Safe Freeware

Why not become a full member?, it's fast, free and allows you to participate in our forums and add or comment on our free software, leave reviews, access unlimited free downloads and more! - we NEVER share your details with anyone else, that's a promise! ... REGISTER FREE TODAY

");

SITE CHECKERS->WHAT R UR THOUGHTS??

4 replies to this topic

#1 Bozzie

New Poster!

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:37 PM

Of course, if none of these sites such as WOT, McAfee etc. were available, we'd be complaining.
    I find it, after all these years, being very annoyed at good, if not excellent sites being given a bad rap.
    Let's face it, nearly all these site checking gurus have bad rapped some site now or in the past.
    Thorough investigation IS what's needed before any of these site checkers post ANY information. Until this happens, we can all plan on going from one site checker to another:(

Edited by Bozzie, 05 December 2011 - 05:40 PM.

#2 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
    • 25,653 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 07:31 PM

Well, as a rule of thumb, I normally check any software site using Link Extend to give me an idea of what I'm looking at, if I don't see any rating at all I'll Google them also in case someone else is talking about them. If I see negative ratings then I'll investigate any of the claims as well as do our routine checks.

Basically, it gives me an edge 9/10 times - there have been times when people have been wrong, I've even contacted siteadvisor to explain they have made mistakes in the past, but they actually seem to be extremely slow to respond. Likewise, WOT has it's faults too, I've seen sites I wouldn't give the time of day to listed as green - it's really all about individual interpretation, although the downside is that some people will take it as gospel which can be dangerous.
      Please remember that we have people from many different timezones on the site and if your post requires a reply it could take longer at some at some points because of this.

Forums
      New Freeware on the site
      Updated Freeware on the site
      RSS Subscribe
      Report bad freeware here

#3 Apokalipsys

Gold Poster!

• Advanced Member
      • 50 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 07:46 PM

Bozzie, you should use those sites as a guide, not as a rule. I like to know what others think or say about any software; but finally, it is me, and just me, who makes the final decision. It is on me where the outcome of my decisions and actions resides. So, most of the time I am very careful... but not to the extreme. Be careful, not afraid...! :scratch_one-s_head:

Edited by Apokslipdyd, 05 December 2011 - 07:47 PM.

#4 James (Jim) Hillier

Platinum Poster!

• Super Mod
        • 956 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:03 PM

you should use those sites as a guide, not as a rule.
          Absolutely 100% correct!!

WOT utilizes a particularly vulnerable system of ratings. User input is fine but also susceptible to ignorance and open to abuse. Had a case very recently where a forum I frequent regularly banned a member and he badmouthed that forum site on WOT. He submitted some nasty and inaccurate comments and, of course, rated the site very poorly. The site is actually very well administered, very well moderated and extremely safe.

I have also seen many, many red ratings on WOT with associated comments suggesting that the site appears in a list of rogue/unsafe sites. I have checked those lists and found no mention of the targeted site whatsoever.

Common sense is key - do not take the ratings as being gospel, investigate further yourself. Apokslipdyd put it very well - be careful, not afraid.
          Jim Hillier - Managing editor Daves Computer Tips.com

#5 Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
          • 490 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:21 AM

There shouldn't be anything left to ask or even consider,,after reading the replies of Jim and Apokslipdyd!!!! You can't buy common sense!!!! :good: