead..., long live S&D!"). :greeting:

For more info about "safe mode" you can read this and this.

If you are experiencing BsOD's then check this out:

When you say:

View Postjrox57, on 06 December 2011 - 12:07 PM, said:

The virus's kept coming up in the right hand side of my screen at the bottom.
                  It makes me think that you are really experiencing some kind of "spyware", so it might be a good idea to read also this.
                  You might also want to check this out. (Although this last one shows you how to solve conflicts related to Apple software, you can use the same procedure to enable or disable any other program.) When using this tool for diagnosis purposes, be aware to enable one program at a time and booting the system to verify and to avoid possible conflicts or to pinpoint the culprit of the malfunction and get rid of it once and for all.

#9 Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
                  • 225 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:38 PM

Whoa,,hold the phone buddy,,Iobit Malware Fight gave me false positives the 3 times I tested it,,including labeling SPK3 files as malware on my XP. If you're going to use good then use the original,, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. This is just my opinion!!!!

#10 Apokalipsys

Gold Poster!

• Advanced Member
                    • 50 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:51 PM

You are right.... Claw, iobit reports some false positives, but as with any malware removal tool, you must use care, common sense, document yourself and read... before taking the cleaning steps. How many times even Avast (and many others) has reported false positives that are then fixed with an update of the utility? Even those false positive are just part of the OS most of the time..., take a look at AVG, Kaspersky, McAfee and Symantec. Obit Malware Fighter is just another protection layer. You are also right about Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware being the original but IObit's is not so bad (neither it is the best). :blush: And don't forget to backup (including the registry) and to create a "Restore Point", in case of the worst to happen. :nea:

Be aware, you cannot have 2 (or more) av products on your OS at the same time. The same applies to firewalls.
                      Yes, multiple anti-spyware utilities can coexist, although there are some of them that reports the removed items from another (even other tools) as a false positive.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Alexa