Safe Freeware

Why not become a full member?, it's fast, free and allows you to participate in our forums and add or comment on our free software, leave reviews, access unlimited free downloads and more! - we NEVER share your details with anyone else, that's a promise! ... REGISTER FREE TODAY

");

Waiting for Windows 8?

9 replies to this topic

#1 Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
  • 476 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:32 AM

Is anyone out there looking forward to Windows 8 ,like my part of the world ?? Here in the Southern part of the U.S.,,it is all the talk of the computer world, and it's not even released yet!!!! Is everybody else ready to move on up already????

#2 Apokalipsys

Gold Poster!

• Advanced Member
    • 50 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:08 AM

If you want to try Windows 8, you can download the "Developer Preview". It is freely available here. The hardware requirements are similar to those of Windows 7. It as an alpha version, not even a beta... and it is intended for developers, not consumers. That means that it is very unstable; keep that in mind when playing with it. If you can, use a virtual machine to test it, don't use it as a replacement for your current OS. You can use VirtualBox for that. It can be found here. It is not meant to be use in production environments yet. Windows 8 is best when installed clean, not as an upgrade. In this version you will be able to take advantage of the full touch capabilities of the OS. :good:

The best way to play with it is: If you have a spare system that you can format your HDD, go for it... If not, the suggestion of the virtual machine should be the one. Besides, if you use a virtual machine, be sure to have CPU power and plenty of RAM and HDD for both, the host OS and Windows 8, and of course, their apps. On the other hand, if you decide to use separate hardware, be aware of possible problems and conflicts with drivers.

Most of the time the installer will not ask you for a key (Microsoft forgot about issuing keys with this alpha), but if it does, you can use this one: 6RH4V-HNTWC-JQKG8-RFR3R-36498.
      This is not illegal, trust me. You must activate the OS before you can customize it.

Believe me, it worth the look! Go ahead and don't be afraid to play... Hurry, this release will be due on March next year (I forgot the exact date.., sorry!), but rumors say that there should be around a possible beta by February. As I tell my students, "spoiling you will learn". Read before trying anything. Learn and enjoy!!! :gamer:

There are already plenty of published evaluations and reviews of the OS on the Web pinpointing many features and changes, and discussing the pros and cons... The feelings about it are very mixed up. As Heraclitus said, "the only constant in the universe is change". We can resist to it, but ultimately it will always come.

As a personal note here, I found the 64 bits version to be more stable and faster than the 32 bits.

P.D.: When using VirtualBox to test Windows 8, you must enable hardware virtualization through your BIOS; software virtualization is not supported for 64-bit VMs. Your BIOS must be capable to do this, even for the 32 bits guest of Windows 8 (for now); if it is not capable of hardware virtualization, then... Houston, we got a problem... and independent hardware is the only way.

#3 James (Jim) Hillier

Platinum Poster!

• Super Mod
      • 948 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:48 AM

It should also be noted that the current Windows 8 Developer Preview is very much subject to change. Microsoft has already intimated at almost certain changes, most involving the Metro UI, after being bombarded with complaints.

Inherent functionality of the OS will remain however so, as Apokslipdyd said, the Developer Preview would still be a good path to familiarity.

@Apokslipdyd - No offense mate but we've gotta change that username, it's a pain in the you know what to keep typing it out. Maybe we can give you a nickname that you can adopt - any suggestions?? :)
        Jim Hillier - Managing editor Daves Computer Tips.com

#4 Apokalipsys

Gold Poster!

• Advanced Member
        • 50 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:08 PM

As with any alpha or beta version, the software is always subject to big changes without notice. Microsoft has even made big changes to stable versions... And the Metro interface, although I like it, a radical change like this without promoting a proper transition is not advised.

Sorry Jim, no offense taken but I will try to change the username, it was my mistake (a huge one) to use that... :nea: ... heck, I don't even like it.

#5 James (Jim) Hillier

Platinum Poster!

• Super Mod
          • 948 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:43 PM

No need to change it mate, that might make for some complications. If we can just figure out a way to shorten it and still be able to recognize that it's you. Maybe 'Apo' or 'Apok' - something that doesn't require having to keep going back and checking the correct spelling. :)

#6 Apokalipsys

Gold Poster!

• Advanced Member
            • 50 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:46 PM

Done! Changed my display name from Apokslipdyd to Apokalipsys... it should be easier now. My previous name was a horrendous mistake (just another one for me...!), and this new one, although there seem to be something misspelled in it... it isn't, it is the intended one. I have used it for years on other sites, but you are free to shorten it as you like! :lol:

#7 Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
              • 476 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:49 PM

So then you're ok with me calling you Apok or Apok1,Apok-1 or ,,you pick!!!! The new name sounds like"Apocalypse" which doesn't sound to cheery.
                No offense!!!Lol!! :sarcastic:
                '

#8 Apokalipsys

Gold Poster!

• Advanced Member
                • 50 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 05:05 PM

Yes... you can call me that. (My real name is Juan) I really don't care as long as you know who am I.

None taken buddy! I know it doesn't sound so cheesy, but it was pick up for me by a very dear friend... I kind of like it! It is not common... :good:

#9 Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
                  • 476 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:18 PM

Windows 8 sounds like it may be interesting,,Win7 just left the gate,,and frankly I still have fun and no problems so far playing around with my old WinXP!!!! I upgraded a Win98 and a Win2000 to XP for a friend,all they really needed was alittle extra RAM and a couple drivers. I'm on a HP Pavilion dv5000 running XP this at very monent and sitting next to me is an HP Pavilion 564w running XP(just repaired this one),have a Dell too!!!!
                    Some users just have to have the newest of everything as soon as it comes out,,,Me? I just have fun at what I have,,unless it's needed for employment or a specific reason. To Each His Own!!!! :good: After the hurricane,,material things don't much matter anymore!!!!

#10 James (Jim) Hillier

Platinum Poster!

• Super Mod
                    • 948 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:19 PM

Aha - Juan!! i like that, short and sweet - just like Jim. :)