1 reply to this topic

#1 PCRacer

PCRacer

Platinum Poster!

• Developer
  • 147 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 12:54 PM

Click here to download this file
    If you don't like it, don't use it or blame me for it!

#2 James (Jim) Hillier

James (Jim) Hillier

Platinum Poster!

• Super Mod
    • 1,129 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:16 PM

The portable aspect of QT Writer Express is of particular significance for me, it enables me to travel around, collect material and compile notes and articles on the go. QT Writer Express includes just about every required feature/function with one notable exception ? there is no automatic spell checking, in fact there is no spell checker at all. Is that a huge problem? No, I don?t believe so. Bear in mind this software was designed with the focus primarily on portability and size ? extracted files total just 2.72MB and QT Writer Express is guaranteed completely portable. If you absolutely cannot live without spell checking you can always double check for spelling errors at your home base or download the fully portable SSuite Office Spell Checker HERE.

QT Writer Express interface.png
      The left hand panel provides access to all the usual formatting options; including font, color, and size ? indentation left and right ? adjust lines of spacing when pressing ?Enter? ? bullet and numbered lists. Note also the word and character counters which increase exponentially as you type ? a very useful feature if your are compiling any character or word limited document. Compatible formats include rtf, doc, pdf and txt ? yes, you can save as PDF! I only have one very minor complaint; QT Writer Express does not currently include an option to apply hyperlinks to specific text ? one can only type in (or copy and paste) the URL. I sent a message to the developer asking if there are any plans to incorporate the feature in future releases ? here is the prompt and clear reply:

To answer your question, there is no way in applying hyperlinks to specified text. We are using a moderately basic rich text editor that is equivalent to Wordpad and is also based on the Windows rich text DLL file provided by Microsoft{riched20.dll}. This then limits us in functionality and features other more commercial word processors might have
      A little disappointing but totally honest and, for me anyway, certainly no deal breaker. QT Writer Express may not be quite as full featured as some of the commercial offerings but it certainly covers all the options I am looking for, plus it is very small and portable to boot? a definite keeper.

Jim Hillier - Managing editor Daves Computer Tips.com