"); //]]>
");

Best PDF Viewer

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic
"); //]]>

Poll: Best PDF Viewer (50 member(s) have cast votes)

Best PDF Viewer

1. Adobe Reader (13 votes [26.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.00%

2. Cool PDF Reader (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. eXPert PDF Reader (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Evince (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Flipping PDF Reader (0 votes [0.00%])

6. Foxit PDF Reader (14 votes [28.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.00%

7. Haihaisoft PDF Reader (0 votes [0.00%])

8. Nitro PDF Reader (9 votes [18.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.00%

9. Nuance PDF Reader (0 votes [0.00%])

10. PDF-Xchange Viewer (11 votes [22.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.00%

11. STDU Viewer (0 votes [0.00%])

12. Sumatra PDF (3 votes [6.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.00%

13. Other (please specify) (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Administrators
  • 12,278 posts
    Chances are we've all used Adobe Reader at point in our lives, there's often no getting away from it, but there have been a lot of really good alternatives available, especially considering Adobe themselves have jumped on the whole "bundled" software bandwagon recently and we're asking which PDF reader do you consider to be amongst the best you've used?.
    Please post your queries, requests and enquiries in the forums - do not PM me directly as I cannot answer everyone individually - your post stands a much better chance of receiving multiple replies from other members too on the forums.

Please remember that we have people from many different timezones on the site and if your post requires a reply it could take longer at some at some points because of this.

Forums
    New Freeware on the site
    Updated Freeware on the site
    RSS Subscribe
    Report bad freeware here

FrancisV

FrancisV

Advanced Poster!

• Advanced Member
    • 19 posts
      Been using Foxit for years now and still (very) happy with it. There may be other good readers around, but the ones I've tried over the years (not that many!) didn't show any significant over Foxit... Made a go at the latest Adobe one not so long ago (for a reason I forgot ;-). Uninstalled: a bit less sluggish than before, but still a resource an memory hog. Also loads stuff at start-up which i really don't want. So...

James (Jim) Hillier

James (Jim) Hillier

Platinum Poster!

• Super Mod
      • 1,207 posts
        Well I gave up on Foxit years ago, not long after they first introduced the Ask Toolbar into the free version. When they later decided to disable features if installation of the toolbar was declined I decided it was time to look elsewhere.

PDF readers is a difficult category to define because it depends entirely on what features the end user is looking for. Some want to merely open and view PDF docs while others would like to also have some basic tools included. For the former I would say Sumatra is top pick, for the latter either PDF-Xchange or Nitro.

I use Sumatra myself for simple viewing and utilize online apps for anything extra.
        Jim Hillier - Managing editor Daves Computer Tips.com

BigB

BigB

Gold Poster!

• Advanced Member
        • 60 posts
          I get Foxit Enterprise without the toolbar from Foxit themselves. I cannot see the link on their site anymore but it comes as an MSI installer.

Edit: Found the link.
          http://foxitsoftware.com/Secure_PDF_Reader/enterprise_register.php

CraftyBill

CraftyBill

Advanced Poster!

• Advanced Member
          • 12 posts
            I voted for Adobe simply because it is the only PDF reader I have ever used. I really have nothing to compare it to , but there's my choice such as it is.

James (Jim) Hillier

James (Jim) Hillier

Platinum Poster!

• Super Mod
            • 1,207 posts

View PostBigB, on 10 January 2012 - 01:59 PM, said:

I get Foxit Enterprise without the toolbar from Foxit themselves. I cannot see the link on their site anymore but it comes as an MSI installer.

Edit: Found the link.
              http://foxitsoftware.com/Secure_PDF_Reader/enterprise_register.php

Thanks for the info BigB, it may prove useful for others. Me, I tend to dig my toes in when developers start with these shenanigans. I was prepared to accept the Ask Toolbar as it was optional but when they decided to disable certain features if installation was declined I placed Foxit firmly in my mental  blacklist - purely on principle.

marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Administrators
              • 12,278 posts
                I actually completely forgot all about that Jimbo, I must be using an early version then but it does raise a serious question over whether or not we can consider this a forceful install or not - it doesn't force the ask! toolbar, but will omit certain features if you don't ... hmmmm, looking at the comments on the file itself (https://freewarebb.com/files/file/5834-foxit-pdf-reader/) we know it's possible to download an alternative version but this doesn't alter the fact that the "good" download may not always be available and if I update the listing without remembering those details I could be offering up the one which installs ask!.

Think this may be one for the members to vote on, might start a new thread for this one :)
                Please post your queries, requests and enquiries in the forums - do not PM me directly as I cannot answer everyone individually - your post stands a much better chance of receiving multiple replies from other members too on the forums.

Please remember that we have people from many different timezones on the site and if your post requires a reply it could take longer at some at some points because of this.

Forums
                New Freeware on the site
                Updated Freeware on the site
                RSS Subscribe
                Report bad freeware here

rr032

rr032

New Poster!

• Advanced Member
                • 9 posts
                  Same situation as others, it's the only PDF tool I have ever used, but I don't really like  the latest version, , so might give another programme a try

FutureShock

FutureShock

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
                  • 649 posts
                    Haven't ever tried any but Adobe...

Not related to this discussion and not related to freeware issues, but Adobe is a company I have long believed has good things coming to it.  Some of these companies that have really been at it for a long time through all the thick and thin with the internet and changes, I really root for them.  I'm pulling for Adobe to become a major player at something, because of their long standing commitment to keeping the reader free.  I admit I do seem to recall a testy time 10 or 15 years ago with the reader when it wasn't certain it would remain free, but it did as far as I know remain so.  Another one is Netscape.  I haven't buried them, yet, even though there is technically no such thing, right now.  Netscape got alot of us through the early years of the mass internet and introduced us to "surfing".  I still keep a copy on board and use it when I just want a light fast browser.  Most things work in it...

Cheers to 2012

James (Jim) Hillier

James (Jim) Hillier

Platinum Poster!

• Super Mod
                    • 1,207 posts

View Postmarko, on 10 January 2012 - 04:34 PM, said:

I actually completely forgot all about that Jimbo, I must be using an early version then but it does raise a serious question over whether or not we can consider this a forceful install or not - it doesn't force the ask! toolbar, but will omit certain features if you don't ... hmmmm, looking at the comments on the file itself (https://freewarebb.com/files/file/5834-foxit-pdf-reader/) we know it's possible to download an alternative version but this doesn't alter the fact that the "good" download may not always be available and if I update the listing without remembering those details I could be offering up the one which installs ask!.

Think this may be one for the members to vote on, might start a new thread for this one :)

This all happened some time ago Marko, not certain if Foxit have continued on with the practice or not. It may well be that the current version does not try to blackmail the user into installing the Ask Toolbar.